Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Scribd vs. Oyster vs. KU vs. public library/overdrive

I've been using Kindle Unlimited since I found out about it in August. Just found out about Scribd and Oyster (thanks to this forum).

My local library has a good selection of fiction, I've got over 250 titles on my overdrive wishlist, of which over 150 are currently available for immediate checkout. But they are seriously lacking in some non-fiction categories that I'm currently interested in. That's why I jumped on KU when I found out about it.

I signed up for the Scribd trial a couple of days ago, I like their selection of fiction and non-fiction, they have the well-known authors that KU is missing. But the kindle/android app is annoyingly slow, especially the page turn slide animation, it's distracting. I'm going to give it a chance to see if I can get used to it during the trial, but really, why don't they have a better app?!

The little I've looked at Oyster, they seem to have similar selection to Scribd, how's their android app? I'll probably do their trial after the Scribd one is up.

Just wondering about user's opinions from people who've used one or more of these subscription services.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I've been using Kindle Unlimited since I found out about it in August. Just found out about Scribd and Oyster (thanks to this forum).

My local library has a good selection of fiction, I've got over 250 titles on my overdrive wishlist, of which over 150 are currently available for immediate checkout. But they are seriously lacking in some non-fiction categories that I'm currently interested in. That's why I jumped on KU when I found out about it.

I signed up for the Scribd trial a couple of days ago, I like their selection of fiction and non-fiction, they have the well-known authors that KU is missing. But the kindle/android app is annoyingly slow, especially the page turn slide animation, it's distracting. I'm going to give it a chance to see if I can get used to it during the trial, but really, why don't they have a better app?!

The little I've looked at Oyster, they seem to have similar selection to Scribd, how's their android app? I'll probably do their trial after the Scribd one is up.

Just wondering about user's opinions from people who've used one or more of these subscription services.
Oyster app is much nicer than Scribd. Scribd does not seem to care about reader experience. They keep it bare bones. The margins are too wide. Customer support is nice but the developer don't seem to care they could have more members by giving us more formatting options. I use Scribd because they have a ton of Romance books but I also don't care for their reading app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am currently happy with OverDrive. But the only one I would consider is KU, so I can read it on an E-Ink ereader.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I am currently happy with OverDrive. But the only one I would consider is KU, so I can read it on an E-Ink ereader.
I'd go with that too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Me too. I don't want to do any serious reading on a tablet, netbook, or PC. Fortunately, my library also has Freading, which delivers ePub books to ADE and I can read those on an E-Ink reader, just not the Kindle. And, I'm lucky to have one of those!
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use eInk anymore. I prefer my tablets.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't use eInk anymore. I prefer my tablets.
Me too. All I need to do is adjust the backlight to match the surrounding light level (using Screen Dim app on the devices that need it) and I'm very pleased with reading on a tablet.

With the Scribd app, the font is OK, the spacing is OK and I'm not fussy about margins, but I hate how distracting the page turn "slide" is, because it's not smooth. The overall slowness of menus and book loading doesn't help either.

I will try Oyster next month.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'm in a free trial for Scribd right now and it's OK. Oyster looks good too. I went with Scribd because I had a code for a three-month trial instead of just a one-month trial.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I already have Kindle Unlimited, but Oyster looks like it would have more of the titles that I like. I am going to have a new tablet for Christmas, so I am waiting until then to get the Oyster trial. Is the reader experience better than the Kindle app? I hope that they offer more/better fonts. Most apps have like three skinny fonts and I hate that. I like options. :-)

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I've been a subscriber to Scribd for over a year. I don't care for their app, but I tolerate it because they offer a decent selection of titles, now including many audiobooks. They do offer many titles from some major publishers, so I've never had any problem finding something to read. But I do wish their reading app was more robust, as it is sorely lacking in terms of user options.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Macmillan signed with Scribd and Oyster. 1000 test titles.

macmillan-subscription-ebooks
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Awesome!!! I am going to see what they got.