Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the exact values you've put in your fon_ramp file?
7.92 8.4 9.36 10.00 10.33 10.67 11.00 11.33 11.67 12.00 12.33 12.67 13.00 13.33

Mostly I read with 10.33 or 10.67.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
ok - but you lose some add on features, typically ability to sync reading positions, access notes... with even he best of conversions, at that breaks the store-provided infrastructure

so matching your reader to your main book supply is optimal
I don't lose those features on my Kindles because I send the books to my Kindle cloud using the Mobi file type:both so that the books come down to my reader as kf8 rather than old style mobi.

On my Kobo, losing sync doesn't matter, because I only have one.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post
It hyphenates words of the book resulting in a justified text
It adds soft hyphens to the text. But the plugin isn't needed as Calibre's Polish feature has an option to do this.

Also, it's best used on Kindle eBooks and Kindle's work well with soft-hyphens. ePub not so good.

Also, it's nothing ot do with justified text. You can have soft hyphens on left justified text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #19
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Being able to comparison shop and then read all my books on my favorite android app makes deDRMing worth it and after that minor edits & conversion are fairly trivial. Comparing it to VHS vs betaMax is like comparing apples to pineapple, both are fruit but one is much easier to peel.

My preferred app has the feature sets I care about which include the ability to sync using a cloud service.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me personally, the ability to edit the formatting is far more important than anything the store provides. On my Kindles, the ability to use custom font sizes is also very important and the font_ramp hack doesn't work with kfx format. So, every book on my various ereaders is sideloaded from Calibre, no matter where I bought it from. No direct downloads for me.
I am much the same, but I see so many posts here asking why can't I sync, access, retrieve X or use feature Y, where the short answer is that to get that X or Y you need to buy the book from the same guys that made the reader.

I do like and use the direct borrow from library to kobo via overdrive feature though, when it works!
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #21
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
It depends on where I buy the book and in wich reader I read:

For Kobo Aura One:

if I buy it everywhere but not from Kobo I download the book in calibre, I convert it in Epub if needed (for books purchased from Amazon), I open it in the editor, I modify it following my preferences and then I sideload it. I convert it in Kepub if there are images or notes.

If I buy it from Kobo I download the book in calibre but before to do anything else I see how it appear in my Kobo: if it is not the usual disaster from Adobe InDesign I simply read it (but this situation is not so frequent, and there are also disaster which don't come from inDesign), otherwise I archive it from Kobo site or directly from Kobo Aura One, modify the book as said before and sideload into my Kobo.

For Kindle Paperwhite: same as before and I convert from Epub into KFX for non Amazon Books. For Amazon books I simply read them in KFX as they come from Amazon (only when they are really terrible I modify them and sideload into my Paperwhite). But now I use KPW only when the KA1 is too wide to take with me, so not each book I buy outside Amazon is converted in KFX and sideloaded on the device.

Edit: I use Linux for Kobo and Windows for Kindle (no KFX for Linux)

Last edited by ps67; 05-01-2020 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Edit: I use Linux for Kobo and Windows for Kindle (no KFX for Linux)
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert