Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Dave329
Connoisseur
Dave329 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
----------------

Last edited by Dave329; 02-27-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Dave329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave329 View Post
How do I put it in shipping mode?
I charged the kindle to 100% but still it says "Unable to enter shipping mode owing to battery level falling below permissible level"

I guess I have to do the other way using the empty file in user store.
How do I do it?

I feel your actions are unethical, and you will certainly not get any help from me or from a number of other people on this site.

You are attempting to make a profit. You did NOT pay for a total of three Kindles (and not get some kind of compensation on those other two.)

Sorry, but you'll get absolutely no help from this moderator.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you are doing is attempting to sell a used Kindle as brand new. That is sleazy and illegal (yes, it is illegal to pass off used goods as brand new). Don't do it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-18-2014 at 02:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have to agree with the others--not the right thing to do. And I think you might be mistaken about the Kindle not being registered to your account. When Amazon ships Kindles, unless you indicate that it is a gift it comes registered to your account. I would imagine that when they ship out replacement Kindles, they would come pre-registered to your account as well.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't see what it being registered has to do with anything. Amazon knows the ID of the Kindles purchased or replaced on your account, regardless of whether or not they are registered. If they want to blacklist it, they will.

If they have blacklisted it, it is unethical to sell it without providing a warning. If it is not blacklisted, I really don't see what kind of ethical problem there is, after all, you currently have several Kindles for personal use and apparently that is not unethical, even though you didn't pay for them.

Check if they have been blacklisted, by trying to sign into an Amazon account (you can even create a new one if you suspect they may be watching your account ).
If you can sign into Amazon, sell the Kindles with a clear conscience.

(In fact, it would be a sign that Amazon doesn't really care...)

If you cannot sign in, you may end up in trouble when a buyer receives it and files a complaint against your seller account for fraudulent misrepresentation of goods.
Thus, you must clearly state in the product description that it is blacklisted.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
There actually is:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._Bar_Shortcuts

First enter ;debugOn , then ;shpm .
You may also need to put an empty file DONT_CHECK_BATTERY to user store beforehand.

EDIT: That's actually also the only way how to power off Kindle without root access.
Cool, so there IS a way after all! Now everyone can be happy, they can power off their Kindle to save power.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't see what it being registered has to do with anything. Amazon knows the ID of the Kindles purchased or replaced on your account, regardless of whether or not they are registered. If they want to blacklist it, they will.

If they have blacklisted it, it is unethical to sell it without providing a warning. If it is not blacklisted, I really don't see what kind of ethical problem there is, after all, you currently have several Kindles for personal use and apparently that is not unethical, even though you didn't pay for them.

Check if they have been blacklisted, by trying to sign into an Amazon account (you can even create a new one if you suspect they may be watching your account ).
If you can sign into Amazon, sell the Kindles with a clear conscience.

(In fact, it would be a sign that Amazon doesn't really care...)

If you cannot sign in, you may end up in trouble when a buyer receives it and files a complaint against your seller account for fraudulent misrepresentation of goods.
Thus, you must clearly state in the product description that it is blacklisted.
It's not unethical to sell them. But what is unethical and illegal is to try to sell them as brand new. That's what the OP wants to do by trying to reset them back to the same screen as when they came new.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #23
Dave329
Connoisseur
Dave329 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
--------------

Last edited by Dave329; 02-27-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Dave329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not unethical to sell them. But what is unethical and illegal is to try to sell them as brand new. That's what the OP wants to do by trying to reset them back to the same screen as when they came new.
It is brand new.

I would venture to say Dave329 is going to claim the Kindle was barely touched and is still in factory condition.

Which is true. It has been barely touched on the physical hardware side, and in the software, it has received the same attention that an Amazon technician would give, to reset it all the way back to shipping state.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is brand new.

I would venture to say Dave329 is going to claim the Kindle was barely touched and is still in factory condition.

Which is true. It has been barely touched on the physical hardware side, and in the software, it has received the same attention that an Amazon technician would give, to reset it all the way back to shipping state.
Amazon sent him pre-owned Kindles. If Amazon couldn't sell them as new, Dave shouldn't either. Used Kindles can still demand a good price provided they aren't blacklisted.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Amazon sent him pre-owned Kindles. If Amazon couldn't sell them as new, Dave shouldn't either. Used Kindles can still demand a good price provided they aren't blacklisted.
Did they?

Oh, well, my intent stands -- he can sell it as whatever Amazon gave him. Sell it as manufacturer refurbished.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
1 you purchased a refirb PW it was Defective? So 2 Amzon sent you another BUT was 2gig instead of 4 gig...am I correct so far? #3 was to replace the 2 gig? BUT Amazon Dosent want you to return the 2gig... Correct?? So you Decided to Keep the 2 gig & sell the 4 gig? .... I don't see a thing wrong so far BUT IF they are Refirbs You Cant take them completely back to Brand New... As for #1 What was broke...seems to me you only have 2 working PW not 3

IF you give me a decent price I be interested in the 4 gig as long as its working
Dose the yellow go away the brighter the light is?

Where in the World do u live

This is crazy... IF I reading correctly Amazon has New PW for $99 Yet the Refirb is also $99!! Neither are saying which gig they are.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-20-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This is crazy... IF I reading correctly Amazon has New PW for $99 Yet the Refirb is also $99!! Neither are saying which gig they are.
Both the new and refurbished PW2 for $99 are same price, because they are both on sale. The refurb went on $99 price before the new one - it appears that $99 wasn't Amazon's idea for new, but a pricematch for the new one when the refurb was already at $99. The refurb pile looks to be a mixed bag of 2gb or 4gb, new should be 4gb unless noted as older model. There is a third option - a refurb PW1 for $89 - which will most likely be 2gb (not guranteed as there was 4gb PW1 in the Japan version?).

Have to see when the PW2 new goes off sale, the refurb may stay at $99.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #29
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Both the new and refurbished PW2 for $99 are same price, because they are both on sale. The refurb went on $99 price before the new one - it appears that $99 wasn't Amazon's idea for new, but a pricematch for the new one when the refurb was already at $99. The refurb pile looks to be a mixed bag of 2gb or 4gb, new should be 4gb unless noted as older model. There is a third option - a refurb PW1 for $89 - which will most likely be 2gb (not guranteed as there was 4gb PW1 in the Japan version?).

Have to see when the PW2 new goes off sale, the refurb may stay at $99.
You think since they reduced the New they also reduce the Refirbs.
Is Japan where you live? Since you mentioned it.... I am in the USA
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You think since they reduced the New they also reduce the Refirbs.
Is Japan where you live? Since you mentioned it.... I am in the USA
No, if Amazon (US) got a hold of refurbished units from Japan, there is a very slight chance that a refurb PW1 could be a 4gb version. I am in the US, both my PW1 shipped with 2gb brand new in 2012.

I was saying that for some reason the refurb was already reduced by the time the new got reduced (possibly to match kobo aura sale for $99). I would think that Amazon would automatically make the refurb version at least as cheap as brand new. But I don't think Amazon wants to sell a refurb PW2 for less than $99 since they still give the same 1 year warranty as brand new.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote