Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
Mukluktb
Mukluktb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, iPad
Best choice for an 8 year old?

I have spent my day researching and reading this forum. I am now very confused and I apologise for asking similar questions.

I have been looking at the Boyue, Illumni and the Onyx. A lot of what I ahve been reading people have been rooting? them and all sorts of things that seem way above what I would be capable of. So what I need to know is what is the best as is device (apart from simple upgrades)?
  1. Our local library only loans epub books through Overdrive (Overdrive in Australia does not offer Kindle books).
  2. Amazon is often cheaper for book purchases plus Grandma wants to gift him a library (or something).
  3. He has visual processing problems so a regular tablet LCD is out it has to be e-ink
  4. We do have a collection of PDF books too

These requirements is what led me to the above choices but I cannot make heads or tails of which will work better for us and then which model is better.

I was initially liking the Onyx Afterglow but am now leaning towards the Boyue from my reading here. Does the lack of googleplay make it really hard to install apps? Its only for books so I can't imagine I would need to do more than add an app for Kindle and maybe one to manage the other files if it doesn't already handle them.

I would truly appreciate any help.
Mukluktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 AM   #2
Mukluktb

I should also mention he would like to read comics on it
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Comics are not going to work well on an eink device. Black and white, for one thing, and they may be designed for a larger page size.

Personally, I don't trust the off brand ereaders.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Mukluktb

Thanks. A lot of the comics he has are black and white so I don't think eink will be too much an issue. Most of his reading is novels.

I think I have decided not to go with any of these devices. On watching some more youtube I don't think any of the apps actually truly work on the eink, not well enough for an 8 year old anyway.

Back to square one, which format do I buy into sigh. Off to reading the forum, so much info here it is wonderful. If anyone happens to read and has a suggestion on which way they think is easier to go and convert to I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Is he reading mangas or classic comics? The main difficulty for comics is that scrolling is bad on eInk so it would be best, if showing a whole pages is still readable.
You can convert comics to ebooks either with calibre or the comic converter which is somewhere here on mobilread. For that to work you need drm-free comics in cbz or cbr format. I don't own a kindle so I don't know how big their catalog is, but amazon has its panel view tech for comics.
Maybe a slightly larger reader like the kobo h2o will do the trick. If you liberate the books from drm you can buy on amazon and convert them with calibre to read on the kobo.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #6
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I think the kobos even suport cbz natively. But converting them to the exact size of the reader with the mentioned apps might be better nonetheless.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
Mukluktb

To be honest I have no idea he just likes the format and borrows whatever the library has and I think he has borrowed them all now. Its mostly super hero stuff (they are colour). We can always use the ipad for back up comic reading.

I'm currently thinking Kindle for ease of purchasing and Grandma buying. I've also read that Calibre handles converting to Kindle better than from Kindle. So i should be able to easily convert any free epub. Plus most of my whole 10 ebooks on my Sony are converted from Kindle.

The libraries selection is slim pickings so he can just use my Sony for those rare borrowings.

But then the Kobo has the waterproof one which could be good for a kid.

I really passionately am currently hating ereaders for their lock down to formats.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
dickloraine
Guru

I don't think there is a difference how calibre converts. The only scenario where kindle to epub would be worth would be if the kindle book is only an old mobi.
Reading comics is definitely better on a tablet. Since he is 8, a 6" reader would be easier to hold for him. Since you know how to use calibre, I would say either kindle or kobo would be fine. I don't know if and how good this is integrated in the kindle, but amazon also has a family sharing option (so he can read books you buyed at amazon) and free time (which allows you to manage which books he can read).
Old 07-08-2015, 03:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do bear in mind that these are relatively fragile devices and the glass screen substrate is easy to fracture if subject to knocks. In all honesty I would hesitate to give one to an 8-year-old child. They are not toys.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #10
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do bear in mind that these are relatively fragile devices and the glass screen substrate is easy to fracture if subject to knocks. In all honesty I would hesitate to give one to an 8-year-old child. They are not toys.
My sister gave her kids tablets two years ago, the youngest was almost 4, and he has yet to break his.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
My sister gave her kids tablets two years ago, the youngest was almost 4, and he has yet to break his.
Tablets aren't as fragile as ereaders tend to be. Although my H2O has slipped from my fingers a number of times (sitting down) when I nodded off, and it's still in one piece
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Tablets are a lot tougher than eInk readers. No glass substrate to break in a tablet!

Obviously, though, children vary enormously in how they treat their possessions, and the original poster is in the best position to judge whether or not it would be treated well. I simply wanted to make the OP aware of the matter.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess the Kindle for Kids bundle isn't available outside the US? http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XIV00E..._shopall_k_keb Even if it's not, is there anything similar to Square Trade with it's accidental damage insurance available in Australia?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I guess the Kindle for Kids bundle isn't available outside the US? http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XIV00E..._shopall_k_keb Even if it's not, is there anything similar to Square Trade with it's accidental damage insurance available in Australia?

Shari
That is a Fire. Fires aren't eink.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Are you sure? It looks like an eInk Kindle to me.