Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #1
bigscotty
bigscotty began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle
The Agony

My PRS-505 slipped from my bag and fell about 3 feet. It landed flat on its backside on an area rug over a hard wood floor. It was in its case/cover.

I've dropped all kinds of devices over 20 years, but I think this must be the first device that was rendered completely useless in what appeared to be an inconsequential fall.

Looks like I'm back to paper.

Here's a post mortem pic for those that want to see the remains.

http://www.brianscottrogers.com/Tumb...ges/reader.jpg

Last edited by bigscotty; 06-03-2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
bigscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Wow -- I am so sorry that happened to you. I've dropped my 500 in similar conditions (inside its default case) and not had any negative results.

Is your unit under warranty? It shouldn't have broken on such a fall.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, my condolences. i would be really upset if that happened to me. hopefully sony will replace it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Bummer bigscotty, lets pray Sony comes thru for you
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
bigscotty, sorry about the loss. I've dropped mine a time or two but not with such disastrous consequences. Be sure and let us know how Sony responds.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
bigscotty

I'm a few days out from the incident, and my girlfriend is looking for the receipt since this was a gift. It's not looking hopeful that she will find it. With that, I've not contacted Sony just yet. In the meantime, I've noticed a few things that I haven't missed since the loss.

I haven't missed shopping on the Sony Store.
I haven't missed unplugging it from the USB port to find that it failed to charge.
I haven't missed picking it up to use it and finding the battery depleted after three days of non-use.
I haven't missed babying it trying to protect it from harm (only to lose that battle in its first knee-scrape).

I loved reading on the 505. It was everything else I had to do with it that was a pain.

Has anyone had success getting help from Sony without a receipt?

Scott
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Scott--
I haven't had to get a hold of Sony Support--good luck with that! I sure hope you can get a replacement unit...

With the other problems you describe (except for shopping on the Sony Store), it sounds like you had a bum unit to begin with. I've never had problems with my 505 charging via USB--and you should be getting far better battery life than three days! Something like two to three weeks is what you should be able to expect.

I hope you're able to get a replacement that fixes both your screen and your battery issues. It sounds to me like you probably got a lemon of a unit and that could well be why the screen broke after a seemingly inconsequential fall.

Good luck!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good luck, but I seriously doubt that Sony will fix it under warranty. Dropping it a metre onto a hard floor doesn't count as "normal use".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
bigscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good luck, but I seriously doubt that Sony will fix it under warranty. Dropping it a metre onto a hard floor doesn't count as "normal use".
Agreed. However, it's the first device I've dropped in 15 years that was rendered completely useless. I guess the leather case makes a suitable mousepad.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The glass substrate under the screen is very thin and fragile. If you catch it at the wrong angle, it will, unfortunately, easily fracture. That's true of any such screen - including any laptop. Would you expect a laptop to survive such a fall?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I broke my iliad screen. Even if I haven't broken my Sony Reader screen I can tell you that e-ink screens are more easily broken than any devices I've had before.

I think HarryT is a little bit protective about the eink devices. I had the same fall type with my Asus EEE laptop. No problem so far ... ergo: the laptop LCD screens are far more robust.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
bigscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The glass substrate under the screen is very thin and fragile. If you catch it at the wrong angle, it will, unfortunately, easily fracture. That's true of any such screen - including any laptop. Would you expect a laptop to survive such a fall?
Expect it to survive? Not necessarily. Have I seen laptops and other devices survive such falls (or worse) on film sets? Yes, regularly.

That doesn't change the fact that my reader "failed its saving throw versus crushing blow."

Last edited by bigscotty; 06-05-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
enochchiang
enochchiang began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
I know what it's like. I have a camera backpack (meaning very well padded), and all I had in the compartment with the ereader was a supersoft leather small bible. No fall from the backpack...but a screen that was cracked and no longer useful. I wanted to cry. But then I looked at the bright side, decided to upgrade, and got a like new prs-505 for $175. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to budget for it...
enochchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscotty View Post
Expect it to survive? Not necessarily. Have I seen laptops and other devices survive such falls (or worse) on film sets? Yes, regularly.

That doesn't change the fact that my reader "failed its saving throw versus crushing blow."
I once dropped a Compaq laptop (the 386i, I think the model was called) with only the fabric slip cover for protection, down a flight of metal stairs (a full flight, 30ft), bouncy bounce all the way to the concrete floor.

The plastic corners were crushed, but the machine booted and ran fine, and no damage to the screen.

They just don't build 'em like they used to.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
From the stories that I have heard of others who have "dropped" their Sony Readers, Sony does not replace broken screens under warranty -- not even the extra extended warranty. On the other hand, I dropped my PRS-500 in just the default cover over a year ago on to hard concrete. It worked fine afterward. The only damage was a little crinkle in the corner of the case.

Good luck with Sony repair.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote