Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
KSpeak - eSpeak TTS porting for kindle

Amazon's TTS support is very limitated: Voiceview supports only english language.
So i ported eSpeak, an open source speech synthesizer (http://espeak.sourceforge.net/)
You can use it by command line, or you can use a simple kindlet frontend i made for it.
You can speak a free text or a text file, i'm looking for a command line tool to extract text from epub/mobi/azw/kfx/whatev files (if anyone knows please tell me )
I tested on my PW3 with a cheap usb audio adapter (like this) and some earphones

Install instructions:
  1. jailbreak your device
  2. extract espeak folder from the tar archive and place it in your extensions folder
  3. copy KSpeak.azw2 kindlet in your documents folder
  4. connect an usb audio adapter (if kindle says to set your language to english, just ignore it)

hope you enjoy it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2017_01_27T18_36_56+0101.png
Views:	301
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	154542   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2017_01_27T18_38_46+0101.png
Views:	271
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	154543  
Attached Files
File Type: azw2 KSpeak.azw2 (49.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: gz espeak.tar.gz (2.18 MB, 235 views)

Last edited by encol; 01-31-2017 at 05:13 AM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Our speaker independent voice recognition system (Vague) includes embedded Flite:
http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/

You can get the K5 build from here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tlmcf5...dded-flite.zip

The KUAL menu item for flite is:
*/extensions/flite
(where else would you expect it?)

Last edited by knc1; 01-27-2017 at 02:15 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2017, 03:16 AM   #3
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Wanted to try it out on my PW3 - I'm getting an "Error while getting voices list: java.security.AccessControlException-", when launching the KSpeak azw2. The rest of the error message is cut off.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:45 AM   #4
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the device Jailbroken?
Go to the /mnt/us/developer/KSpeak/work folder.
There are some log files there. Post them
Old 01-28-2017, 03:52 AM   #5
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KSpeak.log
http://pastebin.com/ST7M9pzN

crash.log
http://pastebin.com/r4UkZZd1

And yes - the device is jailbroken. I played around with the PW3s native TTS speech engine in the past, but this error seems to be unrelated..

I'm on 5.8.2 - so an older version of the firmware - but not that old.
Advert
Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
notimp
Addict

Ah, there is no KSpeak_prefs.xml file.

edit: Also the /lib/ld-linux.so.3 file is in place with 777 permissions...

Last edited by notimp; 01-28-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:55 AM   #7
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Our speaker independent voice recognition system (Vague) includes embedded Flite:
http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/
we can do some comparison now
Old 01-28-2017, 03:59 AM   #8
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
Ah, there is no KSpeak_prefs.xml file.
prefs file should be created at the first start. You have security access issues.
Try to reinstall MKK
Old 01-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #9
notimp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
prefs file should be created at the first start. You have security access issues.
Try to reinstall MKK
I reinstalled the JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix

( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597 )

- which comes with MKK (made sure of it - renamed the MKK folder to oldmkk, installed hot fix - new MKK folder was created), same issue.

That said KUAL works perfectly an so do about 10 other KUAL extensions I use on a regular basis.

If other people don't come up experiencing the same issue - maybe I'll install MKK from the stand alone package - but I am hesitant, as this is not the recommended way to install MKK on newer Jailbreaks/Firmwares.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
encol
Evangelist

Have you kterm installed, or you can access via ssh?
If yes, try this:

Code:
cd /mnt/us/extensions/espeak/
./espeak.sh english-us "hello world"

Last edited by encol; 01-28-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 AM   #11
notimp
Addict

Also - as a Test, opened a new pdf in KOReader (started from KUAL), modified some settings, closed KOReader - and sure enough it created a new folder containing the settings file in /mnt/us/documents/

KSpeak.azw2 does nothing but crash. On my PW3 that is.

edit: I can ssh into the device - give me a sec.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:17 AM   #12
notimp
Addict

Running the command via usb gives me a bunch of errors related to the soundcard not being attached -

http://pastebin.com/KSidfXYW

I'll try kterm next (easier than to setup ssh via wifi just now.. ) - with the soundcard attached.

Last edited by notimp; 01-28-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 AM   #13
notimp
Addict

'hello world' (used single quotes) worked in kterm. (Heard the voice.) Screenshot soon to follow.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
notimp
Addict

Screenshot of kterm executing the command:
http://i.imgur.com/feOjYXW.png

edit: Redownloaded the .azw2 file - moved it to /mnt/us/documents/ via usb, then via sftp (ssh) - same result (so its not related to file corruption or the Mas OS temp file that gets created if you copy it over via usb).

Last edited by notimp; 01-28-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #15
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
Also - as a Test, opened a new pdf in KOReader (started from KUAL), modified some settings, closed KOReader - and sure enough it created a new folder containing the settings file in /mnt/us/documents/

KSpeak.azw2 does nothing but crash. On my PW3 that is.

edit: I can ssh into the device - give me a sec.
KOReader is not a kindlet. Kindlets' permissions have to be elevated to access to the fs.

Quote:
Running the command via usb gives me a bunch of errors related to the soundcard not being attached -
and where you attached the sound card?

Last edited by encol; 01-28-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Tags
espeak, speech, synthesizer, text to speak, tts