Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #61
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, it's NOT nice and it torques my butt that I have to revise it, if I want to enjoy it without thinking that every other page is the end of a chapter or scene. Irritating as hell.

Hitch
Oh, Hitch, you just made my day
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #62
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Oh, Hitch, you just made my day
Well, Oda, I'm happy as hell if it did, but you have a weird sense of humor! :-) LOL!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Can you link to that?
Here is the link to the Kobo patch thread for the 4.19.x firmware.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325572
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'll let Jon answer about the patch option, but you might like to know that you can also do it via the calibre KoboTouch & KoboTouchExtended driver without any hacking. See here for details.
But that's only if you read KePub. I prefer ePub for your regular novel because the typesetting is much better.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #65
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that's only if you read KePub.
No, you're wrong about that. The calibre KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended drivers do not distinguish between epub and kepub if you have configured them to make auto-changes to widows/orphans on-the-fly during send-to-device.

If you only read kepub then you don't really need this option because the kepub renderer either doesn't use widows/orphans or always sets them to 1 (I don't know which).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #66
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Related to this topic, the page-break-inside:avoid property is usually stripped out during conversion to KFX. However I have found that it is usually carried through and functions as expected if it is used in conjunction with float.
I have an update on this. The latest version of the Kindle Previewer, 3.36, no longer requires float to be used in order to have the page-break-inside:avoid property retained during conversion. I played around with it a bit and noticed some inconsistent behavior.

Regular paragraphs of text can be kept together in their entirety.

Applying this property to a span appears to do nothing.

Applying it to a div containing multiple paragraphs and a full width image causes them to all be kept together when shown in the Previewer. However on a Kindle running the 5.13.3 firmware the individual paragraphs are kept together but page breaks still occur between them.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #67
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have an update on this. The latest version of the Kindle Previewer, 3.36, no longer requires float to be used in order to have the page-break-inside:avoid property retained during conversion. I played around with it a bit and noticed some inconsistent behavior.

Applying it to a div containing multiple paragraphs and a full width image causes them to all be kept together when shown in the Previewer. However on a Kindle running the 5.13.3 firmware the individual paragraphs are kept together but page breaks still occur between them.
So...in KP, it looks as though it will stay together, but in MOBI format (?), sideloaded, it breaks? Is that correct?

But we don't yet know what happens in a for-sale book that's been through the PW? (Publishing Workflow)?

Hitch
Old 12-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So...in KP, it looks as though it will stay together, but in MOBI format (?), sideloaded, it breaks? Is that correct?
The significant change is that page-break-inside:avoid is retained in conversion to KPF/KFX format when in the past it was discarded unless float was also present.

My test was done using an EPUB converted for Enhanced Typesetting in the Kindle Previewer and using a sideloaded KFX file on a Kindle Oasis which produced from the KPF file exported by the Previewer.

I did not test MOBI or KF8 since I don't think anything has changed with the renderers for those formats. As far as I know they ignore page-break-inside:avoid, but I would be happy to find out if I am wrong about that.

Quote:
But we don't yet know what happens in a for-sale book that's been through the PW? (Publishing Workflow)?
That is correct. I don't yet know what happens there.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The significant change is that page-break-inside:avoid is retained in conversion to KPF/KFX format when in the past it was discarded unless float was also present.

My test was done using an EPUB converted for Enhanced Typesetting in the Kindle Previewer and using a sideloaded KFX file on a Kindle Oasis which produced from the KPF file exported by the Previewer.

I did not test MOBI or KF8 since I don't think anything has changed with the renderers for those formats. As far as I know they ignore page-break-inside:avoid, but I would be happy to find out if I am wrong about that.

That is correct. I don't yet know what happens there.
Gotcha, thanks for all the testing and info, it's MUCH appreciated.

Hitch
Old 12-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #70
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

What about "page-break-after: avoid" with multiple <h#> tags? If I have, for example:

Code:
<h2>My Title</h2>

<h3>My SubTitle</h3>

<p>Some text here...</p>
with "page-break-after: avoid" aplied to <h2>, <h3>; does all that stay together (I mean <h2> + <h3> and at least one line of <p>)?
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #71
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
What about "page-break-after: avoid" with multiple <h#> tags?
As far as I can tell page-break-before:avoid and page-break-after:avoid are completely missing from all of the Kindle formats.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #72
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have an update on this. I can confirm that the current PW supports page-break-inside:avoid for books rendered with Enhanced Typesetting.

I took a random sample of nine recently published novels. Four of those nine books contain the KFX equivalent coding for page-break-inside:avoid. For two of those I looked at the KF8 format HTML and was able to verify that the publishers had coded those books with page-break-inside:avoid in some styles and that those had carried though to KFX format.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #73
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I have an update on this. I can confirm that the current PW supports page-break-inside:avoid for books rendered with Enhanced Typesetting.

I took a random sample of nine recently published novels. Four of those nine books contain the KFX equivalent coding for page-break-inside:avoid. For two of those I looked at the KF8 format HTML and was able to verify that the publishers had coded those books with page-break-inside:avoid in some styles and that those had carried though to KFX format.
Hmph.

Well...hmph. I guess that means we'll have to include it in places where we previously didn't, as needed; we've had it for dog's years, as future-proofing.

Hitch
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #74
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
...we've had it for dog's years, as future-proofing.
The examples where I saw it yesterday were mostly from stock stylesheets. The most common usage was to prevent page breaks within headings. While adding that does not hurt, it probably also does not help much either since the default KFX widow/orphan handling will prevent page breaks for headings of three lines or less anyway.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I never understood the read for adding CSS to avoid page breaks for headers (aka chapter headings).