Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #46
eturgeon
Enthusiast
eturgeon began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Thank you for your advices. I have noticed too that low contrast (0%) is a key element for confort. My setup is low contrast, and high brightness. I have check to see if I could prove that my problem is related to blue light (bought gunnar glasses; anti-blue filter for my monitor), but so far I have not seen the slightest difference.

I will try Redshift.
eturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #47
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Regarding blue light, I was wondering: is it possible to buy a monitor that does not emit blue light at all? Is it possible to calibrate it on any monitor? Does a black & white monitor (desaturated) emits no blue light? I'd be interested to know.
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #48
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
White light includes all colours, including blue. In fact, RGB monitors create white light by shining the red, green and blue pixels equally brightly.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #49
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Ok but from what I understand, in monitors the blue is more present than in natural light, and that would be the problem. So is it just possible to calibrate the monitor to remove the blue light? Even if it means working in black n white, I wouldn't care if that would solve my problem. For the record, I already tried that, but only at the time when my eyes were so in pain that no solution was changing anything.

Last edited by eturgeon; 04-30-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #50
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
All LEDs flicker - they are managed by using Pulse Code Modulation, i.e. turning the light on and off to manage the heat and light levels. All display technology except e-ink also flickers, either because the backlight source is fluorescent or LED, or simply because the image is built up from rapid scan lines and the refreshing as the pixels fade.

It sounds as if your problem may be related to that flickering and the frequency at which it happens.

On Windows, many monitor software drivers allow you to set the refresh rate, and it might be worth playing with different combinations of the refresh rate and resolution - usually a faster refresh rate will reduce the impact on your eyes and brain. A CRT monitor might be worth trying this with, as the slower fading of the pixels means that the refresh is less noticeable than LEDs.

If that doesn't help, it sounds like the slow performance of an e-ink display is your only choice - good luck with the Sony or the Dasung.

Last edited by EldRick; 05-17-2015 at 12:42 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #51
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I was so desperate that I considered buying a CRT, just to try it. But in the end, I decided against.

I'm trying right now a fluorescent at work --these are difficult to find these days, a collegue got me his. I also tried many software solutions. So far, the only conclusions that are for sure:
1) the dimmer, the better
2) time is the most decisive factor, by far. Staying away from computers for a long period (i.e. months)

All other factors are inconclusive.
I'm able to work 35h/week, as long as I don't do any at home. I have to be very careful not to fall again in that vicious circle.

Last edited by eturgeon; 05-19-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #52
eturgeon
Enthusiast

For the record, I sold my Sony. Way to slow. I have tried 4 different e-ink devices, and the sony digital paper is the slowest. It drives you crazy just googling.

Still waiting for the Dasung.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #53
Ozmopolite
Ozmopolite began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by eturgeon View Post
Another fact: I had eyes surgery, 10 years ago, for myopia.

No idea if it can create this kind of problem.
Hi eturgeon,

I ran through the discussion. Stubborn headaches you have. I suggest you'd try acupuncture for your eyes. Our physical problems also tend to arise from physical ones, I reckon. One profound solution could of course be vipassana-meditation, which - for sure - would solve (all of) your problems if you arrive to practice such meditation. I deeply recommend.

What ever the case, I totally understand the problems with eyes. I too had eyes surgery about 10 years ago and because the lasik-technique did not work as it should have, I did the other eye with pro-technique. Probably this made that my eyes are different from each other and I've had great difficulties in reading - in particular from the computer screen. I have been thinking getting classes again, but opticians say there is no need. I don't get headaches, though.

I'm using a large screen and big fonts always to read from the screen, but still my eyes get tired.

Good luck. And really, take the recommendations seriously.
Ozmopolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #54
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Hi eturgeon

If it's the LED lighting that causes you trouble have you tried a transflective display instead?
Still LED, but no back light, so daylight readable etc.

If you know anyone with a Garmin hiking sat nav (etrex 20/30 are the current ones) they have been using a transflective display and a front light for years, so if you get to a camping hiking shop and have a play with one you can see the screen in action without forking over cash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfl...rystal_display
Few monitor makers from a quick google
http://www.lg.com/uk/outdoor-display
http://www.kyocera-display.com/products/outdoor.asp
http://www.flatvision.co.uk/transfle...ight-readable/
http://www.aispro.com/products/indus...adable-monitor

Mike
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #55
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Thank you for you suggestions.

@Mike

I haven't tried transflective display. It's interesting. The one with res 1280 x 1024 would be adequate.

Is it the same technology as pixel QI ?
I wonder how it works. Pixel QI works in daylight, but indoors its way too dark for me, I get headaches from the difficulties to read.

Last edited by eturgeon; 06-25-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #56
eturgeon
Enthusiast

Ok Pixel QI is translucive display. I don't know if those from www.aispro.com have the same issue, but I found that pixel QI is painful to use indoors, like I said. Ok it might had to do with the fact that the screen was only 10 inch, and I tried to use it as a desktop. Maybe with a 19-21 inch it would be different.

Last edited by eturgeon; 06-25-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Ok Pixel QI is translucive display.
I am unable to find the word "translucive" in any dictionary. What does it mean?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #58
eturgeon
Enthusiast

I meant transflective. I had a french word in mind, but it was an incorrect use, plus badly spelled.

Last edited by eturgeon; 06-25-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:04 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I meant transflective. I had a french word in mind, but it was an incorrect use, plus badly spelled.
Thanks for clarifying that - I thought it might be a display technology I hadn't heard of before .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #60
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Have you found out if your problem is blue light. I think you should try a device with an OLED display and blue light filter available on google play. As Oled has individual color pixels setting it up to filter blue light might allow for you to set it so that the blue pixel doesnt light up.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote