Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #1051
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
You need a rooted device to retrieve the book files (stored in "/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books"), but I was able to download books and import them into Calibre.
Has anybody tried this recently? I did this in March and it worked (had to root my device first but small price to pay to be able to read the magazines). However, I tried now and cannot seem to find any new files.

I am trying to get the latest Analog and Asimov's. I can read them on the android device but would much rather read them on a proper device, i.e. my Kobo...

The B&N download folders have nothing new in them.

Thanks,
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #1052
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Has anybody tried this recently? I did this in March and it worked (had to root my device first but small price to pay to be able to read the magazines). However, I tried now and cannot seem to find any new files.

I am trying to get the latest Analog and Asimov's. I can read them on the android device but would much rather read them on a proper device, i.e. my Kobo...

The B&N download folders have nothing new in them.

Thanks,
The latest ones are the July issues -- I had no trouble getting them from my Android tablet using an older version of the Nook App (but I also have the Greasemonkey script, and sometimes use it).

The next issues are due out on July 7th, I believe.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #1053
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm so glad I read this thread. I have no trouble downloading books using Nook for PC, but haven't been able to Alf them since I updated my credit card late last year. In my case it just meant I didn't buy e-books from B&N anymore. I wonder if they have any bean counters doing a cost benefit analysis on sales lost due to their updated DRM scheme?

Spent some time yesterday downloading Nook Study, imported a book into Calibre and bang!, B&N and I are dating again

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-29-2015 at 04:44 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #1054
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
The latest ones are the July issues -- I had no trouble getting them from my Android tablet using an older version of the Nook App (but I also have the Greasemonkey script, and sometimes use it).

The next issues are due out on July 7th, I believe.
Thanks. I've never managed to get the greasemonkey script to work for me...

In any case, I tried a different (also rooted) Android device and this one worked, allowing me to download the issues and then get them onto calibre for eventual download to my Kobo. Whew!

Both devices have the v4 Nook app (wish I'd kept the old one) but behave differently. One is a Nexus 7 with Android 5 and the other (working one) a Nexus 4 with Cyanogenmod 12.1.

Anyway, I'm up to date on both Analog and Asimov's. I cannot believe how difficult Dell make it to read their magazines...
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #1055
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post

Both devices have the v4 Nook app (wish I'd kept the old one) but behave differently. One is a Nexus 7 with Android 5 and the other (working one) a Nexus 4 with Cyanogenmod 12.1.

How old a version do you want?

Freeware lovers has three old ones, 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6:

http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...00001-22_2.apk
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #1056
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
B&N just made a major update to their website, and the Nook Library section is all changed and the greasemonkey script no longer works. Who knows, it may change again, since there's currently no way to read previously purchased books from the website.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #1057
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Thumbs down

Yep. Just verified both observations.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #1058
bridgetnotgidget
bridgetnotgidget began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Cool B&N removed download option on all books in "My Nook" library

so I have been using nook thru my PC, and now can't get to my books is there a way to get to them, I use Chrome.
bridgetnotgidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #1059
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
What's that banging I hear? Methinks it's the final nail going into B&N's coffin.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #1060
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Silly me thought that bookstores were supposed to sell things that people can use!

Can I take it Nook Study/for PC no longer downloads books?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #1061
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Silly me thought that bookstores were supposed to sell things that people can use!

Can I take it Nook Study/for PC no longer downloads books?
I just tried with both Nook Study and Nook for PC and I was able to download previously purchased books. If I can find a good free book, I'll try a new book.

Shari

Edit to add: Well, I just went to www.barnesandnoble.com and couldn't get anywhere. I kept getting redirected to a page asking me to put in my email address to "Be in the Know. Sign up for savings, news, updates." No matter what I put in the box I get an error telling me that it's an invalid email. I'll try later, if I have time. I tried in both IE and Firefox, and the same thing happened in both browsers.

Last edited by shalym; 06-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #1062
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Website now just shows "We'll be back soon..."
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #1063
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
They hired web designers from Kobo?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #1064
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Website now just shows "We'll be back soon..."
Probably going to add clothing and toys to the web site.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #1065
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
They hired web designers from Kobo?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote