Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #106
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Space was the whole reason I bought an ereader in the first place. Tiny house, books stacked up everywhere, it just got to a point where there simply wasn't any more room.

Now I'll only buy a physical book when there's no digital copy available. And it makes me feel sad and deprived and 20th Century.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #107
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I wonder if age has something to do with an unwillingness to give up print, tangible books for digital, intangible books?
I admit that I struggle at times with handing over money for something I do not physically hold in my hand, there is a negative gut reaction to the whole digital idea. Nevertheless, dedicated to freeing my life of clutter, and needing larger print and sometimes text-to-speech, I can't argue with the common sense factor of going digital to simplify and improve my life.
Wondering if anyone else struggles with the digital vs tangible problem? Maybe it's generational :-)
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #108
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm not sure about general trends, but my decision to buy paper over digital isn't age-related. On principle, it galls me to pay for a product that is designed to stop working after a while (i.e. DRM encryption). It would be like buying a paper book printed with disappearing ink. Even if there was some chemical I could spritz on the pages to fix the ink and keep it from disappearing, I wouldn't buy such a book and give my money to those who thought that was a good idea. Secondly, I have a couple of bookstores nearby where I've gotten to know the owners and workers. I value their existence and like supporting them. In essence, I have nothing against digital books, and I know about Alf, but I prefer the way I'm treated when I buy paper books. I think I would have had the same feelings when I was younger.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #109
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
On principle, it galls me to pay for a product that is designed to stop working after a while (i.e. DRM encryption). It would be like buying a paper book printed with disappearing ink.
But that is not what they were designed for, and that is not how it works. You might as well say exactly
The same thing about paper books, because 'by design' they stop working if you go blind or if they get set on fire, just as if they were printed with disappearing ink. I'm no fan of DRM but that's an inappropriate criticism. To stand by your principle as stated, if you think it applies to DRM, you'd have to never buy any product that might ever stop working for any reason.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #110
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
But that is not what they were designed for, and that is not how it works. You might as well say exactly
The same thing about paper books, because 'by design' they stop working if you go blind or if they get set on fire, just as if they were printed with disappearing ink. I'm no fan of DRM but that's an inappropriate criticism. To stand by your principle as stated, if you think it applies to DRM, you'd have to never buy any product that might ever stop working for any reason.
DRM encryption doesn't have to be on a digital book, ebooks do exist without it. DRM encryption is applied to make sure that a digital book stops working unless certain conditions can be met. Part of those conditions require active participation by the ones who applied the DRM, and can go away at any time that they please. That is quite different from having a house fire, or the paper in books degrading with age. Just because the final result is the same, it doesn't mean we should feel the same way about them. Otherwise, there would be no difference between dying of a heart attack and being murdered.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #111
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I wonder if age has something to do with an unwillingness to give up print, tangible books for digital, intangible books?
I admit that I struggle at times with handing over money for something I do not physically hold in my hand, there is a negative gut reaction to the whole digital idea. Nevertheless, dedicated to freeing my life of clutter, and needing larger print and sometimes text-to-speech, I can't argue with the common sense factor of going digital to simplify and improve my life.
Wondering if anyone else struggles with the digital vs tangible problem? Maybe it's generational :-)
I don't have space for tangible. My only problem with digital is control. The publishers want to maintain control. I am not willing to give up control. Without Alf, the publishers would be without my money.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #112
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
I still buy print non fiction ...mainly reference or training books, have about 3000 now in both library and studio. i have a new set of Game of Thrones still in cello wrapping not opened since last xmas.how awful is that? Ipad seems easier but i will read them soon as they were a gift.....i promise!
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #113
paindaisy
paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paindaisy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
While I do miss the feel a printed book, digital is much more convenient.
paindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote