Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Rina7o7
Rina7o7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo frozen screen

Heya. Little (well, not so much) problem with my Kobo. The screen is frozen (see pic). I've tried to turn it off and on again and nothing happened. Tried to reset it as well but it didn't work. I really don't know what else to do. I haven't dropped it or hit it in any way nor did I drop it into water. I've no idea why it froze like this. I've had it since last December. If someone could help that would be amazing. Cheers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0629.jpg
Views:	3616
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	142397
Rina7o7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rina7o7 View Post
Heya. Little (well, not so much) problem with my Kobo. The screen is frozen (see pic). I've tried to turn it off and on again and nothing happened. Tried to reset it as well but it didn't work. I really don't know what else to do. I haven't dropped it or hit it in any way nor did I drop it into water. I've no idea why it froze like this. I've had it since last December. If someone could help that would be amazing. Cheers.

Attachment 142397
That is a broken screen.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look like your screen is broken.
Did you leave it in the car for a long time?
To unfreeze it hold the on button for 10 sec, or use the paperclip hole near the miniUSB connector.
if it still freeze open the back cover and disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Last edited by oren64; 09-28-2015 at 10:46 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Rina7o7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
That is a broken screen.
It's not scratched or anything. And when I turn it on the light goes on as well but I can't use the screen. Is there anything I can do or should I take it somewhere? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Rina7o7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Look like your screen is broken.
Did you leave it in the car for a long time?
To unfreeze it hold the on button for 10 sec, or use the paperclip hole near the miniUSB connector.
if it still freeze open the back cover and disconnect and reconnect the battery.

No, I haven't left if in the car. How would that be harmful though? Just curious. And I tried everything from restating it to resetting it with a paper clip...nothing. I don't think the back cover comes off with the Kobo Glo... thx.
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think the back cover comes off with the Kobo Glo... thx.
http://erkinson.altervista.org/en/ko...mento-memoria/
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Rina7o7

Quote:
OK thx. How can I disconnect ft he battery? Haven't done it before and I don't want to break anything lol.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You have a broken substrate. The reader is completely useless, unfortunately, except for some hardware harvesting when/if you decide to purchase a replacement unit.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
It's not scratched or anything. And when I turn it on the light goes on as well but I can't use the screen. Is there anything I can do or should I take it somewhere? Thanks.
The screen is made up of multiple layers, one of the layers underneath has shattered that is why it doesn't feel broken. It happened to me with a kindle a few years ago. Unfortunately your ereader is useless. I don't know if the screen can be replaced but tbh it would probably be cheaper to get a replacement.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
OK thx. How can I disconnect ft he battery? Haven't done it before and I don't want to break anything lol.
The screen is already broken.
To disconnect the battery you pull the white connector out.

EDIT:LOL=Laughing Out Loud

Last edited by oren64; 09-28-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
The screen is already broken.
To disconnect the battery you pull the white connector out.

EDIT:LOL=Laughing Out Loud
I always think if you have a situation in which you don't know whether to laugh or cry, its best to laugh.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Definitely a broken substrate. IMHO from what I've seen it's often some sort of twisting of the device rather than a drop or something dropped on the screen. And appearance of the damage may occur at some time after the initial event (i.e. after a temperature change causing expansion or contraction).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Definitely a broken substrate. IMHO from what I've seen it's often some sort of twisting of the device rather than a drop or something dropped on the screen.
This - the device has been misused in some way by someone or something: twisted/bent/leaned on/impacted/frozen/overheated, or some combination of the above. It can be easy to do if you're not aware of how careful you need to be with an e-ink device, especially if the device isn't in a good case. No amount of resetting or fiddling with the innards will do anything. The display substrate is physically shattered.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote