Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #61
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corband View Post
For the life of me I can not understand what the annotation function on the Kindle or new Sony 700 would be used for. Once you annotate a book, due you down load it to your computer, can you print it out? So here I am reading a book and annotate a passage, then what? Help, explain to me how you use this function.
Have you never made margin notes on a book you were reading? There are many reasons for doing so, and this is the improved electronic version of that.

I don't use that feature often on my Kindle, but for some types of reading (especially non-fiction) I find it very valuable.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #62
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
For proof-reading -- or just being nice and noting glaring errors while you are reading the book for pure enjoyment -- the Kindle's "highlight" feature is nice. It draws a box around the line(s) you select. AND at the same time, it writes the line(s) inside the box to an external text file "My Clippings".

So when you are done reading, you just upload the clippings file to a computer, and you can send it to the book's compiler. I send the whole sentence, so it is search/findable -- hopefully, the typo or spelling error is obvious. Or, since I know the topic of the book, I might edit the clippings file to point out which word needs to be fixed. "She" for "he" or some such.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #63
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
I admit, I'm very surprised that the #1 target market are people that already have a Kindle - I can't imagine the changes that would make me want to upgrade within the space of a year. I know the first adopters have had theirs for about 15 months or so, but that still seems really fast.
They would be thinking family members. Kindles tend to be coveted and then family members will get their own, etc., and in many cases sharing accounts.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #64
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Even if you cannot do that it is very useful to have annotations. On my Cybook I bookmark every page that is interesting for a book discussion. I would really like to have the ability to add an annotation so I know why I bookmarked the page.

So to read all you annotations you only have to check all bookmarks (if the ability to go to next annotation is not available).
I like the 'highlighting' of paragraphs that is possible and do this quite often, so I can refer to it when discussing the book with someone or reporting on it.

You can click to go to bookmarks or highlighted areas on pages - as well as to your annotations.

What's really nice is that if you enable annotation and highlighting backup, these will stay with your book copy on the Amazon servers -- so, if you delete the book to save space and want to re-download it later from your Amazon media library you can just download the book again at no cost and all your pror highlighting and notes will be included with the download of the book.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #65
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Buzzzzz. Wrong - but thanks for playing! <G>
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #66
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Buzzzzz. Wrong - but thanks for playing! <G>
Technically there is an increase though. No cover is included, which is something you need. It is an extra $30.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #67
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
What's really nice is that if you enable annotation and highlighting backup, these will stay with your book copy on the Amazon servers -- so, if you delete the book to save space and want to re-download it later from your Amazon media library you can just download the book again at no cost and all your pror highlighting and notes will be included with the download of the book.
Brilliant! It is these kind of added value that will motivate people to pay for a book instead of downloading it from a questionable source. You pay for the total reading experience. And Amazon has probably realized that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote