Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
warenjc
warenjc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle not starting on start

I have a Kindle (four button w/navigation button in center.)

I hope this is the right forum

All books I download to my Kindle, start where they are supposed to start accept mine. From other spots on the downloaded ebooks, other ebooks even "Go To" Beginning where they are supposed to. I use Kindlegen compiler and Sigil v7.2. I load the content.opf file to Kindlegen from the OEBPS folder and compile. But when I open my ebook on my kindle it always starts on the page PRIOR to the start page. Maddening. I believe everything is as it should be. What am I missing or what do I look for?

When using Kindle Previewer, it works exactly like it's supposed to. It opens on the Prologue page. I thought since other books open right and mine didn't, I went to Sigil - thought was my coding. Then I thought it was the device. BUt if all other books work, then it can't be the device. ARGHHH

My start page is the first entry in the content.xhtml file. Prior xhtml files are the toc, reviews, title, and copyright xhtml files.

OPF/Guide:
<reference href="Text/content.xhtml" title="start" type="text" />

( Sigil forum suggested this in guide <reference href="Text/content.xhtml#start" title="beginning" type="text" /> ) Didn't work.

HTML:
<body>
<h3 id="start"><span class="bold"><small>PROLOGUE</small></span></h3>

CSS:
h3 {
page-break-before: always;
}

Semantics OK at "text"

I am puzzled. I have extracted other books and the opf and xhtml coding are apparently set up the same way. The only difference I have found in one is the guide's title was "startup page".

HELP GOING NUTS HERE
warenjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by warenjc View Post
I have a Kindle (four button w/navigation button in center.)

I hope this is the right forum

All books I download to my Kindle, start where they are supposed to start accept mine. From other spots on the downloaded ebooks, other ebooks even "Go To" Beginning where they are supposed to. I use Kindlegen compiler and Sigil v7.2. I load the content.opf file to Kindlegen from the OEBPS folder and compile. But when I open my ebook on my kindle it always starts on the page PRIOR to the start page. Maddening. I believe everything is as it should be. What am I missing or what do I look for?

When using Kindle Previewer, it works exactly like it's supposed to. It opens on the Prologue page. I thought since other books open right and mine didn't, I went to Sigil - thought was my coding. Then I thought it was the device. BUt if all other books work, then it can't be the device. ARGHHH

My start page is the first entry in the content.xhtml file. Prior xhtml files are the toc, reviews, title, and copyright xhtml files.

OPF/Guide:
<reference href="Text/content.xhtml" title="start" type="text" />

( Sigil forum suggested this in guide <reference href="Text/content.xhtml#start" title="beginning" type="text" /> ) Didn't work.

HTML:
<body>
<h3 id="start"><span class="bold"><small>PROLOGUE</small></span></h3>

CSS:
h3 {
page-break-before: always;
}

Semantics OK at "text"

I am puzzled. I have extracted other books and the opf and xhtml coding are apparently set up the same way. The only difference I have found in one is the guide's title was "startup page".

HELP GOING NUTS HERE
Can you post that book here? Regarding this:

Quote:
...I use Kindlegen compiler and Sigil v7.2. I load the content.opf file to Kindlegen from the OEBPS folder and compile...
If you use Sigil, then with Kindlegen compile the .epub book generated by Sigil instead of content.opf.
If that fail, then if we can see your book maybe we can find a solution for you. One thing more: what version of Kindlegen are you using? Kindlegen 2.9?
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
warenjc
warenjc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle loads EPUB with book.

I was told that when I load to kindlegen by using epub file, it compiles the book but also loads the epub file along with it, making it a huge file to download. It is why I compile with Kindlegen using just the opf file. Is this true? I don't care, whatever it takes for problem to go away.

I will definitely try this. If it works, thanks. If not, I'll be back with book, but we're looking at 76K words.

The only other thing I can think of is to try the <hr class="sigilchapterbreak" />. And also, don't know if you've had any feedback on Sigil, but it seems like when I went to 7.2 from 6, is when problems started. ??

Last edited by warenjc; 07-18-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add help info for kindle guru
warenjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by warenjc View Post
I was told that when I load to kindlegen by using epub file, it compiles the book but also loads the epub file along with it, making it a huge file to download. It is why I compile with Kindlegen using just the opf file. Is this true? I don't care, whatever it takes for problem to go away.
Try compiling the epub and after that, use KindleUnpack (or Kindlestrip) to reduce the .mobi size. Use Kindlegen 2.9 (or 2.8), previous versions of Kindlegen (i.e. 2.5, 2.6) have problem precisely with your issue.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote