Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
bowieb
bowieb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Errors opening books and lost last page read

All of a sudden Calibre has started giving the message "Preparing book for first read" for all of my books. Most of them will then open up on page 1 regardless of whether I had previously been reading it or not.

Some of the books will give the "Loading book failed" error instead of opening on page 1 with the details referencing XML errors. The editor still works and renders the pages normally for these books. The XML for the text and other support files in the epub looks normal. Some of these books were created from within Calibre and none of them have changed since the last time I read them using Calibre.

I was originally thinking some sort of corruption, but the files unzip normally and all of the internal files look good when accessed with a text editor. I tested one of them with the Freda reader, which opened it without any problems.

Any thoughts?
bowieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preparing book for first read means the cached data from the last open was deleted. As for the errors, it would help if you posted the actual error.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
bowieb

It has something to do with Version 4. It occurred to me that I did an upgrade to version 4 recently. When I went back to version 3, everything went back to normal. All of the books opened to the correct page and there were no more errors on any of the books. So the cached data wasn't deleted, it just wasn't being read.

I'll probably try version 4 again after the holidays. If it still has a problem, I'll post the errors.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preparing book for first read means the cached data from the last open was deleted. As for the errors, it would help if you posted the actual error.
I was also getting errors in most of my books in version 4.1. but they went away in version 4.6.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
bowieb

I was using 4.6 when I had the errors. I went directly from 3.25 (I think) to 4.6 and started getting the errors. I went down to 4.5 and had the same problem. 3.48 works fine. I haven't tried any of the other 4.x releases.
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You might want to try putting the cache somewhere you can 'keep an eye on it'. See CALIBRE_CACHE_DIRECTORY in Calibre User Manual: Environment variables

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote