Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #16
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon seems to be in bed with some publishers which is not a good thing for eBooks in general. It then means you are forced to get a Kindle if you want one of Amazon's exclusive eBooks. This to me strikes of bad business for eBooks. Amazon needs to learn that not everyone has or wants a Kindle and if they cannot get content because it's locked away by Amazon, then eBook sales won't increase. We have enough issues with the tower of eBable that it is not fair for any company to may exclusive deals for any content.
Don't forget the US only crap you get with Kindle.

There is a world outside America and their wages are similar or, shock horror, a lot higher than the USA.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post

There is a world outside America and their wages are similar or, shock horror, a lot higher than the USA.

Now come on. Sony, until recently was U.S. only as well. It has taken them 2 years to go international from what I understand.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Now come on. Sony, until recently was U.S. only as well. It has taken them 2 years to go international from what I understand.
True, but Sony haven't signed up authors to exclusive contracts like Amazon
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, but Sony haven't signed up authors to exclusive contracts like Amazon
For all we know, they may be trying. And the one exclusive everyone was upset about is for a limited amount of time.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #20
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Aren't you forgetting main difference - you can put DRM free files on Sony but not on Kindle !
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually Kindle reads DRM-free Mobi files just fine. And TXT.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Actually, the Sony Reader became international as soon as it was released in the US. Before that it was the Librie in Japan, in a slightly different form.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
To a great extent I agree with that, and quite honestly I think that Amazon is ill served by it. On the other hand, I would not be surprised to see Amazon start to provide content on other platforms at some point over the next couple of years. Amazon is in the content business, not the hardware business. They should sale on as many platforms as possible so they can sale as many books as possible. They have the capability of being the iTunes of the eBook industry simply by doing what they do best, making it easy to buy books and pushing the customer in the direction of books they might like but not know about. In the end, I suspect this is what will happen as publishers start to drop DRM. We shall see.
Amazon did sell eBooks before the Kindle. They sold PDF, eReader, Mobipocket, & MS Reader. They only allowed redownloads for a year. Also, when they stopped selling eBooks, even if your year was not up, you could not redownload if needed. It didn't go over well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Please, watch the language.

Maybe Amazon was using the US to see who well the Kindle would do before bothering to try it outside the USA. We just don't know Amazon's reasoning.

It's taken Sony almost a year to get the 505 outside the USA. So if you are going to yell at Amazon for not having th Kindle outside the USA, you can also yell at Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Actually, the Sony Reader became international as soon as it was released in the US. Before that it was the Librie in Japan, in a slightly different form.
That makes perfect sense. I do recall seeing a picture of a Libire.

Can you share what the time line was for Sony's release in the U.S.? Was is simultaneous or was there a delay? I'm trying to show that even Sony didn't try to hit everyone at once. They took their time until they were ready before they began the current program of opening up to more countries (maybe they had to wait for the ebook market to mature). I don't understand why folks are upset if Amazon has to wait until they are ready (maybe they should be glad the U.S. is the guinea pig so they'll have a much better Kindle when it comes to their respective countries).

Edit: I think I found my answer in the wiki.

Libire - 2003 (officially only sold in Japan)
PRS-500 - September 2006 (English version, so I would guess this is when it went international by officially selling in the U.S.)
PRS-505 - October 2007 but as of September 2007 becoming officially available in more countries

So 5 years from the introduction of the first Sony reader to it's official availability in Europe.

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-16-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
Aren't you forgetting main difference - you can put DRM free files on Sony but not on Kindle !
You are NOT correct sir. I have alot of nonDRMed ebooks on my Kindle. As a matter of fact I've only read 1 DRMed Kindle ebook, the only eBook I've bought from Amazon thus far. Actually, I have only bought two ebooks with DRM on them, one from Fictionwise and one from Amazon. Yet, I have read over half a dozen ebooks on my kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
I beg your pardon, but that is completely untrue. The Kindle will read any DRM-free MobiPocket file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I wonder if the reason for the slow international releases is due to a lack of screens, from a business perspective it would seem a huge waste to attempt to create a market that you are unable to supply.

I know some people think Amazon intentionally sold out of Kindles on first release, but if they didn't and just underestimated the initial size of the market, this would add weight to my argument.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
GatorDeb--

Just a clarification--the prc (Mobipocket) books that libraries have are DRM'ed and I don't believe they will work on the Kindle--unless the DRM has been removed. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

dordale
Igorsk has made a program that will convert the DRM format on the book to a form that Kindle will accept. This does not remove the DRM but allows Kindle to read library books. You simply register your Kindle as if it were a mobipocket device and then make a minor change to the document. The wiki entry on Library Books has the details on this modification.

Again: The DRM is not removed, Jon

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
I know some people think Amazon intentionally sold out of Kindles on first release, but if they didn't and just underestimated the initial size of the market, this would add weight to my argument.
At the end of last year and early this year, every eInk book reader was in short supply, so either:

1. There was a global conspiracy to deceive customers.

or:

2. The screen manufacturer, PVI in Taiwan, which they all use, couldn't cope with demand.

I leave it to the reader to determine which is more likely, with the additional note that:

3. Since PVI massively increased their manufacturing capacity, the shortages have stopped.

Spooky!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote