Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle hyphenation

These questions were originally sent to me as a PM, but I am posting my responses here in case anyone else is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans
Recently been on a Hyphenation streak:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...72#post4132872
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...13#post4133513

telling people more reasons why HTML lang needs to be marked properly.

Quote:
I know Kobo lets you place your own Hyphenation Dictionaries on the device. What's Kindle do?
Hyphenation dictionaries are built into the KFX rendering software and cannot be changed or extended by users.

Quote:
What languages does it support for hyphenation?
The hyphenation dictionary languages are: English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Russian, Dutch, Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, and Malayalam.

Quote:
Does it only go by the book's language, or will it hyphenate properly down to the <span lang="cy"> level?
From my testing it appears to use the language of each word, even those set using a span element. This is a lot different from dictionary word lookup, which uses only the primary language set for the book as far as I can tell.

Quote:
I'm assuming hyphenation is also KFX only??? Or did it apply to KF8 too?
Automatic hyphenation is only performed for KFX format. It is enabled by default and can be controlled using the -webkit-hyphens CSS property.

Soft hyphens are supported in KF8 format, but I am not sure whether they are accepted in books published on Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote