Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
Jacques Duflos
Jacques Duflos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Calibre won't start after changing an option

Hello there !

Where on this forum is the right place to ask for help ? Is it here ? If not, tell me
I have been using Calibre for a long time with Ubuntu and my Kobo and now is my very first issue. I was wondering around in the preferences and I activated one on the "calibre general behaviour" tab (the first one I think). This option said I had to restart Calibre to make it active. So I did. But now Calibre won't start and gives me this messagebox :

Code:
calibre, version 2.55.0
ERREUR : Erreur au démarrage: Une erreur s'est produite lors du démarrage de calibre. Certaines partie de calibre peuvent ne pas fonctionner. Cliquez sur 'Afficher les détails' pour en savoir plus.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 276, in initialize_db_stage2
    self.start_gui(db)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 216, in start_gui
    main.initialize(self.library_path, db, self.listener, self.actions)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 261, in initialize
    self.system_tray_icon = factory(app_id='com.calibre-ebook.gui').create_system_tray_icon(parent=self, title='calibre')
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/widgets.py", line 232, in create_system_tray_icon
    ans = StatusNotifierItem(parent=parent, title=title, app_id=self.app_id, category=category)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/tray.py", line 44, in __init__
    self.dbus_api = StatusNotifierItemAPI(self, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/dbus_export/tray.py", line 114, in __init__
    self.dbus_name = BusName(self.name, bus=bus, do_not_queue=True)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/dbus_service.py", line 238, in __new__
    raise NameExistsException(name)
NameExistsException: Bus name already exists: org.kde.StatusNotifierItem-5633-1
And when I start it from a terminal with debug mode it tells me that :
Code:
jacques@Karen:~$ calibre-debug -s
Commande d'arrêt envoyée, en attente de l'arrêt...
jacques@Karen:~$ calibre-debug -g
calibre 2.55  embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-122-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-16.04-xenial Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-122-generic', '#146-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 23 15:34:04 UTC 2018')
Python 2.7.12
Linux: ('Ubuntu', '16.04', 'xenial')
Starting up...
My first guess was to try to reset the preferences, but I can't find how.
Has anyone a hint ?
Jacques Duflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall calibre, then install the official binary from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #3
Jacques Duflos

Thanks, it worked. It made me update my Calibre (first time 4 years), I'm glade to see the new graphical style.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Duflos View Post
Thanks, it worked. It made me update my Calibre (first time 4 years), I'm glade to see the new graphical style.
Glad it worked for you.

Four years without updating calibre is a slight exaggeration since the version you were using (2.55) came out almost exactly 2 years ago, Apr 15, 2016. Still 2 years without updating is a long time. Makes sense, if calibre was meeting your needs there was no reason to update.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
Jacques Duflos

Now you say that, maybe I re-installed it when I changed of operating system
Advert

Tags
calibre, preferences