Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Hoopla

I wanted to establish this thread so that any news re the possible adaptation of Hoopla to Kindle would be readily seen. As far as I know Hoopla ebooks can be read only on cell phones, computers, or the Kindle Fire tablet. Of these the Fire tablet is closest to the Kindle in ease of use, but the screen is still much brighter (even with Sepia) and tiring than the Kindle.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
I wanted to establish this thread so that any news re the possible adaptation of Hoopla to Kindle would be readily seen. As far as I know Hoopla ebooks can be read only on cell phones, computers, or the Kindle Fire tablet. Of these the Fire tablet is closest to the Kindle in ease of use, but the screen is still much brighter (even with Sepia) and tiring than the Kindle.
Not done here.
All of the established devices are Android.
These grayscale Kindles run Amazon/Linux not Google/Linux.

Although there are random speculations that Amazon will switch the grayscale Kindles to Android, I would suggest that anyone not to try holding their breath for it to happen.

You might have better luck talking with the developers of KOReader than getting Amazon to change their reader.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I hope it doesn't because as I said the Kindle is much better for reading than a phone or a laptop, even the Kindle Fire. The latter are all tiring, unhealthy for bedtime reading, and do not include dictionary look-up, which is a major advantage of the Kindle. It would be much better if someone can figure out a way to "kindleize" Hoopla.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The place for that sort of discussion would be:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=216
The members here are too few and not likely to have the time to take on a major project here.

But even talking with the people of the KOreader project about adding in another e-book format is still your best bet.
KOreader does run on these grayscale Kindles (it has its origins here) and supports additional e-reader devices.

Last edited by knc1; 12-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Fair warning: the answer is 100% going to be: PRs welcome .

After a 2s glance at the thing, I highly doubt this is even actually technically feasible, anyway.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Fair warning: the answer is 100% going to be: PRs welcome .

After a 2s glance at the thing, I highly doubt this is even actually technically feasible, anyway.
IIRC, it has been proposed here in the past.
Although that name does not recall it to mind, maybe it was not referred to (here) by that name previously.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #7
mdmorrissey
Addict

Thanks. Had not heard of KOreader. I do have an old PocketBook reader that I don't use, but I am not technically savvy enough to fool around with it.