Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 04:51 AM   #1
IDN
IDN began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle 2014, Kindle PW3 2016, and Onyx Boox Nova 2
Kobo Glo HD frozen?

This morning when i try to read on my kobo i found that it freeze on the sleep screen, i already tried pressing the power button for 10, 30, 60 sec and pushing the reset button on the bottom of the device but it still freeze. The last thing i do before this happens is reading Tokyo Ghouls manga last night.
Any suggestions to fix this problem? I dont think i have broke the screen and it won't be possible to return or service my kobo as i live in Indonesia and it'll cost a fortune to ship my kobo to Rakuten.
As you can see on the photo below, when i try to charge the kobo, there's no light at all and when i try to connect it to the computer it doesnt detect the kobo.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
IDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could open it up and disconnect and reconnect the battery as a way of hard resetting it.

If that doesn't help the next step would be to try and replace the internal SD card.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You could open it up and disconnect and reconnect the battery as a way of hard resetting it.

If that doesn't help the next step would be to try and replace the internal SD card.
i'm still deciding whether to open it up or waiting till the kobo emptied the battery by itself, i'm to afraid to make thing more worse by opening it up, and also how exactly can i disconnect and reconnect the battery? because from the video on youtube, the battery doesnt look like it can be disconnected?
thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have a Glo HD so I don't have first hand experience with opening it. I think the back cover simply pops off... battery should have a simple connector, of course you have to be careful with it...

Letting the battery run empty by itself... it might take a very long time [esp. if you left the charger cable connected for a while] and it's not good for the battery...

like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbwMZ83lcM this is about replacing the Sd card but you can also see battery with black+red cable and white connector, just be very careful when pulling it up/out of its socket. I managed to break this connector on the old Glo... thin fragile plastic and all that

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-09-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
IDN

Quote:
I don't have a Glo HD so I don't have first hand experience with opening it. I think the back cover simply pops off... battery should have a simple connector, of course you have to be careful with it...

Letting the battery run empty by itself... it might take a very long time [esp. if you left the charger cable connected for a while] and it's not good for the battery...

like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbwMZ83lcM this is about replacing the Sd card but you can also see battery with black+red cable and white connector, just be very careful when pulling it up/out of its socket. I managed to break this connector on the old Glo... thin fragile plastic and all that
im going for the safer option then, waiting till the battery empty because it seems the battery connector is really fragile. any other suggestions to solve my problem?
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDN View Post
im going for the safer option then, waiting till the battery empty because it seems the battery connector is really fragile. any other suggestions to solve my problem?
To me it sounds like the battery is already flat. Plug it in and see what happens. If it is really low, it might take a while to respond.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDN View Post
I'd suspect that your battery is already discharged. Try charging it from an cellphone or other charger for a couple of hours and see if it responds to the pinhole reset then. You might also want to try a different USB cable if you have more than one around.

Also in reference to the removed images, use "attach file/manage attachments" to attach your images or place them on another site and post the link to the images. This will help to keep the moderators bored.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-09-2016 at 01:15 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #9
IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd suspect that your battery is already discharged. Try charging it from an cellphone or other charger for a couple of hours and see if it responds to the pinhole reset then. You might also want to try a different USB cable if you have more than one around.

Also in reference to the removed images, use "attach file/manage attachments" to attach your images or place them on another site and post the link to the images. This will help to keep the moderators bored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To me it sounds like the battery is already flat. Plug it in and see what happens. If it is really low, it might take a while to respond.
i've already plugged them in for about 1 hour but still nothing happened, i haven't try to use other charger and cable though.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Plug it in using a wall charger and leave it for an extended period charging, overnight if possible, and then try fiddling with the reset button again before you do anything else. I'm sure there's been quite a few people in these forums who have managed to 'revive' their ereaders just by doing this. Obviously if its a more serious issue it'll make no difference, but better to do this first before thinking about opening it up.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

If the battery is actually flat that's certainly the way to go and hope for the best.

If it's a hard lockup (happened once to me on my H2O when I was modding - nothing worked as here, battery was fully charged) and you want to get the battery to run out (although the battery won't like it), charging it up first is kind of counterproductive.

If you don't dare opening it yourself maybe one of your friends has more experience in that area? If they don't have ereaders make sure to let them know the display is very fragile...

It should be a lot simpler to open the Glo HD than it is with the H2O, or even the old Glo for that matter.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #12
IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Plug it in using a wall charger and leave it for an extended period charging, overnight if possible, and then try fiddling with the reset button again before you do anything else. I'm sure there's been quite a few people in these forums who have managed to 'revive' their ereaders just by doing this. Obviously if its a more serious issue it'll make no difference, but better to do this first before thinking about opening it up.
Quote:
If the battery is actually flat that's certainly the way to go and hope for the best.

If it's a hard lockup (happened once to me on my H2O when I was modding - nothing worked as here, battery was fully charged) and you want to get the battery to run out (although the battery won't like it), charging it up first is kind of counterproductive.

If you don't dare opening it yourself maybe one of your friends has more experience in that area? If they don't have ereaders make sure to let them know the display is very fragile...

It should be a lot simpler to open the Glo HD than it is with the H2O, or even the old Glo for that matter.
I've already tried charging it overnight for 2 days with 2 different kind of chargers and cables. Nothing happened. I think i will try to wait for the battery run out by itself before opening it.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Not sure if you realize, but you're talking months or maybe years for the battery to fully discharge unless there is some sort of process running in the background of the device. Not sure when I last used or charged my HD (read on my H2O these days) but probably last year and the battery has only dropped 10-20% from full.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:46 AM   #14
IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not sure if you realize, but you're talking months or maybe years for the battery to fully discharge unless there is some sort of process running in the background of the device. Not sure when I last used or charged my HD (read on my H2O these days) but probably last year and the battery has only dropped 10-20% from full.
Ah, it seems then the only solution is to open it and reconnect tha battery?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

Since you've exhausted all other known options (press and hold power + reset buttons) that seems to be the case...