Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Sideloading into iBooks

I have a Windows 7 computer and an iPad2 with iOS7 recently installed. I used to be able to transfer ebooks I have designed on to the iPad by dragging and dropping from the Windows folder to the iPad ebooks folder open in iTunes, but when I tried to transfer an ebook this afternoon it wouldn't work - all I got was a circle with a transverse bar.

Is this anything to do with iOS7? How can I get ebooks from my Windows computer into iBooks?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
How can I get ebooks from my Windows computer into iBooks?
I don't use iTunes, but you can put them in DropBox and download them using the DropBox app (other cloud services may work too). They'll open in iBooks using the 'open in' feature. Not ideal of course if you have a bunch you want to transfer at the same time as you have to do it one book at a time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

From within iTunes, click on the Books tab, then select File --> Add to Library, then select your file and click Open. The book should then display in the Books tab. To get it on the iPad you will need to sync.

EDIT: These instructions are for a Mac computer, they might be slightly different on Windows.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both.

I think the problem was related to iOS7 or both, since for a while I couldn't open iTunes at all from the iPad standing alone, but that problem was resolved when I attached the iPad to the computer and let it synchronise.

And I had already found a work around: In the past I attached the iPad to the computer and let it open iTunes. I tried opening iTunes then attaching the iPad, and was able to drag and drop as I did before.

I'll try your suggestion Jack in case I have the problem again.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Better yet, use Marvin.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Better yet, use Marvin.
I'm starting to, but it's a steep learning curve.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Quote:
I'm starting to, but it's a steep learning curve.
Please let me know if I can help you with anything.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks for the response.

Do you have, or would you consider providing, a stand alone manual? Something that I could read on my computer or in print while trying to work through basic tasks would be very helpful.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Do you have, or would you consider providing, a stand alone manual? Something that I could read on my computer or in print while trying to work through basic tasks would be very helpful.
You don't need a stand alone manual. Marvin is pretty easy. It has a built in tutorial. The harder part is calibre. I'd check out some of the sticky threads over in the calibre forum.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
DaveinJapan
Enthusiast
DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.DaveinJapan invented the internet.

Device: iPhone
If your file is an epub, one workaround is the Book Proofer app. I used that to test my own book on my iPhone before publishing to Smashwords and iBooks, it seemed to work pretty well (I set the settings to automatically open Book Proofer for any epub files).

I'm on a mac though, not sure if that's available for windows or not.

What's this Marvin you guys are talking about? Sounds intriguing.
DaveinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinJapan View Post
What's this Marvin you guys are talking about? Sounds intriguing.
Marvin is a reader application for iOS with its own forum here at MobileRead -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=260.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 10-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

At some point I'll be writing a user's guide as a built-in EPUB. I also write tutorials and articles about twice a week on blog.marvinapp.com. I cover both basic and advanced functionality. You might find it useful.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
At some point I'll be writing a user's guide as a built-in EPUB. I also write tutorials and articles about twice a week on blog.marvinapp.com. I cover both basic and advanced functionality. You might find it useful.
The built-in ePub would be very helpful, and I'll check out the blog.

Thanks for the support.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
From within iTunes, click on the Books tab, then select File --> Add to Library, then select your file and click Open. The book should then display in the Books tab. To get it on the iPad you will need to sync.

EDIT: These instructions are for a Mac computer, they might be slightly different on Windows.
Well, importing the book to iTunes was no trouble. But when I synced my iPad, it didn't install it. So, I synced my iPod Touch and it installed the book with no trouble, so it isn't the book. Some setting, I suppose?

Working with iTunes reminds me of the days when I had a Sony PRS 500 and had to work with the Sony Library. Not very user-friendly, it seems to me.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Well, importing the book to iTunes was no trouble. But when I synced my iPad, it didn't install it. So, I synced my iPod Touch and it installed the book with no trouble, so it isn't the book. Some setting, I suppose?

Working with iTunes reminds me of the days when I had a Sony PRS 500 and had to work with the Sony Library. Not very user-friendly, it seems to me.

Jim
Yep, iTunes is a royal PITA. But I would check the settings for your iPad within iTunes. Just because you load books, videos, music, apps, etc. into iTunes, they don't automagically sync to every iOS device you registered with iTunes. Thankfully they don't! You might not want all these items on every device, so iTunes has settings that allow you to select what will sync to which iOS device. iTunes cannot read your mind, so you need to select the iPad then go into the Books tab and select which books to sync with it.