Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #61
Yokoelf
Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've just finished "The call of Cthulhu" - had to find out why it's well-known (and popular?) - and I don't think I've come nearer an answer
It never really grabbed me, he keeps telling us how terrible and horrible and hideous things are, and it's just... boring. I'm glad it was short. I guess I maybe could enjoy it as a piece of kitch
I felt the same way when I read it for the first time.

But then, I started reading other Lovecraft stories, some of them are interconnected, so building the Cthulhu Mythos. After all, I became a fan of Lovecraft. "The Call of Cthulhu" alone really have nothing in special.
Yokoelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #62
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Shadow Over Innsmouth will always be my favorite. The book on tape at Audible is AWESOME.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #63
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
For me it'll always be At the Mountains of Madness. Pretty much nothing tangible ever happens or is seen, but still I've seldom had as strong chills running down my back as those provided by that story.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #64
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
the producers of the Call of Cthulhu movie have a new Lovecraft film out. this one is a talkie -

http://www.amazon.com/The-Whisperer-...0843288&sr=8-1

i really wish i could get into the early horror authors. they just don't suck me in the way lovecraft did. i should love robert e. howards stuff too but i just can't get into it.
It is very well done also.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #65
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I like Poe better. lol. Although the fungi from yuggoth by lovecraft is one of the best poems I've ever read. It peters out a bit towards the end but you can't expect someone to sustain that kind of creativity forever.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #66
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i just did a count and i have 2 lovecraft omnibuses (B&N hardcover, library of congress hardcover), 6 separate collections (4 hardcovers from arkham house, 2 separate B&N trades), 2 ebook compilations and a trade edition of the case of charles dexter ward. i think i'm a tad obsessive lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote