Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #61
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Instructions for running from source are here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html

As for commenting it out, simply chang the line

if isxp:

to

if False:
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #62
Howlingwolf
Groupie
Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Touch
2.1 and Windows XP

Quote:
Release: 2.1 [28 Sep, 2014]
New Features

Prevent calibre from installing or running on Windows XP as there have been many reports of Qt 5 crashing on Windows XP and Windows XP is now no longer supported by Microsoft. If you are on Windows XP, please stay with calibre 1.48 until you are ready to upgrade your windows.

Could this be reduced to an installer warning instead, along with a support moratorium if necessary.

Perhaps something along the lines of:-

'This is an unsupported configuration with known issues. Continue at your own risk'
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #63
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Could this be reduced to an installer warning instead, along with a support moratorium if necessary.

Perhaps something along the lines of:-

'This is an unsupported configuration with known issues. Continue at your own risk'
Yes he could, no he won't.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41#post2909041

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-02-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: threads were merged, added quote.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #64
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Fair enough.

I have Calibre Portable on an external hard drive specifically so that I can transfer my library easily between my various computers, some of which run XP. Since the only changes I noticed in 2.0 are cosmetic, as far as I'm concerned Calibre is frozen at 1.48. That's fine; Calibre was mature a long time ago.

Are there any known problems downgrading Calibre Portable from 2.0 to 1.48? I've played around with a few settings, mainly to get the interface looking like it was before. Will that cause any problems?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, no known problems
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #66
Howlingwolf
Groupie
Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.

Ah...

Thank you.

I didn't see that. Probably because I stopped reading when the socially challenged started in with their 'My Windows Are Better Than Your Windows' nonsense.

Last edited by Howlingwolf; 08-29-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Speeling Mistook
Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #67
kdogg
kdogg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2.0 Working Great On My XP

In fact, it's working somewhat better than 1.4x when I've got lots of programs loaded.

Please give us XP users the option of trying new versions.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #68
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah...

Thank you.

I didn't see that. Probably because I stopped reading when the socially challenged started in with their 'My Windows Are Better Than Your Windows' nonsense.
Oh, I think it is undisputed that Win7 is better than WinXP -- the question is, does it matter, is it worth the extra money, and most of all, is that "better" going to do anything for you (rhet.) in particular.

If you happen to be lucky enough that Qt5 behaves on WinXP for you, you can use the source mod that Kovid explained, if not there is no real harm in sticking with 1.48/2.0.

Err, not true actually. Kobo updated firmwares will undoubtedly start needing updates to the device interface, which would require updating calibre. Still possible by patching the source (by hand) even for 1.48, and I believe there was just an update (to go with the H2O) which requires enabling the experimental-support-unsupported-firmware option but works just fine.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-02-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: threads were merged, added quote.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #69
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
In fact, it's working somewhat better than 1.4x when I've got lots of programs loaded.

Please give us XP users the option of trying new versions.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41#post2909041

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-02-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: threads were merged, added quote.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #70
Howlingwolf
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Oh, I think it is undisputed that Win7 is better than WinXP -- the question is, does it matter, is it worth the extra money, and most of all, is that "better" going to do anything for you (rhet.) in particular.
Undisputed by who?

Seriously...

My needs haven't changed and migrating to W7 is going to take time (and effort) which I simply do not have available at present.

Quote:
If you happen to be lucky enough that Qt5 behaves on WinXP for you, you can use the source mod that Kovid explained, if not there is no real harm in sticking with 1.48/2.0.

Err, not true actually. Kobo updated firmwares will undoubtedly start needing updates to the device interface, which would require updating calibre. Still possible by patching the source (by hand) even for 1.48, and I believe there was just an update (to go with the H2O) which requires enabling the experimental-support-unsupported-firmware option but works just fine.
That doesn't surprise me. I'm probably going to end up setting up a dev-env and doing my own builds simply because it's quicker and easier than the migration.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #71
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
That doesn't surprise me. I'm probably going to end up setting up a dev-env and doing my own builds simply because it's quicker and easier than the migration.
Running from source doors not require you to do your own builds. It is sufficient to have the source on a local disk and point calibre to it. I have been running from source for years and have never compiled anything.

You do need to set things up so you can pull source changes from github. This is actually much faster than downloading binary releases.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #72
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

But not all of calibre is written in python, some of it relies on the compiled C++ extensions. Linux is supported for development, so I can simply run
Code:
cd ~/git/calibre/ && sudo python2 setup.py develop
to recompile the extensions and have everything running from source. Fastness.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #73
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But not all of calibre is written in python, some of it relies on the compiled C++ extensions. Linux is supported for development, so I can simply run
Code:
cd ~/git/calibre/ && sudo python2 setup.py develop
to recompile the extensions and have everything running from source. Fastness.
Just install the latest binary. It will have all the support libraries and extensions in it. I think that in 4 years I have had three instances where I have needed a new binary between releases where I couldn't wait because of release planning, and in each case Kovid has built an intermediate binary for me. For this situation it suffices to pull the source when a version is released and grab the binary at the same time.

If the binaries refuse to install on xp then this solution won't work. My understanding is that they refuse to run, not that they refuse to install.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #74
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

And it seems you can also use
Code:
cd ~/git/calibre/ && python2 setup.py build
to build the extensions in-place.

If there is nothing to build, it will run really fast and report nothing to do. So you could even alias
Code:
cd ~/git/calibre/ && git pull [upstream master] && python2 setup.py build
as calibre-update or whatever, and no need to trouble kovid with new builds. You wouldn't even notice the need to check anything.

Remember, you're the one who said "This is actually much faster than downloading binary releases." I'm just agreeing with you.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #75
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And it seems you can also use
Code:
cd ~/git/calibre/ && python2 setup.py build
to build the extensions in-place.

If there is nothing to build, it will run really fast and report nothing to do. So you could even alias
Code:
cd ~/git/calibre/ && git pull [upstream master] && python2 setup.py build
as calibre-update or whatever, and no need to trouble kovid with new builds. You wouldn't even notice the need to check anything.

Remember, you're the one who said "This is actually much faster than downloading binary releases." I'm just agreeing with you.
Have you forgotten that we are taking about windows XP? And no, that is not an invitation to start yet another long discussion about why people should upgrade or switch to a Linux desktop.
Closed Thread