Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
CNet UK reviews the Cybook Gen3

Some people might be offended by calling the Cybook a "budget e-book reader", but if you are still unsure about what's going to be your next reading device, check out this CNet UK review, rating the Gen3 with a 7.5 ("very good"). Their verdict:

Quote:
The Cybook is certainly not perfect. There's plenty of room for improvements when it comes to ebook navigation and the library functionality. We can forgive it some of these failings, however, as it has a significantly lower price than many of its rivals and the screen is wonderfully easy to read.
Thanks to MobileReader myridom for the tip.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
stepanok
Connoisseur
stepanok began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Significantly lower price ??..It costs 270 pounds!!..the Sony costs 199. The majority of people who got a cybook, got it because they coudn't ( up to now ) get a Sony. Now that the sony is available i really wonder what the future will hold for cybook
stepanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanok View Post
Significantly lower price ??..It costs 270 pounds!!..the Sony costs 199. The majority of people who got a cybook, got it because they coudn't ( up to now ) get a Sony. Now that the sony is available i really wonder what the future will hold for cybook
I dunno. Both were available to me, as was the Kindle. I bought the Cybook because it was the best for my needs (a large existing library of Mobipocket files). Yes, I could have converted them for the Sony (they aren't infested with DRM), but that's work I didn't want to do. Plus I have had bad experiences with Sony in the past. I didn't buy the Kindle for other reasons.

(And from reading the review, it appears the Iliad was the comparison model used.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They are clearly comparing it to the iLiad, hence the "significantly lower price" comment is legitimate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Significantly lower price ??..It costs 270 pounds!!..the Sony costs 199.
In the article they are comparing it into Illiad.
When compared to the iRex product it is indeed cheaper ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
The majority of people who got a cybook, got it because they coudn't ( up to now ) get a Sony.
This is not true for me, and I suspect it is the same for a good number of people.
These are two different devices, with different capabilities, and the possibility of buying it easily is just one of a number of factors in the choice.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
For me, the Mobipocket-format and the use of dictionaries are two major advantages the CyBook has over the Sony. Especially the look-up function is fantastic.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
There's 16MB of onboard memory
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Yeah, it's wrong for the current model, but wasn't that the correct value for the previous version of the Gen3 ?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
The previous model had 64MB storage memory. They probably mixed it up with the RAM which is indeed 16MB.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The majority of people who got a cybook, got it because they coudn't ( up to now ) get a Sony.
Absolutely NOT true for me. I bought a CyBook primarily because of its support for MobiPocket books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
On board memmory isn't storage space.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
The previous model had 64MB storage memory. They probably mixed it up with the RAM which is indeed 16MB.
Oh, yeah, now I remember.
Thanks for correcting me.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Significantly lower price ??..It costs 270 pounds!!..the Sony costs 199. The majority of people who got a cybook, got it because they couldn't ( up to now ) get a Sony. Now that the Sony is available i really wonder what the future will hold for cybook
Now to get them to do a review of the 505 which has better navigation, collections, and the same screen. The 505 is cheaper and will be available soon. But at least there was no mention of Apple anyplace in the article.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Now that the sony is available i really wonder what the future will hold for cybook
Does someone know if the PRS-505 can be ordered on Internet on a UK website and shipped internationally?
It a lot easier to order in the UK than in the US when living in Europe as you don't have to worry for the customs.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote