Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #31
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Interesting though that the product pictures show the wifi icon still present on the book edition
These photos are Photoshop CS3 montages.
It does look like photos of iLiad plastics plus inserted screenshot of screen. You can't see the edge between plastics/screen.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #32
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
And will the network manager work with a USB key ? Wifi or 3G (like with Orange) ? If it's the case, it's a rather nice deal compared to the normal iLiad.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #33
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Wrong conversion?

When I did the quick conversion from Euro to US dollars, I got $777.38 USD.

Did I do something wrong is or is this thing going to be even more expensive than the original?

I must have done something wrong since it is supposed to be cheaper.

(Or is the US economy doing that badly)

Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #34
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
When I did the quick conversion from Euro to US dollars, I got $777.38 USD.

Did I do something wrong is or is this thing going to be even more expensive than the original?

I must have done something wrong since it is supposed to be cheaper.

(Or is the US economy doing that badly)

I bet it's related to the weak dollar. Wait until Friday when it's added to their shop. It'll be interesting to see what it's priced at. Also, the Euro dollar may also included VAT Tax, which we do not have to pay.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #35
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
What a kick in the pants, I wait for a year to get one then the week after I get it they come out with a new one. At least its a downgrade so I dont feel bad about my purchase. Just wait until next week when they announce one with 30 day battery life, then I'll just throw mine into a wall and maybe drive over it a few times
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #36
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yeah, Engadget has the price at $770 USD as well. I don't get it?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/07/i...e-book-reader/

As nice as the iLiad was/is, it's always been the priciest e-reading device available. While the option to make notes is the best feature I see, maybe they could tweek some other features (smaller screen? no wireless?) and offer a few different versions to get the price down.

Everyone else seems to be congregating in the sub $400 dollar market with Sony being the cheapest at $299.99 (eBookWise is the cheapest but it doesn't look like they care to market or do a product redesign to compete). There are the CyBook and jetBook in the $350 range with Amazon just below $400.

Not sure what their strategy is. Yes, they do have compelling features (bigger screen, Wacom digitizer) but that is a pretty hefty sum to pay over the competition.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #37
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Ok, but if you want bigger screen and read PDFs what else can you do than buying an iLiad?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
It still comes with wired LAN, see:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/prod...kedition/specs
I believe it says that is "optional".

I can't see a WiFi radio removal reducing the unit by almost $300. That must be one special WiFi radio. Is that really the only difference?

I thought when I read it they were going to be doing a 6inch version... but I guess not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #39
Walk Broad
Connoisseur

Really, all I'd want is a decent size screen (5 - 6 inches) and the ability to make some kind of notes.

It doesn't even have to be with a stylus in my own handwriting, I'd settle for a thumb key board similar to what's on a BlackBerry. As long as I could make some kind of notes in the margin ("Excellent point!" "Must remember that") similar to a dead tree version, I'd be happy.

Granted, you can't take a stock PDF to most of the e-readers currently available, but I've been able to find some workarounds by optimizing the PDF output that makes them look a lot better.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #40
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
...Everyone else seems to be congregating in the sub $400 dollar market with Sony being the cheapest at $299.99 ...
Surely that's the point. If they drop their spec. then they are competing with the likes of Sony and Amazon, and seeing as these are big companies I imagine it would be hard for them to produce a device with the same spec. as these companies and compete on price. If I wanted an e-book with limited features I'd buy one of these other things. But I want the features the iliad has.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wonder if this thread title should be "New iLiad Model".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #42
Walk Broad
Connoisseur

Let me try and rephrase this before it seems like I'm bashing the iLiad (which I am not):

It seems this version of the iLiad IS trying to compete with the lower cost options by dropping some features and lowering the price.

I still like the iLiad, not so much for the screen size, although it is very nice, but for the ability to take notes on what I am reading.

But, as in all things, the cost is the determining factor. My primary interest would be reading on the device, taking notes is a big (big) plus, but, for the budget conscious, not a $400 USD plus over every other e-reading device currently available.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #43
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar View Post
What I want to know is whether it uses vizplex, and more importantly is it's battery life now in the weeks range rather than the day range.
(I'm so used to not ever having to turn off my V2 and it still having almost a full charge even if i leave it lying around for a week)
I agree. Beside the high price, my loudest complaint was the weak battery life. I am very curious to hear from the first hands-on tests how much the Book Editions has improved here!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #44
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I wonder if this thread title should be "New iLiad Model".
Good suggestion. Done.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #45
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Surely that's the point. If they drop their spec. then they are competing with the likes of Sony and Amazon, and seeing as these are big companies I imagine it would be hard for them to produce a device with the same spec. as these companies and compete on price. If I wanted an e-book with limited features I'd buy one of these other things. But I want the features the iliad has.
The biggest thing that contributes to the higher cost (compared to the other devices) is the larger screen size. The iLiad's eInk screen is significantly more expensive than the smaller sized screen that most everyone else uses. The only way you're going to see an iLiad with a cost similar to the others is if they came out with a model using the smaller screen.

iRex can change the spec and drop features all they want, but as long as they keep the larger screen they're not going to be able to compete on price. They seem to be OK with that though, and think of it as a different market. Trying to compare what iRex has with the Sony or Amazon devices is a bit of apples and oranges.

If you want the larger screen, then the iLiad is basically your only choice, and you have to pay a premium for it. If you are comfortable with the smaller screen, then it makes sense to get something other than an iLiad.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad book edition, irex