Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2023, 02:42 PM   #1
eLDeus
eLDeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad 1 mini
How to tag PDFs with Calibre for PocketBook 740?

If I assign a specific tag on an ebook in Calibre and send it to my PocketBook 740 it will appear under the corresponding genre section. But if I tag a PDF book the same way it just won't appear under the same section. How can it be achieved?

Does it need a PDF editor to assign a tag so it would appear on the reader in the same section among ebooks with no need to switch to a file type filter every time which is obviously inconvenient?

Thanks
eLDeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure about sending PDF's to Pocketbooks, but if you use the Embed metadata tool against the PDF then whatever is in Tags will be copied to the PDF Keywords property. You will need to add the Embed metadata tool to a Toolbar or menu, or give it a Keyboard shortcut.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2023, 03:02 AM   #3
eLDeus

I added a new PDF in Calibre, assigned a tag, then added to the top panel the Embed metadata icon and click on it while the PDF was selected, nothing happened visually, but I believe the metadata was copied into the PDF. I sent the file to the reader, but unfortunately, the book didn't appear under the genres section.

Maybe PocketBook is designed to display only ebooks under that section? Thank you
Old 06-30-2023, 03:23 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Assuming you have a PDF viewer on you computer, open the PDF with it and look for an option in the File menu named Properties - this is what I see in PDF xChange:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-30 171554.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	202366

If "Genre" is a custom column you wont see it, unless you go into Advanced and I very much doubt a Pocketbook is going to do that.

BR
Old 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM   #5
eLDeus

Yes, the keyword is there, in the PDFs Properties, but I guess it is not linked with the Genres section in PocketBook, though the authors section works fine for PDFs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	202374  
Advert
Old 06-30-2023, 06:51 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Suggest you ask in the PocketBook forum.

BR
Old 07-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #7
eLDeus

Thank you for your help. I asked support, and apparently, they didn't know it doesn't support pdf sorting by genres, anyway, the first their recommendation was about to reset the device to clear the cache, but it didn't help.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:03 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLDeus View Post
Thank you for your help. I asked support, and apparently, they didn't know it doesn't support pdf sorting by genres, anyway, the first their recommendation was about to reset the device to clear the cache, but it didn't help.
The next suggestion will be to turn-off the Pocketbook's anti-virus

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-02-2023 at 03:08 AM.

Tags
pocketbook 740, tags