Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #23386
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
My brother recently gave me has his old desktop (as mine was completely borked). It's a great little machine, except for one little thing... it's running Windows 8. I've been using it for a few days now, and, I'm sorry, but the "modern" interface... even with the .1 update... still feels like complete and utter ****. What genius thought it was a good idea to get rid of folders in the app list? Why does closing a "modern" app with the mouse have to be so cumbersome? Why is there no easy way to distinguish "modern" apps from their desktop counterparts in the app list? Why can't I at least have the option to run "modern" apps in a windowed environment?

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to my brother for this new machine. I just wish it was running a better version of Windows.

Last edited by Dylrob; 12-29-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #23387
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
My brother recently gave me has his old desktop (as mine was completely borked). It's a great little machine, except for one little thing... it's running Windows 8. I've been using it for a few days now, and, I'm sorry, but the "modern" interface... even with the .1 update... still feels like complete and utter ****. What genius thought it was a good idea to get rid of folders in the app list? Why does closing a "modern" app with the mouse have to be so cumbersome? Why is there no easy way to distinguish "modern" apps from their desktop counterparts in the app list? Why can't I at least have the option to run "modern" apps in a windowed environment?

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to my brother for this new machine. I just wish it was running a better version of Windows.
My father recently bought a new desktop and ran into the same problem. The first time we couldn't find how to turn it off, in the end we managed it through the ctrl + alt + delete menu. He bought the "Windows 8 for Dummies" (which states that it's the most confusing version of Windows yet) and played around with it for a couple of hour before he became so frustrated that he put the old computer back.

I'm currently saving up for a new laptop and I'm not looking forward to having to get used to Windows 8 (or saving up twice as long to buy an Apple).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #23388
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:

Why not just install Win7? It works very nicely, much faster than WinXP ever ran, and although I prefer the handling of WinXP, I enjoy the speed of Win7 and certainly won't upgrade to Win8.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #23389
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My father recently bought a new desktop and ran into the same problem. The first time we couldn't find how to turn it off, in the end we managed it through the ctrl + alt + delete menu. He bought the "Windows 8 for Dummies" (which states that it's the most confusing version of Windows yet) and played around with it for a couple of hour before he became so frustrated that he put the old computer back.

I'm currently saving up for a new laptop and I'm not looking forward to having to get used to Windows 8 (or saving up twice as long to buy an Apple).
I'm sure someone with a Win8 box will respond to this shortly, but you can easily and fairly instantly go back to the "Classic Interface" somewhere in the settings, still running Win8, so that you get a computer that looks and behaves exactly like Win7. I haven't done it myself (no need), but I've seen it discussed in numerous places. Perhaps that will save you and your Dad some problems.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #23390
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'm sure someone with a Win8 box will respond to this shortly, but you can easily and fairly instantly go back to the "Classic Interface" somewhere in the settings, still running Win8, so that you get a computer that looks and behaves exactly like Win7. I haven't done it myself (no need), but I've seen it discussed in numerous places. Perhaps that will save you and your Dad some problems.

Hitch
You are mistaken. 8.1 added the option to boot into the desktop, as well as show the app list before the tile screen, yet there is still NO setting to restore the traditional start MENU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Why not just install Win7? It works very nicely, much faster than WinXP ever ran, and although I prefer the handling of WinXP, I enjoy the speed of Win7 and certainly won't upgrade to Win8.

Stitchawl
Eh, seeing at this isn't going to be my primary machine, I can't really justify the expense. Especially since, if rumors are to be believed, 8.2 may finally resolve the aforementioned problems.

Last edited by Dylrob; 12-30-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #23391
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:

Praise The Lord and pass the gin.
I thought that I was the only one with this problem.
Frustration has set in in Win.8.
Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #23392
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

Praise The Lord and pass the gin.
I thought that I was the only one with this problem.
Frustration has set in in Win.8.
Cheers
Nope.
Saturday a former Saterday employee came by and he told us he hated Windows 8, too. It took him several days to figure out on his own how to shut down his mother's W8 notebook without using ctrl + alt + delete! And he's an IT guy. Eventually he installed Windows 7 on the notebook.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #23393
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Eh, seeing at this isn't going to be my primary machine, I can't really justify the expense. Especially since, if rumors are to be believed, 8.2 may finally resolve the aforementioned problems.
Don't you have the windows installation disk that came with your old computer? If it's the Win7 Family Pack, it's a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that you can install on up to three PCs in your home. It includes both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 12-30-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #23394
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
And in case you got only a "restore disc" boot disc images are legally downloadable
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #23395
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Windows 8 is pretty cool once you get used to it. I made the move from Vista. There is a learning curve, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #23396
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm still on vista even though I have to use a Win 8 two days a week. I'm still frustrated with Win 8 and how time consuming it is to figure out where stuff is and how to call it up.

I was considering upgrading from Vista, but after being exposed to and having to use Win 8, I am going to hold out until this laptop dies.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #23397
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Windows 8 is definitely less intuitive than everything else in recent memory, but once you learn a few tricks, it becomes very simple and rewarding. I'm speaking here of tricks like how to open more than one instance of Paint or Notepad at a time, and how to utilize both the desktop and the apps simultaneously. Ways of getting things done that we took for granted in previous versions need to be learned anew; but now that I've been pretty well assimilated, I don't know if I'd ever want to go back to life outside the collective.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #23398
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It's a PITA for me and takes longer to do anything, even switching back and forth between views. My fingers are crossed that changes will be made before I have to change over.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #23399
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Nope.
Saturday a former Saterday employee came by and he told us he hated Windows 8, too. It took him several days to figure out on his own how to shut down his mother's W8 notebook without using ctrl + alt + delete! And he's an IT guy. Eventually he installed Windows 7 on the notebook.
Rump:

Try these:

http://www.overclockers.com/install-...s-7-time-boot/ or http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-a...ws-7-50009546/

FWIW: what Sharpe says is true. Once you "get" it, on Win8, you don't ever want to go back. However, for those of you that don't like Win8, give one of those a try.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #23400
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Don't you have the windows installation disk that came with your old computer? If it's the Win7 Family Pack, it's a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that you can install on up to three PCs in your home. It includes both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs.

Stitchawl
Unfortunately my old computer ran a 32-bit OEM copy of Vista.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness