Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Epub reader for android

I need the following:
  • epub reader for android phones
  • free
  • as light as possible
  • without ads (possibly)

I don't read epubs on the phone; I just need something to quickly check the quality of an epub when I'm not on the desktop.
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sahara View Post
I need the following:
  • epub reader for android phones
  • free
  • as light as possible
  • without ads (possibly)

I don't read epubs on the phone; I just need something to quickly check the quality of an epub when I'm not on the desktop.
Try PocketBook:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.reader&hl=en

It has two render engines (ADE y WebKit) so you can test your epubs with both of them.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
PocketBook is my Android testbed. I have others. But it's least annoying. Works with Calibre via USB Mass Storage. An amazing number don't as they "import", so Calibre can't see what's in their "library".

Also I use kobo in epub2, never kepub. I have a Nook ST and a Sony PRS350 also for epub as well as two weird Binatone models, one is like a poorly done Amazon Fire (except the WH Smith and Appstore are gone), I presume it uses Adobe on Android.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This one ought to be a good one as well. It's using Readium and it's from EDRLab.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...adium.r2reader
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
alreader, coolreader, koreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
alreader, coolreader, koreader.
Coolreader...NO!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

About pocketbook: what are the fonts it uses?
Old 12-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Are there any that reads Kepubs?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
About pocketbook: what are the fonts it uses?
In principle, it will be able to use all the fonts you have in your Android device. Also you can define a path to a folder where you store the fonts you want to use, and of course, PocketBook will use the fonts embbeded in the epub. You can choose the font of your wish by using the PocketBook menu.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Are there any that reads Kepubs?
I would say the Kobo app for Android would do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say the Kobo app for Android would do it.
What about other apps which take advantage of kepubs extra settings?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
i use Lithium to test calibre epubs. Best Regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #13
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
In principle, it will be able to use all the fonts you have in your Android device. Also you can define a path to a folder where you store the fonts you want to use, and of course, PocketBook will use the fonts embbeded in the epub. You can choose the font of your wish by using the PocketBook menu.
I am referring to the fonts indicated as "default" or "serif". Can it be the Noto Serif?
Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I am referring to the fonts indicated as "default" or "serif". Can it be the Noto Serif?
You can set any font as default for serif, sans-serif and monospaced (that is, you can say PocketBook what font is your prefered serif font, your prefered sans-serif font and your prefered monospaced). And yes, in my android devices PocketBook can use Noto Serif.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
What about other apps which take advantage of kepubs extra settings?
PocketBook has practically full supports for epub3 specifications. So you can read epubs with more complex properties than a kepub. In fact, the app use a more advanced version of WebKit than Kobo.

Tags
android, epub reader