Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Acharn
Acharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Sigil 9.0 closing unexpectedly

I think it was last week I downloaded Sigil 9.0 and the FlightCrew plugin. I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The first attempt at installation didn't work, apparently there was a problem with installing python. The second time worked, and I successfully edited an epub which wouldn't validate for Google Play Books. Sigil was exactly what I needed. Today I downloaded some epubs from Project Gutenberg. They display fine in Calibre, but when I tried to open them in Sigil the program closed unexpectedly. I notice that Sigil is no longer associated with the .epub file extension, and when I try to associate it, Windows does not accept Sigil.exe as the default program. No error message, it just does not add Sigil to the window for programs to choose from. Not sure how to proceed, because if the problem is a malformed .epub file how do I find the fault?

Oh, I tried opening the file I was working on last week and it opened without difficulty. I didn't spend any time looking to see if there was any problem, just opened the file, noted that some .html and .opf and other files opened in the files window, but I've downloaded files from Gutenberg before and have sometimes had problems. Their new distributed proofreading has helped a *lot* with that.

Last edited by Acharn; 11-23-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention, I was able to open files I was working on last week
Acharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharn View Post
I think it was last week I downloaded Sigil 9.0 and the FlightCrew plugin. I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The first attempt at installation didn't work, apparently there was a problem with installing python.
You don't need an external Python interpreter for Sigil 0.9.0, if you select Use Bundled Python.

Quote:
They display fine in Calibre, but when I tried to open them in Sigil the program closed unexpectedly.
Some of the older PG epubs may be structurally invalid. To exclude Sigil errors please post a link to a PG epub that crashed Sigil.

Quote:
I notice that Sigil is no longer associated with the .epub file extension, and when I try to associate it, Windows does not accept Sigil.exe as the default program.
Uninstall and reinstall Sigil.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Acharn
Acharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheeseAcharn can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You don't need an external Python interpreter for Sigil 0.9.0, if you select Use Bundled Python.
Yes, I did select "Use Bundled Python. I don't know why it didn't install the first time. It did the second time, and I did not install a separate Python interpreter.

Quote:
Some of the older PG epubs may be structurally invalid. To exclude Sigil errors please post a link to a PG epub that crashed Sigil.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3887...acd88197d0f94a

Quote:
Uninstall and reinstall Sigil.
I did. It didn't help.

By the way, forgot to mention, this is Sigil version 0.9.0, loaded Qt: 5.4.2, build time 2015.11.06 00:34:38 UTC

Last edited by Acharn; 11-23-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add Sigil version data
Old 11-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I did. It didn't help.
Did you remember to check the box that said you wanted epubs to be associated with Sigil?

Thanks for the link. The epub (with images) definitely crashes Sigil 0.9.0 (on Windows Vista) after telling Sigil to go ahead and try to fix the detected issues. If I uncheck the Clean on open checkbox in the cleansource settings, Sigil crashes immediately.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's something to do with the hideously ridiculous internal filenames of that particular archive.

Code:
@public@vhost@g@gutenberg@html@files@38877@38877-h@38877-h-2.htm.html

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-23-2015 at 07:27 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is a fairly typical Gutenberg filename from what I remember, I am afraid...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Acharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is a fairly typical Gutenberg filename from what I remember, I am afraid...
That may not be the problem, then. I've used Sigil on other epubs from Gutenberg (I love those guys) but haven't tried any of them. I'd have a hard time remembering which ones are from Gutenberg anyway. Well, I'll give it a try and see if it helps. Later.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The comments inside of the manifest are somehow freaking out the opf_newparser.py. I will fix this and make sure the fix gets into the next release.

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
Acharn

Ah, thank you for the explanation. Luckily the modifications I wanted to make to these books can wait. One of them I can do easily by the old standby of renaming the .epub as .zip and expanding the archive, then reversing the steps after editing. Easy enough, but Sigil is really necessary for other kinds of modification. Thanks so much.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, thank you for the explanation. Luckily the modifications I wanted to make to these books can wait. One of them I can do easily by the old standby of renaming the .epub as .zip and expanding the archive, then reversing the steps after editing. Easy enough, but Sigil is really necessary for other kinds of modification. Thanks so much.
What do you need to do?

calibre's Editor works similarly to Sigil, except it has no Book View, and makes no modifications to the files unless you ask it to, or for renaming links if you change the name of a file.

It also doesn't freak out on that book.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found and fixed the bug. Will commit it to master tonight. As it is in a python script, you can install it by hand into your current build if you need to get started right away on that book.

<!--hello--> caused problems but <!-- hello--> worked. Now fixed.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Acharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What do you need to do?
Project Gutenberg has a very lengthy piece of legal boilerplate that they include in their books. I'm not going to give this book to anyone and it's mildly annoying to have the extra text in there so I just want to delete it. Easy to do in any editor once you get access to the html file. I was even able to edit the improper "tag" properties out, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for reading the book in Calibre.

Quote:
calibre's Editor works similarly to Sigil, except it has no Book View, and makes no modifications to the files unless you ask it to, or for renaming links if you change the name of a file.

It also doesn't freak out on that book.
I'll have to read that part of the manual. It never occurred to me to use that.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I'll have to read that part of the manual. It never occurred to me to use that.

Everyone is so used to thinking about Sigil, they sometimes forget that calibre has an editor as well.
Even when they don't need the features unique to Sigil.

Now, Sigil is soon going to be an EPUB3-capable editor, whereas calibre is not planned to be. calibre still works fine with EPUB3, with the exception that it won't check for EPUB3 compatibility and it uses EPUB2 syntax in the OPF packaging.

That does seem to me to be the most significant difference.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I really, really cannot stand the interface of the Calibre editor so I gladly give the additional diskspace to Sigil.

Can you please stop advertising the Calibre editor in Sigil threads, unless it is about a feature that Sigil does not have? We have the Workshop part of the forum for this.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I really, really cannot stand the interface of the Calibre editor so I gladly give the additional diskspace to Sigil.
That is irrelevant to the point you are trying to make.

Quote:
Can you please stop advertising the Calibre editor in Sigil threads, unless it is about a feature that Sigil does not have? We have the Workshop part of the forum for this.
I will stop advertising the calibre Editor in threads about Sigil crashing on this book at startup as soon as sigil 0.9.1 lands with the fix that stops Sigil from crashing on this book at startup.

I really don't think this was an unreasonable suggestion. And explaining how calibre's Editor is more or less feature-comparable is not unreasonable when suggesting to use calibre as an alternative until that bugfix is released.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-25-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW ... The fix is already in the tree, will be released after US Thanksgiving, and can actually be installed into Sigil-0.9.0 right now which I offered to help with if the poster needed to edit the book sooner.

So based on that, I agree with Toxaris - it seems you do tend to advertise the Calibre editor inside Sigil threads a bit too much. People have their own reasons to use one or the other or even both. Please do your cheerleading for Calibre inside the calibre or neutral threads and not in places where I am trying to track down and fix a bug to help someone.