Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #31
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
So what changes does this version of firmware introduce?

Last edited by codychan; 11-26-2018 at 10:23 PM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #32
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
So what changes does this version of firmware introduced?
Apparently, none!
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The comment on the release was that it was to fix an intermittent freeze issue. I would suspect this was a change in the hardware code which might explain why the rest of the code showed little if any change. We'd have to look at the upgrade directory to see any changes.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-26-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fat fingered typos...
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #34
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The comment on the release was that it was to fix an intermittent freeze issue. I would suspect this was a change in the hardware code which might explain why the rest of the code showed little if any change.
OK. That would be why the kernel image (zImage-E80K00 only) differs slightly. I was actually just looking at that.

I'll release the patches now that I have an explanation.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
One of the files in the upgrade dir changed, upgrade/mx6sll-ntx/zImage-E80K00, but I've no idea whether there's anything significant about that.

I had already noticed that that the extract file of all nickel CSS streams was identical to the one from fw 4.11.11982. So I tried kobopatch for 4.11.12019 with all my patches from 4.11.11982 enabled. I was surprised when it all ran perfectly first time - even GeoffR's tricky 'My 24 line spacing values'.

I must add that I haven't actually installed this firmware on any device yet. I was waiting for more info.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #36
geek1011
Wizard

I have released the patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
One of the files in the upgrade dir changed, upgrade/mx6sll-ntx/zImage-E80K00, but I've no idea whether there's anything significant about that.

I had already noticed that that the extract file of all nickel CSS streams was identical to the one from fw 4.11.11982. So I tried kobopatch for 4.11.12019 with all my patches from 4.11.11982 enabled. I was surprised when it all ran perfectly first time - even GeoffR's tricky 'My 24 line spacing values'.

I must add that I haven't actually installed this firmware on any device yet. I was waiting for more info.
zImage is the kernel image. See DNSB's post. As for everything being the same, I was suprised too (see my post above). Note that the revinfo hash is the same too. I've installed this firmware on my Aura ed2v1, and it works fine.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #37
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I have released the patches.

zImage is the kernel image. See DNSB's post. As for everything being the same, I was suprised too (see my post above). Note that the revinfo hash is the same too. I've installed this firmware on my Aura ed2v1, and it works fine.
That's quick.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:41 PM   #38
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I've installed this firmware on my Aura ed2v1, and it works fine.
Looking through the changelog, the focus on Forma buttons is clear. Is there any gain to installing it on an H2O2 running 4.11.11982?
Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Looking through the changelog, the focus on Forma buttons is clear. Is there any gain to installing it on an H2O2 running 4.11.11982?
Probably not since the only changes found are in a hardware specific file which would only be used on a Forma.

I tested the patching but will not update my Clara HD.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 AM   #40
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Everything relevant to the H2O2 is exactly the same except for the version number. The only gain to updating is a version number. Personally, I keep up to date as much as possible, but it's up to you.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:57 AM   #41
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

DNSB, geek1011 - thank you both. I think I'll indulge my natural sloth and not bother with this one
Old 11-27-2018, 05:57 AM   #42
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Well, I will "bother" to update my Forma (not the others of course). I'm annoyed by the freezing, which happened again yesterday. Just waiting for a few people to confirm no problem.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #43
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I had no issues so far but I also never had the freezing issue this fixes
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Well, I will "bother" to update my Forma (not the others of course). I'm annoyed by the freezing, which happened again yesterday. Just waiting for a few people to confirm no problem.
The only fix in this firmware is for some freezing. If you are seeing freezes with your current firmware, then you should update.

If you want to be cautious, connect to the PC and copy everything from the visible partition. That way, if the worst happens and you need to do a factory reset, just copy that back after setting the device up again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #45
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Only mark 7 download works now. No others marks.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote