Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
csmeder
csmeder began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Before I buy: What do notes look like?

Can some kind person upload some screen shots of class notes. You can fake them if you don't have any class notes.

Does any one draw/sketch on their Iliad? Would you upload some screen shots.

On a likert scale of 1-10:
I like taking notes on paper: ......................1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I like taking notes on iliad with the pen:.......1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I like taking notes on iliad with a keyboard:...1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The reason I ask is if I buy one it would be mostly for taking notes, instead of using a paper note book. And I like to draw, so sketching would be a plus.

Thanks,
Chris
csmeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
See attached shots. The first two are scribbled directly onto the PDF handouts of a lecture. The third one is not directly a class note but the concept for a seminar thesis I have to write (this one is in german), and last but not least some drawings...

Please note that my handwriting is horrible, so don't blame the iLiad . I acutally got a D in primary school for my handwriting...

Edit: I like taking notes on paper: 6
I like taking notes on iliad with the pen: 8
I like taking notes on iliad with a keyboard: 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_080707_122340.png
Views:	577
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	14156   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_080707_122417.png
Views:	547
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	14157   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_080707_122458.png
Views:	582
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	14158   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_080707_122918.png
Views:	551
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	14159  

Last edited by -Thomas-; 07-07-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Ratings
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
This picture was posted in a previous thread, It might be useful to you.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I like taking notes on paper: 5
I like taking notes on iliad with the pen: 8
I like taking notes on iliad with a keyboard: 1

I'd give the 3rd option a 0, if that was a choice.

iLiad note-taking is especially good for left-handers, as we don't notice any pen lag - we don't see the letters if we write on paper anyway.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeder View Post
Can some kind person upload some screen shots of class notes. You can fake them if you don't have any class notes.

Does any one draw/sketch on their Iliad? Would you upload some screen shots.
I take all class notes on the iLiad. I highly advise to buy a wacom executive pen. The default stylus is just to small to be comfortable to use a longer time.

Technical scetching works pretty well. Artistic (pencil sketching) not, because it doesn't recognize pressure or tilt, like you learned with classical pencils to modify thickness by tilt.

Here you have classnotes of me:
http://www.pri.univie.ac.at/~axel/in...Science~32~101

You scale I cannot answer, because i don't know, is 1 or 10 the best?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I used my iLiad for taking notes in lectures, and it worked really well but for one thing. If you use the standard notes page, it takes several seconds to create a new page when you need it, and if your lecturers talk as fast as mine, you'll miss something! I solved this by creating multiple-page pdf notebooks in OpenOffice.org, that way you can turn to a new page much quicker -- of course, they get full in the end, but so do paper ones!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast
Brazos_Jack began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Can Iliad notes be downloaded to computer?

Can these notes be downloaded to computer for printout, storage, or further editing and manipulation?

Once downloaded to computer, can optical character recognition software be used to convert them to editable text?
Brazos_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Yep. Take a look at iRex MyScript Notes 2.1
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
OCR

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Yep. Take a look at iRex MyScript Notes 2.1
MyScript is good but cost money.
There's some ocr opensource that can make the work done (on pc obviously) free and works fine.

I'm using iLiad like a notetaker in many way and it work really fine... better, IMVHO, than the kindle (used only two time).
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
Can these notes be downloaded to computer for printout, storage, or further editing and manipulation?
Notes are stored in PNG format and can be downloaded, printed out etc. For Notes in PDF files you need this tool to merge them to a PDF file.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast
Brazos_Jack began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmax View Post
Hi

MyScript is good but cost money.
There's some ocr opensource that can make the work done (on pc obviously) free and works fine.

I'm using iLiad like a notetaker in many way and it work really fine... better, IMVHO, than the kindle (used only two time).
That's O.K. I don't mind paying for a useful application.
Brazos_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
You can download and trial MyScript Notes free for a month.

Its available at https://www.irexshop.com/
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote