Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
pingec
pingec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Pull new screensaver from net on power on?

Hello.

My grandfather needs to check some data daily. This is proving very hard for him as he gets older. I would like to modify a Kindle that would help him with this task.

Would it be possible to mod the kindle PW2 (or can buy some other version) so that it wakes up every 4 hours, pulls an image from the internet, sets it as screensaver and then turns off.

Or alternatively when the power-on button is pressed it pulls the image, sets it as screensaver and shuts off?

Is this possible to do? Where can I start? Any good resources to check? I can program but no idea on what is possible and what not on the kindle nor how to setup a dev env for the kindle...

I think this use case would be good for other people too, so maybe it laready exists?

Thank you for all ideas and advice in advance
pingec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What is he checking it on now?
A computer might be easier.

Do you live close?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
pingec

He receive meds instructions, banking details and other stuff via txt messages. But he screws it up more and more often. I have no problem intercepting txt messages and doing whatever with them, just need a way to display it on the kindle in a very simple way...
Old 08-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
It should be possible. If you have an ad-supported device it may become tricky.
1. Jailbreak it and enable SSH access.
2. Check the RTC - wake-up should work (I didn't test it yet).
3. Play with eips to display images.
4. Crosscompile wget/curl to fetch data.
Crosscompile image magick to convert/resize the image.
Finally put everything in a script - you can also dis-/enable WLAN temporarily and suspend the Kindle.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingec View Post
He receive meds instructions, banking details and other stuff via txt messages. But he screws it up more and more often. I have no problem intercepting txt messages and doing whatever with them, just need a way to display it on the kindle in a very simple way...
Good luck. Spent night before last emailing my stepdad about smartphones.
Found him a plan and a phone this morning.
Thought about doing a prepaid but decided since he is older and lives 500 miles away, Sprint and Samsung would be best.
Local support.
Advert
Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
You might find this useful as a starting point. It's old - apparently last updated in 2014. I have not read through the whole thread and I have not tried running this on my PW2 myself. The first post says that it was made and tested specifically on a PW2, but I don't know whether or not it works on newer firmware versions.

If this thing still works, it seems to be exactly what you're trying to achieve. If it no longer works, perhaps you could update it and share your work for others who are looking for something similar?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236104

Last edited by Sukarn; 08-17-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
pingec

Thank you all for the advice and ideas. I will look at all the information provided when I have some free time
Old 08-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingec View Post
Thank you all for the advice and ideas. I will look at all the information provided when I have some free time
Curiosity: how old is your grandfather?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
I would check out the weather displays people have done, and build from that.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
pingec

Thank you all for the advice. My grandfather says thanks

https://github.com/pingec/dlekin
Old 03-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
arrabaraba
arrabaraba began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Great stuff! I'll be applying your work in modified form for my KT2 (7th gen) device soon.
Lep pozdrav
arrabaraba is offline   Reply With Quote