Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 04:31 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Maybe if I compared them side by side, I would notice the difference.
Otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about
I've attached an illustration which shows the difference.

Compare the letters "f", "a", and "g" in the italic font to that of the synthesised one - you'll see that the letters are formed in different ways and (to my mind) look a lot more attractive in the "genuine" italic font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font.gif
Views:	293
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	13013  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #77
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeedoug View Post
A hold switch would be nice. The unit tends to switches pages when put into a bag with other items. Sony should integrate this hold into the power on/off switch.
The power button that both 500 and 505 have is the hold button. It function is not to turn off the reader. The reader is always on. When you use power button, you in a sense activate a hold button which prevents accidental use of buttons and clears a screen.

How your unit manages to turn pages when put in a bag I cannot imagine...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #78
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Compare the letters "f", "a", and "g" in the italic font to that of the synthesised one - you'll see that the letters are formed in different ways and (to my mind) look a lot more attractive in the "genuine" italic font.
I see. Yes it looks nicer I see the difference.

Thanks for the pic. I wanted to ask someone here to produce something like that but didn't want to bother anyone.

[EDIT] However, I have just made a quick trial:

Except "f" the rest os the letters looks OK although not as good as true italics. In your example the difference is a lot more noticeable. Maybe it depends on base font and that's why I don't use Swiss because Times fonts present synthesised italics a lot better.

Last edited by astra; 05-24-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #79
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How your unit manages to turn pages when put in a bag I cannot imagine...
IF you don't use the "hold" switch as you call it... it is pretty easy to push one of the 0-9 buttons along the bottom of the screen on the 500 since that is where you pick it up. These buttons jump in the book to the percentage based on the number.... so, if you press the 3 it just 30% into the book.

This used to happen to me and I thought the reader was forgetting the location. Once I realized what was happening I always used the "hold" switch before closing the cover I never had this problem again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #80
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:

Harry - I remember that we discussed this issue and I am 1000% with you.

I think if Steve Jobs were to be the PM, this would definitely not happen... Geez. Sony should get some typographist on the team since they were designing a *book reader*.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #81
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
IF you don't use the "hold" switch as you call it... it is pretty easy to push one of the 0-9 buttons along the bottom of the screen on the 500 since that is where you pick it up. These buttons jump in the book to the percentage based on the number.... so, if you press the 3 it just 30% into the book.

BOb

Sure. I just cannot imagine how one can put the reader into a bag without "switching it off"? I have never done it even by mistake. It applies to any gadget. I finish using it, I switch it off.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #82
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hm... I'm suprised no one mentioned "true" standby as a feature request for the next reader. As astra said, the standby we have is basically a hold button that blanks the screen too. The reader still consumes power.

I want the next reader to have a true standby mode that actually powers it off (and I'm not talking about a 3 min long boot up). I'm puzzled why they didn't do this for the current versions... just park everything in RAM + the processor register context to it's solid-state memory and voilà, real standby mode. This would do wonders for battery life.

And a dictionary would be lovely, too. But no integrated keyboard, a touchscreen would be much better.

Also, the number one request: FOLDER SUPPORT! Would give up everything for that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #83
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I want the next reader to have a true standby mode that actually powers it off (and I'm not talking about a 3 min long boot up).
You just can't have it both ways. You want it to use no power when you are not using it, but you want it to be instant on when you want to use it. I'm not sure that is possible.... even the fastest device needs some startup time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #84
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You just can't have it both ways. You want it to use no power when you are not using it, but you want it to be instant on when you want to use it. I'm not sure that is possible.... even the fastest device needs some startup time.

BOb
Of course it will need some startup time, but I believe with register context parking, they could push it to under 3 seconds. The biggest slowdown would be RAM loading, but it's not like the reader uses a whole lot of RAM... in fact, how much does it use under normal operation? Anybody?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #85
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Code:

AAAAA44                 44444AA       44444AA
               AAAAAAA44                44444AA       44444AA
              AAAAAAAAA44               44444AA       44444AA
             AAAAAAAAAAA44              44444AA       44444AA
            AAAAA44 AAAAA44             44444AA       44444AA  
           AAAAA44   AAAAA44            4444444444444444444AA 
          AAAAA44     AAAAA44           4444444444444444444AA
         AAAAA44       AAAAA44          4444444444444444444AA
        AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA44                       44444AA
       AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA44                      44444AA
      AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA44                     44444AA
     AAAAAA44              AAAAA44                    44444AA
    AAAAAA44                AAAAA44                   44444AA
   AAAAAA44                  AAAAA44                  44444AA
  AAAAAA44                    AAAAA44                 44444AA
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #86
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
heh.... ascii wishes... we really are geeks on this forum.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As has been said repeatedly, an A4 device would not be a replacement for the current "pocket-sized" reader; it would be a different device for a different market. I wouldn't want an A4 reader - far too big to carry around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #88
Valloric

Quote:
As has been said repeatedly, an A4 device would not be a replacement for the current "pocket-sized" reader; it would be a different device for a different market. I wouldn't want an A4 reader - far too big to carry around.
I absolutely agree. It would be a completely different device for a completely different audience. The main things Sony needs to focus on and improve are battery life (it's great, but it could be even better) and readability (italic fonts and better contrast).
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #89
astra
The Introvert

Agree
Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #90
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have good eyes.

I should have been more specific - I would like a higher resolution display capable of displaying an A4-sized document in a readable (albeit tiny) way.

I would then be able to read scanned texts without having to worry about conversion. I am a student and often get assigned scanned pages from magazines and books that I would like to be able to read on my Sony Reader.

I use libprs500 and pdflrf where I can, but some scans are junk. These I print two-pages-per-page, so I am used to reading tiny text.

I agree that an A4-sized reader would be a different device completely.
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, keyboard, upgrade