Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Don't have a reader yet BUT.......

I now have 23 books downloaded onto my computer ready for one!
That was all the free ones from Sony's site that I thought I would read when I get one. Do they put free ones up on a monthly basis? Don't get me wrong, I will be buying some when the time comes but who doesn't like getting something for free.
I really want to run out and buy one NOW but I'm trying to be patient. It's just not going very well.
I'm going to be honest here, I have this habit of buying something, using it for a short time (PSP, Nintendo DS, WII, etc.) and then putting it on a shelf and not using it too much after that. I really don't see myself doing that with this item? Does anyone else have this same sickness? Have you used your reader as much as you thought you would?
Thanks again for all the help!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Its a bit surprising to me but I have found that I am reading more since I bought the reader than I ever did when I was reading paper books.
I read it everywhere such the cafe, the beach and the park
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm like tech_au in this regard. I agonized over a 500 hoping I'd get a gift certificate for my birthday back in mid-07. But I didn't so I kept agonizing over the thing. Then the 505 came out and I vowed that, if I didn't get a gift certificate for Christmas, I'd just buy the 505.

As it turned out I got some great looking (and much needed) shirts for Christmas. So, I walked into the Sony Style store here in Northern VA just after Christmas, ready to pay full price and discovered, to my delight, they had a bunch of 505 window displays on sale for 40% off so I grabbed it!

And, like tech_au, I read more now than before I got the 505. It is so convenient and portable, that I almost always have it at hand. I even read from it on the treadmill at the gym.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
I'm in the same quandry. I obsess over new gadgets for the longest time and then after I give in and buy something, I only use it for a little while before it gets put away. (I just bought a DSLR Nikon camera I'd been agonising over for a year and now it's sitting in a drawer until I go on my next trip.)

Knowing this, I've put off buying the PRS-700 - my latest obsession - because I don't want to spend so much money on something I won't use often. On the other hand, I'm a voracious reader. If I have the time I can read 3-4 books a day although when I'm working it goes down to maybe a book a day. I know, I'm such a nerd! Anyways, my thinking is that if I can find enough ebooks to keep me occupied for the next 6 months, I'm going to take the plunge and get the Reader. I've already managed to load up about 100 free books and have wishlisted a whole bunch on vendor sites so I think I might be able to justify the cost. In the meantime, I've given up buying pbooks and will just re-read the 1000+ books I've got sitting at home.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi ReD and welcome to the Forum. I've done the same things with some gadgets in the past. I agonized over getting a Newton and finally did when the prices dropped and ended up not using it much at all.

OTOH, I bought an iPaq back in 2000 and used it a LOT. Ditto, the 505. I couldn't stand waiting for the thing to charge up so I could start reading. In fact, if it wasn't for this damned Forum, I'd spend all my free time reading on the 505.
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I highly doubt you'll get bored with it. I have the same problem with gadgets, but not my 505. I've had it for 8 months and we're still going strong baby

There are freebies a lot. It was a good idea to snag them now in preparation for your Reader I read two of the Harlequin freebies and loved them (so much I'm checking out the authors to buy more of their books).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

I've grabbed and read a lot of freebies too. 1632 by Eric Flint and The Surgeon by Tess Gerritson, to name a couple.

Problem with doing that is, you get hooked on the things and have to buy the rest of the series. Damn, these free books are expensive!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
For many years I was a very casual reader. I would go to the book store and buy 3-5 books which would last me 4-6 months. I used to only read at night and sometimes during lunch but it was too difficult to hold a paperback while eating a sandwich.

I started looking at electronic readers about a year ago before my significant other surprised me with one last Valentine's day. I was skeptical that it wouldn't be used enough as I didn't know much about formats or where I could find books (then I found Mobileread).

My pace of reading maybe one book a month has turned into one book a week. I carry my reader with me everywhere I go. If I'm out waiting for someone I can always get in a few pages before they show up. I can read (one-handed) while I eat. With the resource of all the free books available at Mobileread and the discovery of checking out ebooks from my local library, I have only purchased 7 books in the year's time I have owned this device. The inside joke between me and my significant other is she will never be able to buy me a gift that will equal my Sony Reader. Any gift in the future will be a letdown compared to this.

Ebooks and electronic readers aren't for everyone, but having this device, the convience to take it anywhere and the availability of free books has opened a whole other world of books that I would never read due to having to buy them.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Stacey34--

I noticed you're from Ohio. You need to check out the library books available for download from the Clevnet library system for free as long as you have a valid library card.

http://emedia.clevnet.org/8F3B04C3-B...en/Default.htm

As far as I know, Clevnet is the only library system currently offering e-pub books for download--these and the Adobe PDF books they have will work on your new Sony 505. Of course they have time limits on the download, so you won't want to check them out until you actually have your reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=Stacey34;348735]I now have 23 books downloaded onto my computer ready for one!
That was all the free ones from Sony's site that I thought I would read when I get one. Do they put free ones up on a monthly basis? Don't get me wrong, I will be buying some when the time comes but who doesn't like getting something for free.
I really want to run out and buy one NOW but I'm trying to be patient. It's just not going very well.
I'm going to be honest here, I have this habit of buying something, using it for a short time (PSP, Nintendo DS, WII, etc.) and then putting it on a shelf and not using it too much after that. I really don't see myself doing that with this item? Does anyone else have this same sickness? Have you used your reader as much as you thought you would?
Thanks again for all the help![/Q

Hello, Stacy, and welcome to MobileRead. Don't forget all the free books for downloading here.

The e-book readers, regardless of brands, seem to be one of those things people don't tire of.

We always read, don't we?

And most of us are reading more, because we're rediscovering 'old friends' thanks to sites like this, and discovering newer independent authors.

Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote