Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Rickkins
Groupie
Rickkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G000PP(5.10.0.2)
Easiest one to create "folders" in...??

I mean, all other being equal of course.

I have a first gen paperwhite which really meets all my needs, but grouping books together is a freakin' nightmare. Yes, I did manage it using calibre & 'collections' sometime last year, but now I have more sorting to do, and I gotta learn the damn thing all over again.

There has GOT to be a better way, even if it means a different device.

Thanks..!!
Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kobo will do this automatically, because calibre writes directly to the database.

On the Kindle it is a little harder, because the database is hidden -- but since you have the PW1, either you are jailbroken or you can -- and it just requires another step or two. Once you have it set up, you shouldn't have to think about it anymore.
Just install [GUI Plugin] Kindle Collections and follow the directions listed.
It has gotten easier/faster now that barsanuphe released librariansync (a Collections Manager alternative).

Do note that there are other differences between Kindles and Kobos, my favorite difference is the one where the Kobo spends a few hours processing every time you add a bunch of books.
Dunno why they are the only ereaders out there (that I know of) which don't just let you read the book immediately...

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-09-2015 at 05:13 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
Rickkins
Groupie

A few hours processing each time you add a bunch of new books.....

Holy moley.

Frustrating.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Noooo its far quicker than that in adding books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just to add some actual stats to eschwartz's F.U.D., as it happens I just added my 10 newest reads to a Kobo Aura H2O via calibre/USB. It took 50secs for the Kobo to process them. I believe Kobos are slower than some other devices at processing new books but I can live with 5secs/book ... but then again I'm retired I have plenty of spare time
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have heard people say numerous times that they leave their Kobo overnight to index the new books they put on, that makes me think far longer than 5s/book... I don't think they were talking about strictly cases where hundreds upon hundreds are added at once.
~5s/book is slightly longer than the Kindle, but not enough to actually cause complaint, I should think.

From what I hear, it stores the entire search-this-book index at that time (rather than using a separate index process while you read them) -- which can be expected to take time. Have I heard incorrectly?

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Regardless, my advice is to first see if your current device (always the priority) can handle it, so see if you can get Kindle Collections up and running.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
From what I hear, it stores the entire search-this-book index at that time (rather than using a separate index process while you read them) -- which can be expected to take time. Have I heard incorrectly?
I wasn't aware Kobos did any search-this-book indexing at all but I may be wrong. What they definitely do (no idea why) is analyse the TOC and add into the database an extra item for each TOC entry, as well as the usual per-book stuff such as author, title, series/index, synopsis, etc. As far as I know, there's no background indexing after the initial processing, at least I've never noticed any. Again, I may be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Regardless, my advice is to first see if your current device (always the priority) can handle it, so see if you can get Kindle Collections up and running.
Now that I can agree with But, as you said, if it's unsuccessful any Kobo (or Sony) will give good automatic control of Collections via calibre.

P.S. In the interest of more facts, I recently did a factory reset of my Aura HD and hadn't yet got round to reloading my whole list of TBR books. I just did now. 180 books (all epub) took exactly 30mins, which is 10secs/book, so whether there is some sort of geometric increase in processing time as #books increases or whether processing time is related to TOC size - who can say?

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-09-2015 at 07:26 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I wasn't aware Kobos did any search-this-book indexing at all but I may be wrong. What they definitely do (no idea why) is analyse the TOC and add into the database an extra item for each TOC entry, as well as the usual per-book stuff such as author, title, series/index, synopsis, etc. As far as I know, there's no background indexing after the initial processing, at least I've never noticed any. Again, I may be wrong.
Yes, that is correct. The processing extracts the metadata and ToC into the database. There is no indexing of the book contents and searching the book contents is only possible when reading the book.
Quote:
P.S. In the interest of more facts, I recently did a factory reset of my Aura HD and hadn't yet got round to reloading my whole list of TBR books. I just did now. 180 books (all epub) took exactly 30mins, which is 10secs/book, so whether there is some sort of geometric increase in processing time as #books increases or whether processing time is related to TOC size - who can say?
When I setup my Aura H2O, it was quicker than that. I think about 10 minutes for 100 books. But, there were a lot of short stories where the ToC only had one or two entries. So, I am pretty sure the size of the ToC has an affect plus there is some effect of the number of books being processed and already on the device. Not much of an affect, but noticeable when you get in to the thousands of book.

And there were a couple of firmware versions that were really slow when processing the books. There recent ones have been improving, but I think they are almost back to the earlier speeds.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Rickkins
Groupie

Lots of great info here, which truly appreciate.

Perhaps though, I might "refine" my question, as I'm getting confused.

Is there a device where I can simply create whatever folders I want, in windows, place my books in the folders, and simply drag n' drop the whole thing into the reader...?? And ifso, which...?? It sounded like the kobo would, but I not sure if I got that right...

Thanks. (and sorry for being so noobular)
Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Pocketbook devices allow you to group by folders or by metadata.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #12
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Lots of great info here, which truly appreciate.

Perhaps though, I might "refine" my question, as I'm getting confused.

Is there a device where I can simply create whatever folders I want, in windows, place my books in the folders, and simply drag n' drop the whole thing into the reader...?? And ifso, which...?? It sounded like the kobo would, but I not sure if I got that right...

Thanks. (and sorry for being so noobular)
I do it all the time with my Kindle DX using KindlePdfViewer, so you should be able to do that with Paperwhite too if you install and use KOReader as a file manager.

You can use folders and subfolders.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276

Last edited by markom; 04-10-2015 at 04:57 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Kobo WILL NOT display the books in folders if you do that (you can put them in folders in Windows and move those folders onto a Kobo and the books will all be available, but they will show up as one big list rather than individual folders/collections in the native Kobo reader). I think some of the alternative readers that you can put on the Kobo (no rooting etc. required to put them on the device) may be able to "see" the folders dropped on the device this way and display them but I haven't used them so I can't comment specifically on that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Pocketbook, Onyx-Boox, Boyue & other Android eReaders too

Quote:
Pocketbook and Onyx-Boox both allow this (first hand experience). I'm fairly sure that the Boyue T62+ does (from its manual), and would suspect that most (all?) other Android eReaders will too.

I have heard that it is possible to do this on some Kobos, if you (i) root it, (ii) install a File Manager app & (iii) place your books in a directory whose name starts with a full-stop (causing Kobo's own book-cataloging system to ignore it).

Addendum: this feature shows up in the eBook Reader Matrix as the "Folders" feature.

Caveat: being able to simply 'Drag and Drop' would not only rely on the 'Folders' feature, but also on the eReaders' storage showing up in Windows when connected to a computer. I can see no reason why this wouldn't be the case, but can only speak with certainty to the two eReaders (one Pocketbook, one Onyx-Boox) that I've owned.

Last edited by Hrafn; 04-10-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Caveat
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Pocketbook and Onyx-Boox both allow this (first hand experience). I'm fairly sure that the Boyue T62+ does (from its manual), and would suspect that most (all?) other Android eReaders will too.

I have heard that it is possible to do this on some Kobos, if you (i) root it, (ii) install a File Manager app & (iii) place your books in a directory whose name starts with a full-stop (causing Kobo's own book-cataloging system to ignore it).

Addendum: this feature shows up in the eBook Reader Matrix as the "Folders" feature.

Caveat: being able to simply 'Drag and Drop' would not only rely on the 'Folders' feature, but also on the eReaders' storage showing up in Windows when connected to a computer. I can see no reason why this wouldn't be the case, but can only speak with certainty to the two eReaders (one Pocketbook, one Onyx-Boox) that I've owned.
For the Kobos, you don't have to do any of those things--all you have to do is install KOReader, which can be done without rooting. There is a sticky thread in the Kobo forum which describes this in detail.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote