Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
tormentor
tormentor began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Is my PaperWhite bricked?

I unplugged my PW1 one second too early from Calibre. Some error appeared on the screen, I pressed home buton for couple of seconds and chose "Restart". After that my Kindle is booting with a guy and the tree on the screen but without progress bar. I waited over 1 hour and nothing changed.
Is it bricked or I should wait more? I tried to restart it by pressing home button for over 40 seconds - same thing. It's not becoming hot.

Kindle is visible as a device on the system (Windows and Linux - dmesg) but it's storage is not visible.

Last edited by tormentor; 11-22-2015 at 01:33 AM.
tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My suggestion is to hold down the power button for a full 30 seconds. Time it. That should cause it to reboot, which may save the situation. I hope it does.

You didn't mention whether you did a safe disconnect (aka eject) or not before removing it. If you didn't, that's pretty important and could be what happened. Most removable devices these days aren't buffered but if it's still writing to it when you pull the plug that can corrupt it's storage. If that's what you did and it does recover by forcing a reboot you might be wise to then reset it to factory defaults.

It's a really good idea to get used to never pulling the plug until Windows tells you you can. You can do that and get away with it 99% of the time but that other 1% can really get you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Actually, unplugging it early could potentially prevent the OS (Windows/linux) from flushing the write cache, but corrupted files aside, that shouldn't crash the Kindle.

As barryem pointed out, to force restart you need to press the power button -- not the home button.
Anyway, the PW doesn't have a home button anymore like my older Kindle Touch does...

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-22-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
My suggestion is to hold down the power button for a full 30 seconds. Time it. That should cause it to reboot, which may save the situation. I hope it does.
I had done this - it didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
You didn't mention whether you did a safe disconnect (aka eject) or not before removing it. If you didn't, that's pretty important and could be what happened.
I clicked Device -> Eject in Calibre - that's the same option. But before I miss-clicked on some option with buffer (Calibre -> Device -> something about buffer - I don't see it in Calibre docs). After that I clicked "Eject" in Calibre and unplugged the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As barryem pointed out, to force restart you need to press the power button -- no the home button.
Anyway, the PW doesn't have a home button anymore like my older Kindle Touch does...
Ofc I meant power button - there is only one, as you mentioned.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
There's no reason Windows (or MacOS) can't buffer a removable device, it's just not the default. If you've changed that default then that could easily be the cause and you might very well have corrupted the device's file system.

If you can't reboot I think it's time to call Amazon's Kindle support. If it's still in warranty they'll replace it. If it's not in warranty and you ask nicely they'll usually offer a significant discount on a replacement.

I'd make sure you deal with their Kindle support people, not their regular support people and I'd definitely do this over the phone if possible. They have really good phone support and pretty frustrating email support.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Plug it back in to your computer and then go through a safe 'dismount'.

It has worked for me many-a-time in my lusty haste to peruse my ebooks!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
tormentor

I called Amazon - the only thing I can get is a discount on new Kindle - not a best option.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The paperwhite hard restart needs the power button pressed for 40 seconds.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The paperwhite hard restart needs the power button pressed for 40 seconds.
I tried it over 10 times... After that screen is going blank for 2 seconds and stuck again on guy under the tree.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-27-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

tormentor:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
tormentor

Good news!
After over 2 days of waiting while plugged in my Paperwhite managed to show progress bar and started. I needed to perform factory reset and after my Kindle is alive again.

Thanks for help!
Old 11-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, that is definitely symptomatic of a badly corrupted filesystem.

The Kindle was repairing the userstore (and marking bad blocks) -- that usually takes a while (~few days).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote