Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
Yasen6275
Yasen6275 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Upgrading or kexec-ing newer kernel?

Hi,

Some preface:

The usb port of my Kindle is somehow broken. The plastic base beneath right pin is broken. The pins ok, but after 2-3 charging i have to bend it a little to be able to charge it again. I suppose at some point in the future it will break. Thats why i have ordered replacement board. This one is working perfectly, so i think of reusing it somehow.

I suppose there are alternative places to connect pins for charging and data transfer. I also suppose there is a way to start the system without battery. Or i can solder some other battery.

For all that efort to make sense to me I need to put some resent kernel on it and install up to date distro like Debian.

Obviously for network only accessible box there is no need e-ink or keyboard functionality.

Thats why i'm interested in upgrading/kexec-ing newer kernel.

Last edited by Yasen6275; 03-29-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Yasen6275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That is an awful long chain of supposes.
Lots of luck with all of that.

With that much precision soldering involved in your plan, wouldn't it be much less work to just replace the broken connector?

Have you read the threads here about getting the K3 screen to match the K3 motherboards?
Most are written about replacing the screen and using the existing motherboard, but;
The same problems will exist with replacing the motherboard and using the existing screen.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Yasen6275

Maybe i haven't express my self clearly. I have ordered new board and i'll replace it. The question is will i be able do something useful with the leftover board.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
The K3 USB port is a perfectly ordinary surface mount micro-B connector that overhangs the board edge. Anyone competent at surface mount rework could find a compatible footprint connector and replace it easily. If you don't have a hot air SMD rework station, it would probably be safest to use ChipQuick, but the kit is only economic if you have several boards to do.

Your chances of successfully patching in an alternative power/data connector are poor as the tracks dive down tiny vias right next to the existing connector. If you don't have good enough rework skills and you want to use the K3 motherboard for an embedded application, your best bet would be to carefully align the pins, plug in a short cable, and hot-glue it in place after testing it charges and has data connectivity.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Yasen6275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.M View Post
... your best bet would be to carefully align the pins, plug in a short cable, and hot-glue it in place after testing it charges and has data connectivity.
Great idea Ian. Thank you very mutch. Probably thats the easiest solution.
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasen6275 View Post
Maybe i haven't express my self clearly. I have ordered new board and i'll replace it. The question is will i be able do something useful with the leftover board.
Maybe I wasn't clear -

There are (where) at least 3 different sets of screens/motherboards in the K3 production run.

Mixing the sets of screen/motherboard paired sets will cause you troubles with displaying gray scale.

So don't count the original board as "leftover" until you have confirmed that your replacement board paired with the existing screen will operate.

And certainly do not mess with re-programming the flash of the original board until you have made a full backup of the flash contents.
There are device and owner specific data outside of the file systems, which you are going to need.
See Geekmaster's threads on how to make a full backup of the flash contents, including those areas outside of the partitioned storage area.

Last edited by knc1; 03-29-2014 at 05:08 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:28 AM   #7
Yasen6275

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
...There are (where) at least 3 different sets of screens/motherboards in the K3 production run...
Realy? Probably u r refering to that: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218927. Lets hope that solution in post 10 will work for me. Can u help me with this backp threads. I have hard time finding it.

//just got my new board. I gues i got lucky. Old serial number starts with A010, new starts with A011. No problem with gray scale or my content. New board is with up to date software.

Last edited by Yasen6275; 04-02-2014 at 02:06 PM.