Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle shortages by design?

So believes Bernstein Research analyst Jeffrey Lindsay. Reuters reports:

Quote:
Lindsay said backlogs were likely due to Amazon's desire to control Kindle's deployment, adding that Flextronics International Ltd, which many believe manufactures the Kindle for Amazon, could produce them faster and cheaper.

Keeping the Kindle scarce keeps the level of excitement high, and keeps people talking about Amazon, Lindsay added.

Amazon's desire to preserve its success with physical book sales is why it will not sharply lower Kindle's price, he said.
Related: Amazon Kindle 2.0 rumors - price increase
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think they kept them too scarce though, if that is true. They lost a lot of sales over the holidays to Sony and others.

But I doubt they are worried about their physical book sales. Why would they?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If anything, I'd guess that keeping the Kindle scarce is a way to guarantee high sales of Kindle 2 when it comes out, without having to worry about backlogged Kindle 1s.

Considering there are other sources of readers, like Sony, and Amazon hasn't done much to differentiate its product from them in the eyes of the general public, I'd say "keeping the excitement high" is more likely to backfire as those "excited" potential customers get a Sony instead. (Heck, if I didn't know there was a difference in the way they worked... I'd buy a Sony in a hot second!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
...Considering there are other sources of readers, like Sony, and Amazon hasn't done much to differentiate its product from them in the eyes of the general public...
I'm not sure of that. Back in the old days (before I started hanging out here on MR) I didn't even know Sony made a reader. I don't think Amazon has to differentiate when the level of awareness of other readers is so low in the general population.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
That article's argument is one of the silliest things I have ever read.

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-06-2009 at 01:33 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think they are rather well differentiated. Amazon has a huge, highly visible book store with low prices, good service, free samples and wireless delivery. That matters to a lot of people.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Amazon's desire to preserve its success with physical book sales is why it will not sharply lower Kindle's price, he said.
This seems a bit silly. Back when I bought paper books, I bought from many sources, usually brick and mortar. I bought a fair amount of stuff from Amazon but they only got a small percentage of my book buying dollar. I buy fewer books now (due to the free samples) but pretty much all the books I purchase come from Amazon. I think that's likely true of most Kindle owners. People focus so much on sales of the Kindle because it's the big ticket item in this picture but the 80 or so books I've bought in the last year from them isn't insignificant.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think they are rather well differentiated. Amazon has a huge, highly visible book store with low prices, good service, free samples and wireless delivery. That matters to a lot of people.
I was thinking of the fact that it is not made that clear that someone just hearing about e-books, and purchasing a Sony reader, say, won't get those same features. I do not get the impression that casual consumers are really aware of the difference.

But it has been argued that "casual consumers" likely won't be buying these devices anyway...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I was thinking of the fact that it is not made that clear that someone just hearing about e-books, and purchasing a Sony reader, say, won't get those same features. I do not get the impression that casual consumers are really aware of the difference.

But it has been argued that "casual consumers" likely won't be buying these devices anyway...
I think you have a point. We did have a couple people in here after the Kindle store first launched who had bought a Sony reader instead and couldn't figure out how to buy books from Amazon. They were pretty peeved when we told them they couldn't. They had seen the Kindle and the links for Sony Readers also on Amazon (though sold by Amazon Sellers) and they just assumed it would all work together. They hadn't really done any research. I don't think most folks do.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
If you are about to release Kindle 2.0 then limiting purchases of Kindle 1.0 doesn't seem like a really smart way of increasing buzz.

However, if Amazon's supplier could produce the devices then it doesn't seem very smart to get Oprah to market the product and then not have enough to sell. Nor does it seem very smart to not have enough to sell for the Christmas season. So who knows.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in considering the thought that Amazon caused a shortage on purpose.
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Perhaps they wanted customers to still have money for their next version..(Kindle 2)
The first version usually comes with issues.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
sure it does - we're sitting here talking about it. so are other people i know, some of whom haven't even considered an ebook reader at this point. and people love to feel they are scoring something scarce - maybe it's the hunter/gatherer in us. while i doubt that amazon ran out of kindles on purpose, you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
If you are about to release Kindle 2.0 then limiting purchases of Kindle 1.0 doesn't seem like a really smart way of increasing buzz.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
A second version generally will be looked at in a better light then the first version.
Expected will be that it will not only do better, but look better, and do more!
Why else have a reader upgrade?

I'm sorry about the comment (kindle 2).
I just hadn't read the reply.This page was loaded this morning; I had things to do, and I only posted the reply now (evening).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I think there was a planned 30-60 day gap between Kindle 1 and 2 (otherwise, they would be dealing with people unhappy having just bought a Kindle 1 and/or returning Kindle 1 if less than 30 days).

However, I think they planned production based on what they thought they needed to get through the holidays but the unanticipated volume of Oprahs sales made them run out earlier than anticipated.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote