Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #961
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
... I've switched most of my ebook-buying to Amazon, which is a major shift as I used to avoid them like the plague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give Google Play a go. They have prices the same or similar to Amazon and you can still get ePub like you did via B&N.
Thanks, but given a choice between Amazon/K4Mac and Google/ADE, I prefer Amazon/K4Mac. I find those .ascm files pesky Also not a fan of all the navigational anchors Google adds to their ebooks.

Quote:
And because these ePub are using standard adept DRM there will be no problem removing the DRM.
... until some bookseller switches on the hardened DRM
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #962
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
... until some bookseller switches on the hardened DRM
Because I am sticking with ADE 2.x, I cannot download with the new DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #963
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
To those of you no longer buying ebooks at BN, who's getting your business instead?

I've switched most of my ebook-buying to Amazon, which is a major shift as I used to avoid them like the plague.
When I first started, I mostly bought from Fictionwise -- owned by B&N, so they got most of my money. Nearly all of it, in fact. Back then I also bought a few ebooks directly from B&N, plus some from Smashwords and some from Baen. Almost none from Amazon.

When B&N closed Fictionwise I started buying from Kobo. Then B&N, etc., and a few from Amazon.

After Kobo screwed up several of my orders and I had to grapple with their idea of "Customer Service" I bought most of my ebooks from B&N, and frequently posted B&N links for books that were reported as Amazon bargains here in MR's Freebies forum.

Since B&N revamped their DRM I've bought no books from them. I still buy from Kobo if I have a good coupon code (which is a very rare occurrence these days, so only one or two a month). I buy more from Smashwords and Baen, but I buy most of my ebooks from Amazon.

I have bought a couple of ebooks from Google, but (trying to avoid controversy over wording) I find the Amazon process preferable to the ADE process. Very much so.

So, Amazon is the big winner for me.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #964
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because I am sticking with ADE 2.x, I cannot download with the new DRM.
It was my understanding that once a bookseller decides to switch fully to the new DRM, ADE 2 won't work with them, and you'll have to upgrade to ADE 3 or 4 if you want to continue buying books from them.

I'm already plenty annoyed with BN for fiddling with their DRM. The last thing I want is to start buying from an ADE-based bookseller and have them switch to the new DRM.

Of course, Amazon could start messing with their DRM as well, but at least we haven't heard any rumors that they're heading in that direction. Adobe, on the other hand, proudly announced "hardened DRM" over a year ago and has already added it to their software, just waiting to be activated.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #965
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
It's not an issue that people prefer K4PC. But to say that K4PC is easier to use than ADE is incorrect.
It is... marginally. If you know what you are doing.

Several people here do know what they are doing.

K4PC is more streamlined/automatic because it can be -- it is an integrated part of the vendor ecosystem. ADE cannot ever be that -- it is a third-party middleman, and each side has to explicitly speak to ADE

The whole thing is silly, because neither of them are that hard to use TBH.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #966
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The whole thing is silly, because neither of them are that hard to use TBH.
Yes!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #967
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Thanks, but given a choice between Amazon/K4Mac and Google/ADE, I prefer Amazon/K4Mac. I find those .ascm files pesky Also not a fan of all the navigational anchors Google adds to their ebooks.
Instead of first downloading the .ascm file, you could instead just associate .acsm to open with ADE. So when you click on a download button, ADE opens up with the book right there. That's actually a bit quicker than having to manually open for K4PC to find your book.

I'll admit I don't like ADE either (nor Google books, I've run into too many "amateur" books that have no place having any type of price tag on them), I always use Sony's Reader software that I used from the 350-PRS readers and it still works perfect, so I don't bother with ADE nor with hunting down the .acsm link. The Sony Reader software opens instead of ADE whenever I download an epub that would normally first give me an .acsm file.

I go one step further and have a single shortcut created to my most frequent book stores I purchase from will open up both the required software needed to download the book and an explorer window at the location of the book. So 1 shortcut opens up both K4PC and it's location in explorer; 1 shortcut opens up NookStudy and it's location in explorer; etc. Saves me even more time having to find the book to then drag into Calibre.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:52 AM   #968
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I don't know about you guys, but that second click to deal with the ebook being downloaded is just one click too many...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #969
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Instead of first downloading the .ascm file, you could instead just associate .acsm to open with ADE. So when you click on a download button, ADE opens up with the book right there. That's actually a bit quicker than having to manually open for K4PC to find your book.
Well, purchasing it doesn't count apparently (in terms of step counting) so alll you have to do with K4PC is click the taskbar launcher, vs. clicking the download button for a .acsm -- assuming FF is set to auto-open using ADE, either one is one-click, but ADE might not be configured right (apparently Jon requires two steps ).

That would be the marginal difference.

I won't ever be reading in either application, so I could not possibly care less (even if I tried very very hard ) about how long it takes to open the book itself... I only care about the download process. It may be my imagination, but I don't think I am the only one...
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #970
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I used the URL method to get my key and it resolved my issues.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #971
yarnmama
Constant Reader
yarnmama doesn't litteryarnmama doesn't litteryarnmama doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
To those of you no longer buying ebooks at BN, who's getting your business instead?

I've switched most of my ebook-buying to Amazon, which is a major shift as I used to avoid them like the plague.
Same here. It made me sad to do so for many reasons.
yarnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #972
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
...to say that K4PC is easier to use than ADE is incorrect.
Obviously, it's a matter of opinion because for me just the opposite is true. I really wish I did find ADE easier to deal with since I prefer epubs. Maybe if you only ever download one book at a time, and you've never had the .acsm file just say, "Nope, not gonna give you your book!" But the big difference I see is the ability for bulk download. With K4PC (and Nook for PC), you open the program, and there's no further action required to get all the books currently queued up. While you can open more than one .acsm file at a time, I don't know any way around downloading each .acsm file one at a time.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #973
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

^^ Excellent point as well, I forgot about that...

Heck, it's easier to manually queue books for download when you can simply click on them from a list, vs downloading a file for each one.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #974
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
^^ Excellent point as well, I forgot about that...

Heck, it's easier to manually queue books for download when you can simply click on them from a list, vs downloading a file for each one.
It depends on your way of work. I prefer to control when and how to download them than simply adding them and, when I at the end open K4PC (I don't usually do), I have to see which have been downloaded

Anyway, in the end, I think it's only a matter of liking.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #975
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

All too often:
Easier != control

I maintain my point. We are both right.