Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
New Fire HD 6/7: TTS better than on KK?

Hi,
For those of you who bought the new 6 or 7 inch Fire HD: How do you like it, and how does Text to Speech compare to the old kindle keyboard, for instance? Is the voice equally un-animated, or does the speech resemble more Siri/OK Google (not sure if OK Google has an actual name)?

I am thinking about picking up a 6incher so I can switch to TTS when driving, but I do have a KK that I bought precisely for this purpose, and which I never use, because the voice is just too computerized-monotonous.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Don't know if this will help you or not, but I just got an HDX 7 and it uses the Ivona Salli voice. You can hear an example of it here:

http://www.ivona.com/us/for-individu...s-for-windows/
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ivona TTS is very good. It's what the Onyx T68 uses, too.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it pauses whenever it reaches a full stop, and it's too dumb to tell the difference between a full stop used in an abbreviation, and one used at the end of a sentence, so if you have something like "Mr. Smith walked down the street", the result is "Mister <long pause> Smith walked down the street". That may be the fault of the reading app, rather than Ivona, though.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-09-2014 at 04:46 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
I had the Kindle Keyboard & still have my KT, which has the same robotic TTS (which I can't stand). Even though it's not perfect, the Ivona TTS in the Fires is a huge improvement over this. Much more natural sounding. I prefer it to the Google Now voice, but I can't speak for Siri since all I've heard of that is from commercials. There are more choices of voices on the new Fires as well. One of the reasons I bought the HD 6 to replace my aging KT was because of the improved TTS among other features in a similar form factor.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awesome, thank you all for your replies!! I have Ivona on my phone and it's quite a difference to the old KK TTS. I think I just found an excuse to get myself one of these babies, especially if Bestbuy will accept my ancient Nokia N800 as a tablet trade-in.
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have the org HD & KK You have but 2 choices M or F But the computer voice sound way better on the fire than the KK But when I listen to an Audible on either they sound the same.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have the org HD & KK You have but 2 choices M or F But the computer voice sound way better on the fire than the KK But when I listen to an Audible on either they sound the same.
For audible, I already have phones and iPods, but for TTS, this would be interesting.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The Fire HDX allows you to download other Ivona voices, too. In addition to "Salli", I have "Nicole" and "Russell" (Australian English), Amy and Brian (UK English), and "Joey" (American English).

You can also download French voices (Canada and France dialects) and German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian and Spanish (Spain) voices.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
The Fire HDX allows you to download other Ivona voices, too. In addition to "Salli", I have "Nicole" and "Russell" (Australian English), Amy and Brian (UK English), and "Joey" (American English).

You can also download French voices (Canada and France dialects) and German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian and Spanish (Spain) voices.
Can't wait!!!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Question - does the Android Kindle app have TTS?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

How do you do it?

Never mind, I found it

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-09-2014 at 10:27 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Question - does the Android Kindle app have TTS?
Not as such. But you can have it read out 'continuous text' by turning on TalkBack (in Accessibility settings) and learning a few of the gestures needed to pause and resume & navigate when it is on. You can even install Ivona as a TTS engine and use that. One disadvantage is that you cannot lock the screen and have it keep reading as you can with TTS on the Fire, and you have to adjust reading speed in Android Settings rather than directly in the app.

It is very similar on iOS using VoiceOver, and a bit more streamlined, but you're limited to the default voices (unless iOS has opened that up in iOS8).

Last edited by tomsem; 10-10-2014 at 02:03 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm

One more question about fire tablets: does TTS work with USB calibre sideloaded books?
And with "docs", a.k.a. Books sent wirelessly?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Docs (AKA non Amazon books ) work just fine with TTS on the Fire 6". Funny bit, I was listening to something on the KK where one of the characters is named Presley. A sentence that ended

... "coming from a half-pint like Pres."

was read aloud

a half-pint like President (the KK seeing 'Pres.' as an abbreviation).

The Fire read the sentence out loud correctly with the nickname.

(Most annoying book I listened to on my KK had a main character named Max... every sentence that ended with the dude's name, it was read Maximum!)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, abbreviations can be a problem. All TTS systems I've used, for example, will read "St." as "Street", even when it should be "Saint".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote