Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Ebooks and the Giving Season

Wallcraft's post about Apex Books having a 75% drop in sales reminded me that you can't give an ebook like you can a pbook for Christmas. There are no coffee table ebooks.

When I was growing up there were the mandatory underwear and socks under the Christmas tree along with a good assortment of books. Most of the gifts would be books (along with a grocery bag of just read once paperbacks from my uncle.) For me this was great. After my parents died my wife picked up the tradition for many years.

This is the second year in a row that there have been no books at Christmas. (OK, in the interest of full disclosure, she got books this year, I did not. Her books were such things as quilting and sewing that do not easily lend themselves to the small 6" b+w e+ink screens.)

What was she to do? Send money to Fictionwise? Other than a gift card or a credit voucher, there is no way to give an ebook. "Here, I bought this ebook for you but it will not work on your reader so I guess I'll have to read it for you."

For ebooks to go mainstream the publishers need to find a way that ebooks can become gifts.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
At fictionwise it's possible to buy any eBook as a gift for someone. There's a big "buy this eBook for a friend" button on every book's page.

You can either send it by email, or print out a gift certificate, or do both - get a printed gift certificate, and an email version to send later.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Wallcraft's post about Apex Books having a 75% drop in sales reminded me that you can't give an ebook like you can a pbook for Christmas. There are no coffee table ebooks.

When I was growing up there were the mandatory underwear and socks under the Christmas tree along with a good assortment of books. Most of the gifts would be books (along with a grocery bag of just read once paperbacks from my uncle.) For me this was great. After my parents died my wife picked up the tradition for many years.

This is the second year in a row that there have been no books at Christmas. (OK, in the interest of full disclosure, she got books this year, I did not. Her books were such things as quilting and sewing that do not easily lend themselves to the small 6" b+w e+ink screens.)

What was she to do? Send money to Fictionwise? Other than a gift card or a credit voucher, there is no way to give an ebook. "Here, I bought this ebook for you but it will not work on your reader so I guess I'll have to read it for you."

For ebooks to go mainstream the publishers need to find a way that ebooks can become gifts.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
My kids don't like my reader, means they have to think harder about my pressies !! (ignoring possibilities with gifts via Fictionwise)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Baen also allow one to give a "Webscription" as a gift.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I gave my EB-1150 to my best friend, since I couldn't see to read on it anymore. She was thrilled with her gift!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What a nice thing to do!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote