Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-27-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Want to create border on image inside SVG wrapper

Back again with another stupid SVG question...
I want to add a border to an image inside an SVG *wrapper*.
I tried by using "border-width="xxxxxx", and by using "style="border-width:xxxxxxx", etc, etc, etc. And those don't work worth a darn. Using "rect" inside a wrapper won't work. I have googled around unsuccessfully, so now I am stuck.

Is it possible to do this? Do I have to make some sort of declaration to identify these?
Any advice will be much appreciated.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Solution:

Code:
<div style="border:1px black solid;">
  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" height="99%" preserveAspectRatio="none" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 768 1024" width="99%">

<image height="99%"  width="99%" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"/>

</svg>
</div>
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Back again with another stupid SVG question...
I want to add a border to an image inside an SVG *wrapper*.
Can you show your current code?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Odedta, your code was interesting, but it will distort the image if the screen size does not exactly match the image ratio. That would work, though, for some abstract designs, etc. I will keep that one in my back pocket for future use. Thanks.

I wanted some background color around all edges, instead of the image butting right up against the frame on two sides.

This did not work for me:
Code:
<head>
<title>cover</title>

<style type="text/css">
@page {margin: 0; padding: 0; border-width: 0; }
body {margin:0; padding: 0;  border-width: 0;
 }
div {
text-indent: 0em;
text-align: center;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<div>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="99%" width="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 1024 1457" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="1457" width="1024" style="border-width:5px; border-style:solid; border-color:black" xlink:href="../Images/coverET.jpg"/>
</svg>
</div>
</body>

I ended up using the following, which sets the div with a black background color, and adjusting the viewport size and alignment.

Code:
<head>
<title>cover</title>

<style type="text/css">
@page {margin: 0; padding: 0; border-width: 0; }
body {margin:0; padding: 0;  border-width: 0;
 }
div {
text-indent: 0em;
text-align: center;
background-color: black; 
}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<div>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="99%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="-30 -30 1084 1497" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="1457" width="1024" xlink:href="../Images/coverET.jpg"/>
</svg>
</div>
</body>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackBackground.png
Views:	422
Size:	596.4 KB
ID:	128983  
Old 09-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can simply add a <rect> with stroke after the image (it will be drawn above it). The problem here is that it will overlap the image.

Code:
<svg ... viewBox="0 0 600 800">
<image height="800" width="600" xlink:href="Cover.jpg"/>
<rect height="800" width="600" style="stroke-width:10;stroke:rgb(255,0,0);fill:none;"/>
If you don't want that, and you want some even border around the image, you can do some math, as you did with the viewport, and put a filled <rect> behind the image:

Code:
<svg ... viewBox="-10 -10 620 820">
<rect height="820" width="620" x="-10" y="-10" style="fill:rgb(255,0,0);"/>
<image height="800" width="600" xlink:href="Cover.jpg"/>
Note the math is very simple: for a 10-unit-wide border, use "-10" instead of "0" and "820" instead of "800" (in viewBox and in the <rect> properties).

Another idea would be to scale the image down, so you can skip the math, but then the borders are not even (because adding is not the same as multiplying), you don't have the same control on their size, and you need maths for the translations (now the math is divide by two):

Code:
<svg ... viewBox="0 0 600 800">
<rect height="800" width="600" style="fill:rgb(255,0,0);"/>
<g transform="translate(300,400)">
<image height="800" width="600" x="-300" y="-400" xlink:href="Cover.jpg" transform="scale(0.95)" />
</g>

Last edited by Jellby; 09-29-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@Jellby, thank you. Some new tricks to play with, I love it!

I don't know why my eyes glaze and my brain goes to sleep when I see the letters SVG, but I have been trying to overcome that.

I will try the filled rect the next time I want a border. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

By the way, my I say that I prefer the cover image to take the whole screen? My reader is already adding enough margins on its own (especially on thumbnails).
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could add a border to the picture itself, so you don't have the trouble with SVG or CSS.
I know that you have IrfanView. There are two options in Image:
1. Change cavas size (which actually means: Add image border. You can choose a colour.).
2. Add border/frame (with a selection of defined frames).
I think this is easier.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	129107  
Attached Images

GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@George -- thank you for the idea. Simpler is always better, isn't it?