Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Favorite Movies ... that you would recommend

I was watching "The Dish" the other night. It's a movie made in 2000, starring Sam Neill, about the Austrailian contribution to the moon landing in 1969.

I realized that, even though I had seen this film, oh, probably something like 16 times in the past eight years, it still seemed as fresh as the first time I watched it. I loved the characters, I loved the acting, ditto the plot ... and pretty much everything about it.

If it's not my all time favorite, it would have to be high on my personal list of top ten films of all time. I also have to say, my personal list is quite different from that of say, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science ... for example, while I realize that "The Godfather" is considered to be a "great" film ... I just didn't happen to like it very much. That's probably because I don't generally like movies that have a lot of violence in them ... unless it's fantasy violence ... in which case I usually root for the dragon.

So ... long story short (too late!!), I started wondering what sort of films would be on the top ten list of people here ... and more important ... what appeals to you about them?? Are you an anime fan? Do you just plain love films with a lot of shoot 'em ups?? It's just not that I'd like to have a series of lists ... but I'd love to know what about certain films puts them on your list.

Sort of my way of learning about films I might not have thought about watching before ... that I found when I watched them, absolutely amazed me. (I watched all of the Godfather films ... and I wanted to like them, I really did, but unless the killers are wearing hockey masks and murdering whole fleets of teenagers ... I just can't get into it.) My best example of this would be a film called "Perfume" with Ben Whishaw, Dustin Hoffman, and Alan Rickman (who I pretty much worship anyway). I had no expectations when I watched it ... didn't even know what it was about. Watched it and then could NOT go to sleep that night for thinking about it. It had that kind of impact on me. "The Dish" .... puts me in a good mood for several days ... makes me want to grab everybody in Australia and just give them a huge HUG!!

Another one is "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" that stars Audrey Tautou and Dominique Pinon (who is another actor I've had a crush since forever). I don't speak French well enough to even reliably get myself to the bathroom, so I have to watch it on a screen big enough to read subtitles .... but it is simply ever so good. The acting and plot transcend my inability to speak the language (especially now that I've seen it five of six times with the subtitles ).

So .... anyone?? I'll be thinking of my additional seven ... and please don't feel like you can't post an answer just because you can't think of ten ... or you only have one film that just does it for you. I'd be curious to hear about them.

However ... and since I posted the thread ... I get to "makey da rules" ... no bad mouthing any film on any one else's list. You are most welcome to explain why you did or did not like something ... but, please ... none of that "Such and such is just crap." That's not an opinion so much as it really is "just crap."

Thank you ... and I'm looking forward to hearing about some films I might not have seen (I'm sure there are a lot of them).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I like films that are -- how shall I say this -- not reality films. Things like "Blazing Saddles", or "Kelly's Heroes." Although the best for me would have to be "Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I like films that are -- how shall I say this -- not reality films. Things like "Blazing Saddles", or "Kelly's Heroes." Although the best for me would have to be "Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"
Loved "Blazing Saddles" ... loved "Dr. Strangelove" ... never saw "Kelly's Heroes" ... I will put that on my Netflix list immediately, and thank you very much.

I think my favorite scene in "Blazing Saddles" was when Mongo knocked out the horse. I love horses and don't ever want to see a horse really hurt ... but that was just so unexpected and funnier than all getout.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Favorite movies

Shrek 1, 2, and 3...because Donkey makes me laugh. I love the computer graphics, the facial expressions were priceless. But the cat, the cat in Shrek 2..played by Antonio Banderas....'sigh. I just wanted to scoop him up. All of the little fairy tale characters were hilarious.

Speaking of Antonio Banderas........I also loved him and Madonna in "Evita" I know, I know, NO ONE liked that movie. But I think the musical score was awesome. The only thing I've ever seen with Madonna in it that I liked. I actually think she did a good job. What can I say, I have weird tastes. I"m about to watch a movie no one will believe.....its called "Teeth". You don't want to know what its about.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I have a fondness for low-budget but well-made movies. Three that come to mind:

1. Star Wars (the original called Episode 3; the rest were all high rollers)
2. The Jane Austen Book Club
3. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
4. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Last edited by 6charlong; 06-29-2008 at 11:40 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I can't get through a year without watching Dr. Strangelove. I have to put it up on the "big board" every few months so I can stop worrying. Of course these days, I have the war on terror to worry about instead of the cold war.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
in no particular order: blazing saddles, blade runner, UHF, paris is burning (do documentaries count?), my best girl, labyrinth.

and i don't think i could pick a best moment in blazing saddles - there are just so many of them
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Napoleon Dynamite

My favorite lines:

Napoleon Dynamite: Grandma just called and said you're supposed to go home.
Uncle Rico: She didn't tell me anything.
Napoleon Dynamite: Too bad, she said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Uncle Rico: I'm not goin' anywhere, Napoleon.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
I've seen a lot of my favorites mentioned in previous answers to this post so I won't mention them again.

From the maker of Amélie Poulain: 'Delikatessen'. A lot older, very strange but highly enjoyable. It features one of the actors who's also in AP.

"21 grams", "Amores perros" and "Babel" from Alejandro Gonzalez. What can I say ? Very dark movies but I'm a fan.

Y tu mama tambien.
U-turn (superb cast)
Cidade de deus
The Slapper (book by Roddy Doyle but I don't remember who did the movie)
Young Frankenstein, or rather, Fronkenstein (Mel Brooks)
Spaceballs (dito)
The Wedding Singer: making fun with the 80s
La grande bouffe (still unsettling after all these years)

... I could go on all day
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
True Romance by Tarrantino (is that the correct spelling?)

The casting is brilliant. A big part of why the movie works. The soundtrack is very good. I can watch certain scenes on their own out of context and just enjoy the colours and composition working with the soundtrack and the pace of the story. It does have some violence but it is well used and I can deal with it and usually hate violence in a movie.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
wetterau
wetterau has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none yet
The Dead, John Huston's last film. I think it is one of the best transpositions of a masterpiece in any media (Joyce's story).
Brideshead Revisited, also a wonderful remake (of the Evelyn Waugh novel).
From Here To Eternity, for a sweeping look at the U.S. at its peak and the cracks in its foundation.
Appocalypse Now, if you can take it. A movie that could never be made again, the visual equivalent of Dylan's song, "Desolation Row."
The Paul Newman, George C Scott, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie? movie. I can't remember the title. Where the young Newman plays a pool player. The Hustler, of course!

There are many excellent movies, but these are classics.
wetterau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
wetterau
wetterau has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none yet
How could I have forgotten, La Strada? Anthony Quinn and Gulietta Masini? in unforgettable performances, certainly a film for all time.
wetterau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Favorite all time: Casablanca

Favorite somewhat modern: The American President and For love of the Game
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Secret and Lies is a very good film. I also like the Kill Bill films a lot...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Only seen one of mine so far so here are my top favorites;
  1. Shawshank Redemption
  2. Shrek (1) - already mentioned
  3. Paint Your Wagon - even though I hate musicals

Because they make me feel better. and make me smile!

Oh Yeah & "Quigley Down Under"
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote