Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Abercrombie Fans, are you with me?

I love the Bloody Nine character from the First Law series and Red Country. I want Joe Abercrombie to write more Logan Nine Fingers.

I dont care if it's prequel, sequel or concurrent, just would really enjoy more.

Maybe we can send that message.

I read his newest, Half A King, and liked it but as it seemed to be slanted towards a YA audience it didnt really stick with me like the First Law series did.

Thoughts?
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I like Logan (go berserkers! ) just fine, but Major West was my favorite :P Just because of the very well done character development.
Abercrombie has more books in First Law world so if you haven't read Heroes, Best Served Cold and Red Country. Heroes features a character from the First Law trilogy, namely Black Dow.
There's also a First Law comic which you can read for free if you're craving for more Logan :P
http://www.firstlawcomic.com/archive/1/

As far as the sequel to First Law trilogy goes, I know he planned it, but not before he finishes his YA trilogy.
Maybe you can find more on his blog.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Most of his characters are great. I think that's probably the biggest strength of his fiction. I must admit I have a soft spot for the Northmen, and Logen in particular, but I don't really see what there is left to say about him.

As I understand it, he is contracted to do another trilogy in the First Law world after he's done with the Half a King trilogy. Everything's been in chronological order so far, I wonder if this one will be too? Surely some of the characters are getting a bit too old (or dead) now?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I must admit I have a soft spot for the Northmen, and Logen in particular, but I don't really see what there is left to say about him.
First Law spoiler, don't open if you haven't read the trilogy.
Spoiler:
Really? The books ended with a literal cliffhanger! He fell of a cliff but we get no indication that he's dead, so why wouldn't there be a chance for a continuation?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
First Law spoiler, don't open if you haven't read the trilogy.
Spoiler:
Really? The books ended with a literal cliffhanger! He fell of a cliff but we get no indication that he's dead, so why wouldn't there be a chance for a continuation?
Actually, I liked the way it was done. I would like to read more about Logen Ninefingers, but as DrNefario said there isn't much for him to do.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Geralt
Witcher

[B]Abercrombie Fans, are you with me?[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Actually, I liked the way it was done. I would like to read more about Logen Ninefingers, but as DrNefario said there isn't much for him to do.
I think only Abercrombie knows if there is or isn't much for Logen left to do.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like Logan (go berserkers! ) just fine, but Major West was my favorite :P Just because of the very well done character development.
Abercrombie has more books in First Law world so if you haven't read Heroes, Best Served Cold and Red Country. Heroes features a character from the First Law trilogy, namely Black Dow.
There's also a First Law comic which you can read for free if you're craving for more Logan :P
http://www.firstlawcomic.com/archive/1/

As far as the sequel to First Law trilogy goes, I know he planned it, but not before he finishes his YA trilogy.
Maybe you can find more on his blog.
I have read all the Abercrombie books, Red Country, Heroes, etc. and enjoyed them all.

Good to hear he is going to return to sequel the First Law series. .

I know the 2nd YA title is due soon so I would hope he has that series wrapped in 2015 and can give us more.

Thanks for the heads up. .
Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
I think only Abercrombie knows if there is or isn't much for Logen left to do.
I would think there's plenty more trouble nine fingers can get into - I've got faith in the creative mind of Joe Abercrombie. .
Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As much as I'd enjoy more Logen, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on him to appear in the promised new First-Law-world trilogy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
desert dog
Zealot

Yes, will have to see. . It will be a treat regardless..
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Spoiler:
I am a little bit confused: wasn't logan one of the main characters in red country (under the name "lamb")?
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Spoiler:
I am a little bit confused: wasn't logan one of the main characters in red country (under the name "lamb")?
Yes he was.

And a post by Joe himself on why he rarely does repeat points of view. He might often reach for familiar characters for important background roles--or even fairly prominent roles. But the "stars" of his stories rarely get repeat star roles. Secondary characters get elevated and primary characters might get demoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie
People generally want more of something right up until the point they don’t want it any more. And the art is in never reaching that point. And just as important, if not more important, as keeping the audience fresh and excited, is keeping ME fresh and excited. Yes, it is possible. A reader might get through the First Law in a month or two, and be desperate for more of those characters. I spent several years with them, and was good and ready to move on. And if you’re bored of something, feel like you’ve exhausted it, said all you need to say on a subject, but continue to flog the dead horse because you somehow feel you have to, it’s going to show. You can’t somehow expect that readers will be fascinated by things you yourself are finding laborious.
Quite an enlightening and very honest post all around, I thought. Definitely worth reading if you haven't already

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-13-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes he was.

And a post by Joe himself on why he rarely does repeat points of view. He might often reach for familiar characters for important background roles--or even fairly prominent roles. But the "stars" of his stories rarely get repeat star roles. Secondary characters get elevated and primary characters might get demoted.

Quite an enlightening and very honest post all around, I thought. Definitely worth reading if you haven't already
just read it, I see his point(s).. interesting post.. but I do wonder if Logen Nine Fingers is one of those characters that can carry a series of books.. James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher, Dresden, etc.. Certainly the world Abercrombie created is rich amd complex enough to allow for it...

Either way, I am a fan and will continue to read on..
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I understand the sentiment, and I get get caught up in a long-running series sometimes too. But I tend to burn out these days on series that are carried by the same characters for too long. I like all things to end--concretely and in a reasonable time frame. Preferably while I'm still loving the crap out of them.

And yes ... I know that makes me an atypical fantasy fan.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Be careful what you ask for. Look what he did with that scamp Nicomo Cosca. One minute he's a somewhat lovable rogue and the next he's a lowlife snake you wouldn't piss on if he was on fire.

Logen is still charming to me, baresarker defect and all. There is still a magical aspect to his affliction.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote