Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
chair-desk-book
chair-desk-book began at the beginning.

Device: PDF
Question Roll Back Insurance

Hi,

Owing to my reliance on plugins, I once upgraded my Calibre and I found that the plug-ins I needed didn't work. At that point it was pretty tricky for me to figure out how to roll back to the previous version.

Is there any way I could self-contain my current, working installation, and then put it aside somewhere? So that, should my upgrade to the latest version not support the plugins that I need, I could easily and quickly just roll back to the working version that I had been using before?

Thanks!

Cab
chair-desk-book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A rollback is just an uninstall/ reinstall of whatever version you want! No need to overthink things.

An uninstall does NOT delete either your library(s) or settings.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There are some limitations. If you open a calibre library in a version 5 or later release of calibre then it will be upgraded in a way that makes it no longer compatible with any calibre version prior to 4.23.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chair-desk-book View Post
Hi,

Owing to my reliance on plugins, I once upgraded my Calibre and I found that the plug-ins I needed didn't work. At that point it was pretty tricky for me to figure out how to roll back to the previous version.

Is there any way I could self-contain my current, working installation, and then put it aside somewhere? So that, should my upgrade to the latest version not support the plugins that I need, I could easily and quickly just roll back to the working version that I had been using before?

Thanks!

Cab
What plugin is it that no longer works? If it's DeDRM, version 10.0.3 does work with Calibre 6.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:29 PM   #5
chair-desk-book
chair-desk-book began at the beginning.

Device: PDF
Hi Peter T, Jjhowell and JSWolf!

Peter T! GOT IT! Sounds good. Sounds like the KEY thing for me to do is just to be sure that I've got the download of the version I'm CURRENTLY using set aside somewhere. Is there some OFFICIAL page with all the earlier versions?

jhowell - Ah! KEY point! I'm using 5.42.0 now. So, seems like I'd be okay for the uninstall / reinstall if something went south? Is that right?

And! Judging from what you mention there - key thing seems to be...how to back up one's library? How do you handle that: daily, hourly? Via some plugin or just a standard backup you're running for your whole system?

JSWolf! Ah! It is a plugin whose name...one never mentions! :P

To ALL - key thing, according to the LAST time I was brave enough to do this - was having to reconfigure the plugins? Somehow, it seems that the upgrade, if one EQUALLY installs the associated plugin upgrades, should be sort of...self-healing? Right? Like - they should just work?

Sincerely,

CDB
chair-desk-book is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of the PI developers, puts older versions of his PI's in this thread ==>> 'Old' Plugins for 'Old' Calibre Versions.

It's an open thread, but I don't know that any of the other PI developers use it.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:37 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Old versions of calibre are available at https://download.calibre-ebook.com/

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:17 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi Peter T, Jjhowell and JSWolf!

Peter T! GOT IT! Sounds good. Sounds like the KEY thing for me to do is just to be sure that I've got the download of the version I'm CURRENTLY using set aside somewhere. Is there some OFFICIAL page with all the earlier versions?

jhowell - Ah! KEY point! I'm using 5.42.0 now. So, seems like I'd be okay for the uninstall / reinstall if something went south? Is that right?

And! Judging from what you mention there - key thing seems to be...how to back up one's library? How do you handle that: daily, hourly? Via some plugin or just a standard backup you're running for your whole system?

JSWolf! Ah! It is a plugin whose name...one never mentions! :P

To ALL - key thing, according to the LAST time I was brave enough to do this - was having to reconfigure the plugins? Somehow, it seems that the upgrade, if one EQUALLY installs the associated plugin upgrades, should be sort of...self-healing? Right? Like - they should just work?

Sincerely,

CDB
DeDRM 10.0.3 can be gotten at https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools

Is there are reason you cannot run Calibre 6? DeDRM 10.0.3 works with Calibre 6.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I always keep the installation files for software I am running along with at least one version back. It's not as necessary for calibre since all previous releases are currently available online as others heave noted.

Quote:
It is a good idea to have at least one backup. There are lots of backup solutions. I use FreeFileSync to make occasional local copies and IDrive for daily online backup. Those meet my needs. I recommend doing your own research to find out what would work best for you.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote