Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
CSI SPOILERS - Why I have trouble watching certain shows

And CSI is usually at least fairly good about their lab science, but tonight, oh my heavens!! Just awful!!

First, Grissom doesn't know what hemolysis is ... any good CSI is going to know it when he/she sees it. There has to be a better way of explaining it to the viewers without making Grissom look like a moron.

Then ... the medical examiner (knowing that there was hemolysis in the victim's system) thinks that the presence of two other people's blood in the victim's system is an indication of "contamination." Oh ... puhleeeeze!!

So ... leaving off for the moment that you can't effectively type blood that has been hemolyzed .... (as in ... how the hell would they have figured out that there were three blood types in the victim ... all that would have survived would have been white cells ... and you can't ABO type white cells).

To top it off, the victim is a type "B" and the other two people are types "A" and "O" ... and the medical examiner says that it was the transfusion of blood from the A individual that caused the death. Again .... WTF???

Yes, a type A person has anti-B in their system, but so does a type O. Sorry .... I'm ranting, but it makes me crazy when medical or CSI type shows get the medicine either wrong or can't find a good way to get the information to the viewer without making the characters jump through a bunch of hoops that make them look dense.

Erg!!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may want to throw out a spoiler alert. The show hasn't aired in my timezone yet (I stopped reading as soon I I realized you were describing elements in tonight's show).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You may want to throw out a spoiler alert. The show hasn't aired in my timezone yet (I stopped reading as soon I I realized you were describing elements in tonight's show).
Oh, sorry ... but really, that doesn't do much to spoil the show. In fact, they could have easily not had that element in there at all, and the show would have been just as good.

But ... maybe one of the mods could stick something in the title??
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
But ... maybe one of the mods could stick something in the title??
ok. let me know if you had something else in mind. (of course, i'm going to bed now, so if you want it changed, let someone else know. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This is why I prefer NCIS. Well that and seeing Tony get hit on the back of the head.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ok. let me know if you had something else in mind. (of course, i'm going to bed now, so if you want it changed, let someone else know. )
Nope ... that's perfect. Thank you!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
This is why I prefer NCIS. Well that and seeing Tony get hit on the back of the head.
Unfortunately, NCIS is horrible with DC area geography. Every time they mention a location by name, it doesn't exist nor does anything similar exist in that location. For instance, in season 3 someone is kidnapped at Braddock Mall. I froze the DVD when they had the map up on their plasma. They placed Braddock Mall at the corner of Braddock and Ox Rd (Rt 123), right on top of George Mason University! What's really funny is that I could still read the names of the roads on the GMU campus. What's even funnier is that they had Ox Rd stop in a residential community in southern Fairfax county.

As good as that show is, I hate it when they screw up like this.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
OMG!! That's the reason I watch NCIS!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i watch ncis because it's almost like a parody of this type of show and hilariously well-done. i've no clue about DC area geography so that never bothers me.

(actually i've no clue about medicine or forensics either, so they could just be making stuff up and i would still be entertained.)
Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
What anoys me most with CSI is two things...

1) Getting a DNS-profile is not that fast.

2) Most female CSI's are NOT that hot! (was that a sexist remark?)
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No. It's an observation that American TV Networks are sexist.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Don't get me started on pshrynks as protrayed by Holywood!

Oh, well, since you insist...

1 - i don't spend hours on end with neurotic, whiney patients. I spend a lot of time with severely suicidal, nearly immobilized patients and severely psychotic patients.

2 - I don't have a corner office in a high rise on Manhattan where I do (1) above, and nothing else.

3 - I don't have an office filled with books and busts of Freud in the hospital where I do nothing but psychotherapy with said, neurotic, whiney patients. I see them at bedside for about fifteen minutes a day.

4 - I don't keep patients in hospital for looooooong stays. My average length of stay is about 4.5 days. Infact, no where do you find patients in a hospital who have been there since the Truman Administration unless they are severely psychotic and totally refractory to meds.

5 - If someone is refractory, I do not allow them to wander around the unit being crazy at the world in general. We have meds that can help, even if they are not totally effective.

6 - I am not unethical, so I do not a) sleep with my patients, b) sleep with my patients' relatives, c) sleep with the nurses or therapists who work for me (other than my wife, but that's okay.) d) give massive doses of tranquilizing medications to neurotic, whiney patients who are having a bad day, or e) misdiagnose and treat just because I'm a pompous choom.

7 - I am not crazier than my patients. I am not psychotic. I especially do not eat my patients.

and 8 - I cannot read your farking mind and do NOT do free psychotherapy at parties.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
7 - I am not crazier than my patients. I am not psychotic. I especially do not eat my patients.
hm. do you have some sort of corroboration for this theory ?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I should think he'd be able to tell for himself if he ate his patients or not ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I should think he'd be able to tell for himself if he ate his patients or not ....
he might be delusional. that would explain a llot.