View Poll Results: A New Icon for Sigil 1.0
Yeah, great Idea! 12 38.71%
NOOOO, leave the Icon ALONE! 11 35.48%
Don't Care 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #31
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
The current pseudo-3D icon is indeed quite old fashioned. Of course that in itself is not a compelling reason to change it.

More important IMHO is the usability: the current icon is very thin and does not stand out very well in contexts like the OS X dock or a desktop with a background pattern.

I'm not sure that yet another blue circle icon is a huge improvement though. Having an outline that's a bit different from other things is a better idea. What other ideas can we get from the "sigil" concept?

A lighter colour that better shows the icon highlighting would be great. Try dragging an ePub over the active icon in the dock to see what I mean.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #32
shorshe
Enthusiast
shorshe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What other ideas can we get from the "sigil" concept?
Hi Chrisridd,

Great! Let's start the conversation, then. Maybe find images for a moodboard?

What does come to your mind, when your hear the word "Sigil"? Everyone else is welcome to contribute, too. Maybe we can come up with something awesome.

English is not my native language, so I'm not 100% sure if the general meaning leans more towards "Magic/Arcane Symbol" "Emblem" or "Seal".

I agree on your points about usability/contrast. This is why I proposed a redesign in the first place.

Last edited by shorshe; 05-23-2016 at 01:06 PM.
shorshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #33
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a third meaning according to https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sigil#Noun which will be familiar to perl programmers - $var vs @var vs %var.

I don't know which meaning the Sigil author had in mind. There are risks to using the "magical" definition because that will deeply offend some people. Perhaps the seal/signature/signet definition is "right" because of the way Sigil rewrites epub files in a clean way.

It still doesn't really say "ePub editor" to me, nor does it even say "does something with ebooks".

The fat white border version of the logo reminds me of the Skype logo.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorshe View Post
Hi Chrisridd,

Great! Let's start the conversation, then. Maybe find images for a moldboard?

What does come to your mind, when your hear the word "Sigil"? Everyone else is welcome to contribute, too. Maybe we can come up with something awesome.

English is not my native language, so I'm not 100% sure if the general meaning leans more towards "Magic/Arcane Symbol" "Emblem" or "Seal".

I agree on your points about usability/contrast. This is why I proposed a redesign in the first place.
A Mark (as in makers, trade, guild) or emblem

I also liked the old General Electric tm
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, I seem to remember that a sigil was a name for all of the funny proofreading and editor marks/symbols used to by an editor to correct a manuscript for a book or paper prior to publshing. According to the OED, that is still a definition but one way down on the list. In fact the linebreak symbol itself was often called a sigil (a stylzed S hand drawn shape to mean splitting a line).
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #36
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I seem to recall that the original author Strahinja Marković (Valloric) once specified where he got the name from in an old thread. Can't seem to find it however.

Last edited by Toxaris; 05-23-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #37
shorshe
Enthusiast
shorshe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I seem to recall that the original author Strahinja Marković (Valloric) once specified where he got the name from in an old thread. Can't seem to find it however.
I contacted Strahinja via E-Mail.
This is what he wrote back.
Quote:
I'm not sure I remember anymore!

I do remember posting about it on MobileRead when someone asked me about it.

Roughly though, I think the line of thinking was in relation to sigil-in-magic. A sigil is basically a fancy symbol, letter or seal. So there are two "themes" here of a sort: writing and magic. And "Sigil" thus implies that it's a "magic (ie. good) writing (ie. ebook) editor". A bit of play on words.

Something like that. I think. Also it's just a cool name IMO.
shorshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:39 AM   #38
chrisridd
Guru

Great information from the horse's mouth :-)

Can you do anything using the IDPF's "e" logo as well? Not in a way that would be a copyright problem!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #39
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
A bit late to this conversation but here’s my 2¢ worth.

There are far too many blue icons out there! Please, don’t make it blue. Far too safe a choice. I’ve always liked the colour as, although it can be a little dark in some contexts, it does makes Sigil easily recognizable.

Talk about how it looks in a drag & drop context in the OS X dock makes me a little wary. If it’s a choice between an icon that looks good in many contexts and one that looks great on a Mac I’d choose the former. Not that it shouldn’t look good on a Mac, just don’t get carried away in one direction.

I’m not using the standard icon in Ubuntu myself. I’m using an icon theme called Vibrancy Colors, but I believe their Sigil icon comes from Sam Hewitt’s Moka icon set. I couldn’t attach the source SVG but you can see it here. (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence)

The Launcher (Dock equivalent) is transparent and its colour changes with the wallpaper so visibility under varying conditions is a plus.

Moka icons dark/light vs. Standard (?) icons dark/light

This icon is probably too specific (flat theme, rounded square) to be generally acceptable, but it’s an example of a simple reworking. The idea of a white border would be a simple fix for the problem with dark backgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil icon.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	149272   Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil.png
Views:	183
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	149273  
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote