Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Strange error converting ePub to PDF

Quote:
DNS config watch failed
Indeed, the ePub has some links, but no resource needs to be downloaded or anything else treated, just links to the outside (webpages).

What to be done to get rid of this error? I use 4.2 but on the other computer with an older version (2.5 I think) I never ever had any issues converting to PDF, even linked photos from the outside world, apart from some minor issues.

Thanks in advance
Ghitulescu
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, that was quick

Thank you for the quick answer.
Silly me, I thought the error message would have been enough, similar to eg TPMS battery failure which immediately indicates to the connoisseur that the battery of the sensor inside the wheel died.
In this case DNS means that calibre tried to contact a Domain Name Server (why?) which is not available, for one reason or the other, or so I thought.

I will restart the conversion to get a new log.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
PDF is rendered using chromium. And the DNS failure is almost certainly not the actual error.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:30 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

After I deleted every single reference to http https, the error has changed in
Quote:
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming u'CormorantSC-Regular.ttf' from manifest
Trimming u'cover.xhtml' from manifest
Trimming u'ViaodaLibre-Regular.ttf' from manifest
Creating PDF Output...
Converting input as a text based book...
P
Yes, P is there and should be probably a full word.
I did not save the old log.
Anyway, there is another hint that something might be wrong, in that I think the book is treated as it would be epub3 instead of, correctly, epub2. I could not find any settings to set/unset, although the help says there should be a function somewhere to "upgrade" epub2 to epub3, which I do not want.
Advert
Old 05-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Rather than messing around, changing the book etc, why not just post the entire log not just selected portions.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:25 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

[solved]

The http and https references were anyway "accidents" and they should have been anyway removed. It's not messing with the book but rather a natural evolution. I am the author and I decide what it contains and how it displays it.
There are no errors, only the same things repeated on and on for each of the files in manifest (parsing bla bla bla). It was a long file, for I have more than 200 text files and even more images. And it was discarded anyway.
The problem newer versions have and the main reason I keep some older ones is that newer versions badly screwed up the Calibre official way of printing an epub, via PDF. Why I need printing? For I can read better on real paper and see the spelling errors or any other errors (for instance, I can compare two pages for duplicated ideas or statements and stuff, and I can better see whether a certain glyph is lacking from a font, which I can't always see in the preview window).

I am sorry that I thought it would be an easy job, for I never thought a DNS error should occur in an epub->pdf conversion , particularly when the author said that accessing the external resources was a corrected error of some earlier versions, and therefore if occurred it should have occurred in a specific module. From what I learned yesterday, it may be one of the errors passed to calibre by chrome pdf-engine.

Anyway, the problem was solved by using the conversion of a good old 2.5 version.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:02 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Printing a PDF from the ebook Viewer seems to work OK.
But all my ebook creation is from odt files with and extra Save As in docx for Calibre. So I only create PDFs direct from LO Writer PDF export which has been perfect for years.
I did try both the Calibre ePub to PDF conversion and PDF print from the Calibre Viewer showing an epub out of curiosity.

As an aside I was printing drafts of books and project proposals and documentation I was writing on paper to annotate from 1983. About 2014 I switched to preview, proof and annotate on ereaders. Far superior as you can change font size, margins etc and copy back annotations to laptop. As good as reading on paper now.
It's saving money & and environment. Maybe nearly 7,000 A4 sheets and associated toner.

Dotmatrix and line printer (at work, for work docs) were cheap. Inkjet was better but I spent a fortune on ink in 1990s. Laser here for years, now colour duplex 21 ppm and hardly used. Mostly colour knitting patterns. I don't print web pages or datasheets now; copy/paste/format in LO Writer and make ebook with Calibre. Elipsa 10" eink for datasheets.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-15-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, links in epub, links in pdfs, pdf conversion failure