Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #946
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recently added a sample eBook to my B&N library and when I use the greasemonkey alternate download link, I get OPPS!. But when I use that link on previous eBooks it works. So I think B&N is really screwing with us even more now.
Back in late January I had trouble downloading a couple books with Nook for PC. I then tried with Tampermonkey and got oops! for one of them. Finally got that one downloaded with Nookstudy. A day or so later I checked the Tampermonkey alternate download link for that book again, and it worked. So it seemed to be a temporary glitch, but you just never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
To those of you no longer buying ebooks at BN, who's getting your business instead?
Ever since the removal of the download buttons I've stopped buying from BN. I don't want to end up with a book I can't get my hands on, unlock, and use on whatever device I want. I just pick up freebies to keep an eye on the DRM situation.

BN was my store until their latest eink device was such a huge disappointment for me. So I got a Kobo. Now it's mainly Kobo and Google, then Amazon, depending on price.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #947
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
To those of you no longer buying ebooks at BN, who's getting your business instead?
I've bought a little from Kobo, but on principle I'm only buying DRM-free books there. Wildside Press has gotten some of my coin as well.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #948
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Baen, Amazon and Amazon UK are the ones I use the most.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #949
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never used B&N, because they don't sell internationally. I used to buy mostly from Kobo, Diesel, Smashwords and Amazon, but these days I purchase most of my books from Google (Google Books became available for my country only recently) and Smashwords. Google prices are great, Kobo is almost always more expensive. I don't buy much from Amazon any longer, I'm tired of their overcharging international customers ($2 surcharge etc), except occasional freebies and self-pubs, which are not available elsewhere.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #950
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Now that Books On Board is gone, B&N is unreliable, and Kobo is apparently no longer interested in discounting their inflated prices by up to 90%, I'm mostly buying at Amazon. I used to shop around a lot but it's hardly worth the trouble anymore.

Felony & Mayhem is one small publisher that reissues old books, mostly mysteries, in print and ebook versions. They sometimes have sales on their website and their ebooks are epub without DRM.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #951
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
I prefer to purchase from companies that allow me to download non-DRM'd books without any fuss, but for books unavailable from those sources I purchase from Amazon. Amazon's software is just less annoying to me than ADE.

I love my two Nook Simple Touches (one front-lit, one not) but I haven't purchased ebooks from BN since they started playing with their DRM.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #952
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I've switched most of my ebook-buying to Amazon, which is a major shift as I used to avoid them like the plague.
Give Google Play a go. They have prices the same or similar to Amazon and you can still get ePub like you did via B&N. And because these ePub are using standard adept DRM there will be no problem removing the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #953
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpegg View Post
I prefer to purchase from companies that allow me to download non-DRM'd books without any fuss, but for books unavailable from those sources I purchase from Amazon. Amazon's software is just less annoying to me than ADE.
I don't see how you can say that Amazon;s software is less annoying than ADE. That's just the opposite. For one thing, I don't have to sync and download. The eBook is already in my ADE eBook directory. Also, if I am looking for a specific eBook, it's there in the ADE eBook directory by name so I can do a simple search and find it. That makes ADE easier to deal with (IMHO).
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #954
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I don't see how you can say that Amazon;s software is less annoying than ADE. That's just the opposite. For one thing, I don't have to sync and download. The eBook is already in my ADE eBook directory. Also, if I am looking for a specific eBook, it's there in the ADE eBook directory by name so I can do a simple search and find it. That makes ADE easier to deal with (IMHO).
Rather than sync and download via K4PC, you have to download a .acsm file and open it with ADE, in order for ADE to sync the book from the content server. I can definitely see how Amazon is the one with the extra step.

I am never looking for a specific ebook, I would just import all of them via calibre's auto-add folder setting, which cleans up after itself. The book is useless for me in the Amazon ebook folder, so why should I care that the ADE ebook folder uses titlenames?

Once in calibre, they are very easy to find.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #955
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Rather than sync and download via K4PC, you have to download a .acsm file and open it with ADE, in order for ADE to sync the book from the content server. I can definitely see how Amazon is the one with the extra step.

I am never looking for a specific ebook, I would just import all of them via calibre's auto-add folder setting, which cleans up after itself. The book is useless for me in the Amazon ebook folder, so why should I care that the ADE ebook folder uses titlenames?

Once in calibre, they are very easy to find.
But, I can download the .acsm file and have ADE open it and download the eBook in ONE step. That's ONE step, not an extra step. I can do that via my web browser. In order to get an eBook from Amazon, I have to specify which computer it's going to and then I have to fire up Kindle for PC, sync, download and then I have it. That's three more steps I have to do then I do with ADE.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #956
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But, I can download the .acsm file and have ADE open it and download the eBook in ONE step. That's ONE step, not an extra step. I can do that via my web browser. In order to get an eBook from Amazon, I have to specify which computer it's going to and then I have to fire up Kindle for PC, sync, download and then I have it. That's three more steps I have to do then I do with ADE.
Yeah... and if your default Kindle device is K4PC (and unless you own an E-Ink Kindle, it probably is, and if you own an E-Ink Kindle you are probably not using K4PC and are anyways committed to Amazon )...

then when you buy it it is automatically queued for download to K4PC. Same goes for whichever your default device might be.

So all you need to do is start K4PC (or have it open already) and without any further action... the book will be downloaded. Back to one step, I am afraid.

Jon, Jon, Jon... this irrational hatred of Amazon means you have never given their products the same loving attention you give to ADE and all its eccentricities.
There are ways of streamlining the process in either service, if you know what you are doing.

I have made sure to test both to their limit. Because I prefer knowing things to saying things (although I like that too )...

And I have determined IMO K4PC is more streamlined than ADE.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-18-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #957
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And I have determined IMO K4PC is more streamlined than ADE.
Sorry, but ADE is more streamlined than K4PC. ADE is a ONE step process. Click the download link, get the .acsm file, your web browser requester opens asking what to do and usually the default option will be to open with ADE. Then you click OK and the .acsm downloads, ADE opens, the ePub is downloaded and done.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #958
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Sorry, but ADE is more streamlined than K4PC. ADE is a ONE step process. Click the download link, get the .acsm file, your web browser requester opens asking what to do and usually the default option will be to open with ADE. Then you click OK and the .acsm downloads, ADE opens, the ePub is downloaded and done.
Err, that is two steps?
(And note that I have it set to automatically open in ADE, without prompting me about anything, so... you are your own bad example???)

Also, K4PC is one step also/for real. I already said, click the taskbar icon for K4PC, it starts up and automatically downloads the book.

What part of "no manually-triggered sync necessary" do you NOT understand?

One button click, and it is done.

Sheesh. Why do you have such a problem with the fact that others prefer avoiding ADE? Why do you care so much, get so darn defensive about a company that doesn't care about you (any more than Amazon does)...
Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #959
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Let's describe what me do. Open K4PC, go online, buy from amazon (using 1click no need to specify to what device since K4pc is default) , go back to K4PC and the book is already waiting for me.

Amazon I don't need to specify where to download to, don't have to instuct my web browser/Os to open a .acsm file , don't have to click ok to download the book
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #960
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Err, that is two steps?
(And note that I have it set to automatically open in ADE, without prompting me about anything, so... you are your own bad example???)

Also, K4PC is one step also/for real. I already said, click the taskbar icon for K4PC, it starts up and automatically downloads the book.

What part of "no manually-triggered sync necessary" do you NOT understand?

One button click, and it is done.

Sheesh. Why do you have such a problem with the fact that others prefer avoiding ADE? Why do you care so much, get so darn defensive about a company that doesn't care about you (any more than Amazon does)...
It's not an issue that people prefer K4PC. But to say that K4PC is easier to use than ADE is incorrect.