Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #28156
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If they buy new dryers simply because they neglect to clean the vent*, you really should offer to take those old dryers, then resell them. You'll make a killing.

ApK

*Clogged vents prevent the clothes from getting dry. Cleaning the vents "magically" fixes the dryer.
But clogged vents can also cause a fire and burn the whole place down. Cleaning the vents is too late at that point, and I would not recommend buying the dryer in that case....)

Last edited by ApK; 07-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #28157
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
No, that isn't it. They buy the most expensive appliances of the best brands. Whether they need/use all the features or not. My mother always researches the options whenever she needs a new appliance, decides what her budget is and which features she needs and which she would like. She reads tons of reviews before deciding.

With my friends it's a simple matter of not taking care of things. Not cleaning filters, running the cleaning/maintenance program regularly, etc. Last week I took out the compartment of the washing machine in which you put the detergent. It was just caked in muck. It took me most of the day, a lot of hot water and a turn in the dishwasher to get it reasonably clean. It's the same with smaller appliances btw.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Yuppperdoodle, that'll do it. Neglect a major appliance--especially as they become more automated, more computerized--at your own risk.

We have only recently replaced a washer and dryer set that we'd had for..15 years. That's early for us, but we are no longer young, and Mr. Hitch doesn't feel like trying to fix things that go "eeeep" and keel over, like he used to. We bought a new dishwasher when we moved to this home, 8 years ago now, because the cheap POS that was in here, from the former owner, was utterly untenable. The house features an "open floor plan" living-room/dining room/kitchen area, and we have high ceilings and stone (travertine) floors. When that cheap Whirlpool d/w would start up, you couldn't hear yourself think 3 rooms away in either direction. That sucker HAD to go. We replaced it with a Bosch, that I have loved since it arrived, and it's never given me a moment's hassle. (I probably just jinxed myself...).

I also scrupulously clean the new (this past winter acquisition) W/D, wiping down all the surfaces, running the monthly cleaning cycle, and all that, because HELL, brothers nad sisters, I was horrified when I realized that the price of ONE of the two laundry machines was the same price as my first CAR. I figure, these babies can take me right to the grave. And trust me: I am NOT Martha Stewart, by a long shot; it's just..I want those, the dishwasher and the new range to last as long as I do, now. (Weird to think that's not really...out of the range of possibility...)

We only replaced those because the washer had started making this godawful noise, in the spin cycle, that sounded like...I don't know. A fluffle of tortured screaming bunnies that were shapeshifted banshees? Yeah...like that. Even the furry members of the house would look up at us, from beneath half-raised lids, when the washer started to shriek...

Like all machines--granted, this is "by and large" admittedly--you take care of machines, and they'll take care of you. Yes, there are lemons in the world, but...a little TLC goes a long way with cars and other major doodahs that make our lives easier.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #28158
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yuppperdoodle, that'll do it. Neglect a major appliance--especially as they become more automated, more computerized--at your own risk.

We have only recently replaced a washer and dryer set that we'd had for..15 years. That's early for us, but we are no longer young, and Mr. Hitch doesn't feel like trying to fix things that go "eeeep" and keel over, like he used to. We bought a new dishwasher when we moved to this home, 8 years ago now, because the cheap POS that was in here, from the former owner, was utterly untenable. The house features an "open floor plan" living-room/dining room/kitchen area, and we have high ceilings and stone (travertine) floors. When that cheap Whirlpool d/w would start up, you couldn't hear yourself think 3 rooms away in either direction. That sucker HAD to go. We replaced it with a Bosch, that I have loved since it arrived, and it's never given me a moment's hassle. (I probably just jinxed myself...).

I also scrupulously clean the new (this past winter acquisition) W/D, wiping down all the surfaces, running the monthly cleaning cycle, and all that, because HELL, brothers nad sisters, I was horrified when I realized that the price of ONE of the two laundry machines was the same price as my first CAR. I figure, these babies can take me right to the grave. And trust me: I am NOT Martha Stewart, by a long shot; it's just..I want those, the dishwasher and the new range to last as long as I do, now. (Weird to think that's not really...out of the range of possibility...)

We only replaced those because the washer had started making this godawful noise, in the spin cycle, that sounded like...I don't know. A fluffle of tortured screaming bunnies that were shapeshifted banshees? Yeah...like that. Even the furry members of the house would look up at us, from beneath half-raised lids, when the washer started to shriek...

Like all machines--granted, this is "by and large" admittedly--you take care of machines, and they'll take care of you. Yes, there are lemons in the world, but...a little TLC goes a long way with cars and other major doodahs that make our lives easier.

Hitch
Reminds me of when my grown older daughter would borrow the washer and dryer. I would tell her clean the lint screen. Her response but it's not full yet. My response that dryer is older than you so clean it every time.
She did as she was told. Yes, I would have made her go to a laundromat.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #28159
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Reminds me of when my grown older daughter would borrow the washer and dryer. I would tell her clean the lint screen. Her response but it's not full yet. My response that dryer is older than you so clean it every time.
She did as she was told. Yes, I would have made her go to a laundromat.
"It's not full yet?" Sh**t, I didn't even know that was a thing. I've always thought you had to clean it every time, mostly for air flow, and how could you know, in advance, how much lint the wash you're doing NOW, would have?

In my mother's household, not only would you have been banned to the laundromat, but you'd have lost ALL on-site laundry privileges. Hell, just for arguing about it. ;-) You softy, you, Cin!

Hitch
Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #28160
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
He just keeps complaining and not doing anything about it 'because it's so expensive'. With his savings, he can replace that geyser with something more modern thrice over and STILL not notice the expense. I wonder why so many old people become frugal to the point of being miserly, even if a heap of money is staring them right in the face.
I went through things like that with my mother decades ago when I still lived at home.

For instance, she was a British expatriate, who emigrated to Canada with her family when she was a young girl, and she met my father in the US during WWII. She drank a lot of tea, and always had a kettle on the stove to produce hot water. She always bought the flimsiest, cheapest ones she could get, because she had a bad habit of forgetting the kettle was on, and letting it boil dry and char before she realized it, and the cheapest ones were cheapest to replace. We had several conversations about "You know, mom, if you spent the money and bought a good kettle, you wouldn't have to replace it if you forgot and let it boil dry, and long term you'd save money!"

But she was totally focused on the immediate expense and never did get the concept of life-cycle costs. I eventually gave up and stopped arguing about it, as it was just a waste of time.

She and my father both grew up during the Great Depression, which marked those who did in odd ways.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #28161
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Major appliances are the same order of object as cars. To get the maximum life, you buy the best you can afford, and scrupulously maintain it according to manufacturer recommendations, and you run it into the ground.

A late friend had me rolling my eyes over that. He'd start with junkers and run them into the ground, claiming that the initial cost was so much lower. "Uh huh.", I said. "And what value do you place on your time? I've witnessed what you have to do to keep the junkers running, and I'll flatly state that if you bought a decent used car in the first place and maintained it properly, you have to expend far less time and effort and it would cost you less all told!" I never did get that across to him.

A former girlfriend sat down with her mom when she needed a car to do the research. It was the days before the Internet Ate the World, so a bit more complicated to do. They decided she needed a good used car, and researched which models had the best maintenance records and the least visits to the dealer for service. She would up getting a Dodge Dart which ran like a top for years.

Along that line, SF writer Robert A. Heinlein told a story about getting his first car after being invalided out of the Navy by TB and settling in Colorado. He took a train to the East Coast to meet with John W, Campbell, his editor at Astounding SF Magazine, to whom he'd sold a novel. His return trip went through St. Louis, because he wanted to meet fellow writer E.E. "Doc" Smith, author of the classic Lensman series.

They got along splendidly. When RAH mentioned that he really needed to get a car, Smith offered to assist him in selecting one. Back then, it was customary that you took a car for a test drive before actually buying. They looked at good condition used cars, and Smith's technique was to take it out, find a clear straight stretch of highway with no other traffic, then floor the accelerator while he had his ear pressed against the driver side door to listen to the noises the car made under speed.

RAH described it as somewhat hair raising, but effective. The one Smith decided was acceptable ran well for years, and Smith secured it for the amount RAH had just collected from Campbell for the sale. That was rather less than the advertised price, but cash on the spot has a way of doing that...
_______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #28162
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Major appliances are the same order of object as cars. To get the maximum life, you buy the best you can afford, and scrupulously maintain it according to manufacturer recommendations, and you run it into the ground.
_______
Dennis
Alternatively you lease it (car) for a period not to exceed the warranty, then turn it in and lease another one. Even better, lease a brand that includes scheduled maintenance. Your only expense above the cost of the lease is registration/tax, insurance, and gasoline.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #28163
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Alternatively you lease it (car) for a period not to exceed the warranty, then turn it in and lease another one. Even better, lease a brand that includes scheduled maintenance. Your only expense above the cost of the lease is registration/tax, insurance, and gasoline.
Lord. I confess, I'm too cheap. My current car is 18, going on 19, and if it lasts another 5 years, good. I refuse to be sucked into the whole gotta-have-a-new-car thing. Buy very good ones to start with, maintain the hell out of 'em, and just...drive 'em until they literally fall apart.

Just..a different viewpoint.

Hitch
Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #28164
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Our neighbour is the complete opposite of my friends. He is super careful of his stuff, to the point of rediculousness. He has a café and lives over it. Years ago he bought one of the first 3D televisions, officially so people can watch football/soccer and other sport events in his café (not sure why you would need a 3D television for that). It's a huge thing. But he's afraid it get damaged or stolen, so 99,9% it hangs in his livingroom and it takes 3 people to get the thing off the wall and downstairs. Now his building is, at most, 3 meters wide and about 6 meters deep. In his livingroom the sofa is against the right wall and the tv is up against the left wall. My neighbour and his wife hardly ever watch it because it's so big that at a distance of 3 meters it isn't comfortable to watch and they only tried out the 3D feature once and got headaches.

Also in the café he used to have this great big espresso maching (too big for the tiny café), which was already old when my mother started dating my father (he and the neighbour grew up as best friends). Up until a couple of years ago we got desperate repairmen of the manufacturer of the espresso machine at least once a month. They were looking for replacement parts for the machine, which after 40 years or so they didn't have anymore. He did finally get a new one, a smaller one but still the best of the best and the most expensive one. God knows why, his café caters to regulars, a lot of which are alcoholics, students and the occassional party in the basement. Those aren't the people who want a superb cup of coffee.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #28165
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
It may sound strange now but - if students no longer value a good pot of coffee then something is seriously f~ed up. It's somehow sounds as wrong as it gets.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 AM   #28166
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It 4AM and the smoke detector by my bed had started randomly chirping. Google says low battery. Cats are freaked.

It's too high for me to reach even with step stool. Hubby won't be home for another five hours.

I'm sure it's waking a neighbor up or two. It sure woke me up.

Stupid design.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #28167
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I went through things like that with my mother decades ago when I still lived at home.
She and my father both grew up during the Great Depression, which marked those who did in odd ways.
As said in the rant back then, it's only about certain things that my dad doesn't want to replace. He hangs onto that geyser for dear life, just like he does with the 30 year old freezer, drills or other tools that are decades old and falling apart, but which he actually needs, but doesn't replace. At the same time he can spend hundreds or more on (IMHO) pointless stuff he doesn't need.

He was born during the war, but his parents obviously lived through the Great Depression. Still, I don't think it wouldn't matter, because he wasn't like this when he was younger. My mom, who is 15 years younger however, is also starting to be like that.

"Let's go to X... stuff Y is €1,25 cheaper there."

MOM! Having to get into the car, then drive 5 miles to a different store, find the thing there, wait in line again, then drive a longer way back home as compared to getting stuff Y right here isn't worth it.

"But it does save €1,25."

But it probably looses you more than that on gas, not to mention the time to drive to and from that store, and the time you spend in there. She's always saving pennies here and there, costing her loads of time.

"I don't have any time; I'm always busy. I have to go get the groceries and such..."

Yeah that's logical, you just spent half of the time each month hunting for deals and then driving to and from a bazillion stores in 7 towns, spread over 5 days, which saves you like €20 or so; €20 which can easily be missed, compared to the crapload of lost time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It 4AM and the smoke detector by my bed had started randomly chirping. Google says low battery.
Stupid design.
Most are like that. They start beeping really loud when the battery is low, and the beep often gets faster as the battery level drops.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-27-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 AM   #28168
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah but why is it this only ever happens when I'm alone. Murphys law? I'm 5'5" my ceiling is 12 feet tall. The detector is about 9 feet above me. Even more stupid on the other side of the door frame is a second detector.

The second detector should be farther away from the first. Really bad design.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #28169
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
12 foot ceilings? You must live in one of those beautiful older homes that are expensive to heat and cool but exude a ton of charm.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #28170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
12 foot ceilings? You must live in one of those beautiful older homes that are expensive to heat and cool but exude a ton of charm.
Nope I live in an old apartment with vaulted ceilings. 400sq feet total with one 8000 btu window unit to cool the place and two baseboards heater for winter. It has two large rooms, a tiny bathroom and a laundry room. No closets. The kitchen and living room are one room. We turned the living room into our bedroom because that's where the a/c unit is. The bedroom is the living room/office. The smoke detectors are above the door frame on either side of the door that leads to the living room.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness