Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess one obvious suggestion is James Clavell's "Shogun".
Read this one. It is a blast.
I would say this is my favorite book!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You can find them on Amazon as Ebooks now. The first three released are actually the first book divided into three parts. I hope he releases the others too.
http://www.amazon.com/T.-C.-Rypel/e/..._athr_dp_pel_1
Apache

There's a 50% coupon from Kobo that makes the FIRST volume to be about $1.00 cheaper than the Amazon price.

I'm very much tempted to purchase this (along with the David C. Smith trilogy [not Japanese flavored] reissue from the same publisher).
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #18
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Once again, thanks for all the ideas. Lots of great ideas to keep me going.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just bought the first Gonji book.

Very good, so far.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There's a 50% coupon from Kobo that makes the FIRST volume to be about $1.00 cheaper than the Amazon price.

I'm very much tempted to purchase this (along with the David C. Smith trilogy [not Japanese flavored] reissue from the same publisher).
When I bought the first one, only Amazon was selling the ebooks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Apache

I should have also added that I have a UK account with Kobo, in order to fill in the holes that Amazon [U.S.] will sometimes not have available.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I should have also added that I have a UK account with Kobo, in order to fill in the holes that Amazon [U.S.] will sometimes not have available.
As I have an Amazon UK for the same reason.
Apache
Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Apache

Have you read this yet?

I'm currently reading it, and enjoying it very much - which means I'll have to purchase the remaining two volumes!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
Apache
Readaholic

I bought them all in paper when they were first published. And as soon as they were released as ebooks, I bought all three. I really enjoyed all of them. The first three ebooks are actually the first book, The Deathwind of Vedun, split into three books. I am hoping he will also reissue the other books in the series.
Apache
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Empire Trilogy by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts. Not set in Japan, but the setting is definitely inspired by Imperial Japan.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #26
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Japanese flavour but not Japanese?

I think my favourite Japanese-flavoured English book is PK Dick's Man in the High Castle.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #27
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Japanese flavour but not Japanese?

I think my favourite Japanese-flavoured English book is PK Dick's Man in the High Castle.
Only "not Japanese" in the sense that I can't read Japanese. Translations would be fine though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a bit of PK Dick's but not that one.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #28
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Only "not Japanese" in the sense that I can't read Japanese. Translations would be fine though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a bit of PK Dick's but not that one.
Man in the High Castle is kind of like the flavour of green tea over rice. It's not overpoweringly Japanese. It's a bit satrical, too. All the same, it's fun.

If you're OK with literary fiction & are interested in how bushido etc plays out in the modern world., there's Soseki's Kokoro. There is a very good English translation. Another point in that trajectory is in Mishima. Pretty much all of his books from the 1960s deal with martial values in one way or another. Mishima is also capably translated.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Eric Van Lustbader's "Nicholas Linnear" series.

Basically, Nicholas Linnear is a non-Japanese ninja, now living in America. In the first book, someone starts killing people, and it looks to Nicholas Linnear that he knows this man from his past.

1. The Ninja (1981)
2. The Miko (1984)
3. White Ninja (1990)
4. The Kaisho (1993)
5. Floating City (1994)
6. Second Skin (1995)

Warning: there are some... uh... romantic activities in there, described quite explicitly.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-22-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #30
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Eric Van Lustbader's "Nicholas Linnear" series.

Basically, Nicholas Linnear is a non-Japanese ninja, now living in America. In the first book, someone starts killing people, and it looks to Nicholas Linnear that he knows this man from his past.

1. The Ninja (1981)
2. The Miko (1984)
3. White Ninja (1990)
4. The Kaisho (1993)
5. Floating City (1994)
6. Second Skin (1995)

Warning: there are some... uh... romatic activities in there, described quite explicitly.
That is definitely a mild way of describing it.
Apache